Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Feb 21, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #1,516 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just fixed 2 y2 baseboards (the y2 board part). both mine and another one (friend's) had misaligned pins (like I was referring to). I did not have to unsolder them, they are not hard to bend and straighten by hand. so folks, do check that: solder the pins to the board, bend them so they're perfect, then use THAT as a guide to place and solder the mating female socket on the y1 board part. that will ensure they both mate and align well.

just regular finger pressure bends them back into alignment.

TIP: If you use your finger to hold the pins in place while doing a tack solder make sure you put you finger on a pin you are NOT soldering! Those pins conduct heat really quickly!

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:31 AM Post #1,517 of 2,154
My fixed up y2 arrived today, currently listening to it playing Beethoven's Piano Conerto No.5. Marvelous.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #1,518 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TIP: If you use your finger to hold the pins in place while doing a tack solder make sure you put you finger on a pin you are NOT soldering! Those pins conduct heat really quickly!

also has the interesting side-effect that you can now use your index finger to grate cheese!

lol

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM Post #1,519 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My fixed up y2 arrived today, currently listening to it playing Beethoven's Piano Conerto No.5. Marvelous.
smily_headphones1.gif

just wondering how did you get it fixed? I might need some help if i try one

Feb 25, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #1,520 of 2,154
I have this beautiful combo running for a while so now it's time to enjoy the fruit of my labor. Please don't mind the rubber bands as I have yet to purchase the custom faceplates.
biggrin.gif

DSC06097_resize.jpg

DSC06103_resize.jpg

DSC06105_resize.jpg

DSC06100_resize.jpg

Sonics-wise, I think it's marvelous and punches far above its cost. I happen to have a popular high-end DAC on loan with me now and the γ2/σ25 combo can stand proudly side-by-side with the Goliath. I can foresee myself using this combo for a long time until the need arises for a balanced setup.

I want to thank several people that make this project possible: Ti Kan for his patience and countless support in various forms, psychoaudio (a local DIY-er and designer) for his kind help when building got rough, MisterX for introducing me to the world of γ project, Budi for helping me to source the majority of the parts (it's insanely difficult to acquire them here!), fordgtlover for parts consultation and last but not least the people in this thread. A big thank you for all of you!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #1,521 of 2,154
K3cT,
congrats! i like the o-25 too.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #1,523 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mace1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to knock the o25, but that's just a 78XX based power supply done well, I don't see whats so special about it. I have been making them like that for years.

correct, its 'just a 78xx' (any 7800 series, of course; even 7900) in a small footprint (very close to what the TREAD uses for space). it has molex offboard connector provision (tread does not, sadly) and it has some heatsink on the groundplane to help (tread also has no internal HSing).

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #1,524 of 2,154
Actually, you can't use the 79xx series regulator on σ25. The pin-out is different. But, as the σ25 website shows, you can still implement a negative supply using the 78xx IC.

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #1,526 of 2,154
Ok, this is kind of my first post(buying feedback doesnt really count does it?
wink.gif
) Have been idling for some years just reading but felt it was time to do some posts now
smily_headphones1.gif

First of all I didnt really expect an improvement in sound from this build, mostly built for the fun of it. But when testing I found out it sounds much better than my previous DAC(aliendac) just after some hours of listening, so thanks AMB for a great build!

Of course I forgot to order some parts but I was to eager to test it out that I didnt want to wait until monday for all parts to arrive to I frankensteined it a bit to get it to work
smily_headphones1.gif
. First of all I ordered the wrong voltage converter and got 3 4.75v regulators instead of 2 4.75 and 3 3.3 regs. Luckilly enough i had a 3.3 regulator laying around that i replaced the usb regulator with(this regulator felt least important noisewise) Also managed to mount Q1D and Q2D reversed using 2n2222 transistor as replacement and not checking pinout correctly..

The two last errors can be spotted in the following pictures(one on DAC board and one(two) on usb board)
smily_headphones1.gif

IMG_5181.JPG

IMG_5192.JPG

IMG_5182.JPG

Is it worth it to use other supply than usb? Thinking of building some own supply but doesnt really feel like its worth it.

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #1,527 of 2,154
I finally ordered some parts from Ti Kan! (Basically all the parts he offers for y1 and y2)

I'm just gonna go with the full++ config + y2 and everything, with sprinkles on top.
biggrin.gif

Now I have to order from Mouser on monday and I should be set in about a week or two.

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:45 PM Post #1,528 of 2,154
I have the opportunity in the last 3 months to extensively listen to CDs played by a CD/SACD player that uses WM8742 (i.e. Onkyo C-SVL5). To my ears Wolfson DAC indeed sounds good. However, in my opinion what truly sets WM8742 apart from the rest is its ability to use one of the build-in advanced digital filters - Minimum Phase Apodizing filter. The super high-end Meridians 808.2 also uses Minimum Phase Apodizing (although Meridians has to use a 150 MIPS processor and other circuitry to implement it). This filter swept away much of the problem associated with "digital" sound (i.e. fatiguing hardness, edginess, and glare... etc.). The resulting sound signature is almost "analogue". Unfortunately Minimum Phase Apodizing filter in WM8742 is sw controlled (a bad mistake) thus it could not be selected and be easily taken advantage by gamma2.

Feb 26, 2010 at 11:59 PM Post #1,529 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by vekkt0r /img/forum/go_quote.gif
snip...

Is it worth it to use other supply than usb? Thinking of building some own supply but doesnt really feel like its worth it.

Well done. Yes, it is a noticeable improvement over the Alien DAC.

I tried an external PS with my Gamma 1 and could hear any difference over the USB power, as a result I didn't bother testing the Gamma 2 with external power. No noise that I can hear to worry about.

YMMV and it may depend on how noisy your USB power is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back