Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Dec 7, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #1,067 of 2,154
Indeed it is so. AMB's shop (required stuff and hard-to-find parts), Mouser (the tiny parts, IC's), Digikey (out-of-stock-at-Mouser-parts, output capacitors, TOSLINK), and Newark (enclosure) are places where you can source your own parts. It shouldn't be too difficult to make kits, but it would depend on the demand for them.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:44 AM Post #1,068 of 2,154
With the exception of the enclosure, you can obtain all needed parts from me and Mouser. Those out-of-stock items at Mouser all have good substitutes (see recent posts in both gamma threads here).

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #1,070 of 2,154
ouch, Looking at that, I kinda realized I should've ordered from newark instead of farnell UK... I wonder how much are they going to charge for shipping now
frown.gif

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:19 PM Post #1,072 of 2,154
I've ordered the enclosure and 1:1 pulse transformers from them. The shipping was around 13 dollars in the end for UPS saver. Not too bad considering the shipping cost for mouser is 20 dollars for the same service. If only there are no minimum order from them!
mad.gif
(it was 20 dollars for credit card payment)

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #1,074 of 2,154
The bass levels will be in the toilet. You really need something bigger.

[EDIT] Corner frequency at 300ohms is ~24Hz, but for 32ohms phones it would be 226Hz.

Dec 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #1,076 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm just curious as I have another amplifier for that. If the γ2 is not meant to drive headphones directly, is there any advantage using those 470uF caps?

I can't imagine so. You are moving down the audiophile cap ladder in order to get those large capacitances in such a small size.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #1,078 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wizik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I´m building y2, y1 desk is already complete, I was checking it, but resistors R2D,R3D,R14D and R20D is showing only something between 35-38KΩ instead of 47KΩ, I need to change it, yeah ?

If you're measuring the resistors after they've been soldered to the board, then the results include paralleled resistances of other parts in the circuit, so you'll read less than the resistor's value. This is normal and you don't need to replace them.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:38 PM Post #1,079 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're measuring the resistors after they've been soldered to the board, then the results include paralleled resistances of other parts in the circuit, so you'll read less than the resistor's value. This is normal and you don't need to replace them.

Thanks for reply, but I found that R1D (75Ω) have very low impedance, something about 1-5Ω and R9U (110Ω) the same, so this must be replaced I think, or not ? All other values are good. And one more question, if I make a fault for example in some SMD part like U1U and destroy it when soldering it and I don´t know about that, so when I then plug adapter to y1 board, can it destroy because of this more parts ?

I hope you can understand my bad English.

Dec 14, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #1,080 of 2,154
Quote:

Thanks for reply, but I found that R1D (75Ω) have very low impedance, something about 1-5Ω and R9U (110Ω) the same, so this must be replaced I think, or not ? All other values are good.

They are both OK.
You are measuring the in-circuit combined resistance of the resistor and a parrelled component (in the case of R9U and R1D that component is a transformer with very low DC resistance) but expecting to see just the value of the resistor.

Quote:

And one more question, if I make a fault for example in some SMD part like U1U and destroy it when soldering it and I don´t know about that, so when I then plug adapter to y1 board, can it destroy because of this more parts ?

Doubtful but that is one of the reasons why you are instructed to test the USB section separately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back