Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Dec 2, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #1,037 of 2,154
A good/clean linear regulated external supply should be better than USB power, but the difference is not night and day. My measurements show that USB power causes some minor noise floor spikes/hash, whereas it's absolutely clean and spike-free running on a σ25 PSU (or a CUI 5VDC linear regulated wallwart I have on hand that's no longer available). If you'd like a little overkill, you could also use a σ11 and know that the PSU will never be a performance bottleneck.

Of course, different computers may have different levels of USB power noise, so one can't really conclude that USB power will always be audibly worse.

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #1,038 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good/clean linear regulated external supply should be better than USB power, but the difference is not night and day. My measurements show that USB power causes some minor noise floor spikes/hash, whereas it's absolutely clean and spike-free running on a σ25 PSU (or a CUI 5VDC linear regulated wallwart I have on hand that's no longer available). If you'd like a little overkill, you could also use a σ11 and know that the PSU will never be a performance bottleneck.

Of course, different computers may have different levels of USB power noise, so one can't really conclude that USB power will always be audibly worse.

Gotcha. I guess why not since any improvement is good in my book.
biggrin.gif

I've studied the schematics and documentations in the γ1 site. These locations ie. J1D, L4D, C1D, U1D, R14D, R15D, R16D, and U1D (I don't have the U1D installed) are all that are required to be populated for the external 5V DC PS no? Please correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

That should be all that are required to prep the γ1 for γ2 conversion am I correct? JP1U is empty in my γ1 so that shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks, ti.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:39 AM Post #1,039 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've studied the schematics and documentations in the γ1 site. These locations ie. J1D, L4D, C1D, U1D, R14D, R15D, R16D, and U1D (I don't have the U1D installed) are all that are required to be populated for the external 5V DC PS no?

Correct.

Quote:

That should be all that are required to prep the γ1 for γ2 conversion am I correct? JP1U is empty in my γ1 so that shouldn't be a problem.

You should have a wire shunt across JP1U pins 2-3 if you have a γ1 Lite (B) configuration. This selects I2S output from the PCM2707. JP1D should also be shorted with a jumper.

Dec 2, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #1,040 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by PScal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could use some troubleshooting help. I finished the gamma 1 and gamma 2 (yay!) and the initial tests passed. The gamma 1 works, but when I plug in the gamma 2, it does not work. I get an 'unrecognized usb device' error on the PC.

I noticed that the 4.5v and 3.3v test points were measuring equal voltages when powered on (about 2.5 volts) despite reading a large ohm value when powered off. I also measured resistance when powered on and it seems they are shorted (<1 ohm resistance)... but as soon as I unplug it, the resistance goes up (5k ohm and greater). Has anyone experienced this before?

Edit. it appears I do have a short. The 3.3v and 4.5v are continuous with ground even when disconnected. The hunt begins...

So, weird stuff is happening over here. I noticed that the 3.3v and 4.5v are only shorted after the gamma 2 has been plugged in. First thing when I plug it in, everything works. Then after a couple seconds, the voltages go crazy. My multimeter shows this, and the LED switch also comes on rock solid (red, green, red), then starts to flicker (red) after a 2-ish seconds.

After I unplug the USB, the 3.3v and 4.5v are continuous for a few minutes on the gamma 2 board. Over time, the resistance between them increases. I assumed the problem was with the DAC, as it seems to be the only thing that touches both 3.3v and 4.5v, but I can't figure out why the resistance seems to be changing over time. Any advice on this?
confused_face(1).gif
confused_face(1).gif

PS - the gamma 1 sounds very nice
smile_phones.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:03 PM Post #1,041 of 2,154
Quote:

I also measured resistance when powered on and it seems they are shorted (<1 ohm resistance)... but as soon as I unplug it, the resistance goes up (5k ohm and greater).

You cannot measure resistance when the circuit is powered on.

How to Measure Resistance with a Multimeter :: Electronics and Radio Today

Quote:

Remember to ensure the circuit under test is not powered on. Under some circumstances it is necessary to measure resistance values actually on a circuit. When doing this it is very important to ensure the circuit is not powered on. Not only will any current flowing in the circuit invalidate any readings, but should the voltage be high enough, the current resulting could damage the multimeter.

Quote:

I can't figure out why the resistance seems to be changing over time.

You're charging the capacitors.

Quote:

Ensure capacitors in a circuit under test are discharged. Again when measuring resistance values in a circuit, it is necessary to ensure that any capacitors in the circuit are discharged. Any current that flows as a result of them will cause the meter reading to be altered. Also any capacitors in the circuit that are discharged may charge up as a result of the current from the multimeter and as a result it may take a short while for the reading to settle.

Dec 2, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #1,042 of 2,154
Try looking at WM8741's pins 8 and 9, if those are bridged then it will short 3.3V and 4.5V. Heat may cause whatever bridge there is to expand, shorting those two. See if these two voltage points are shorted to ground as well, they shouldn't be.

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:16 AM Post #1,044 of 2,154
Well still no luck. I am certain pins 8 and 9 are not bridged (via multimeter). The circuit seems to be stable for a few seconds (until the caps charge is my guess) then the voltages plummet. Here's a picture of my board... including melted plastic film cap. Any sore thumbs sticking out?

4154055715_c27eac6bfa_b.jpg

Dec 3, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #1,046 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by PScal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well still no luck. I am certain pins 8 and 9 are not bridged (via multimeter). The circuit seems to be stable for a few seconds (until the caps charge is my guess) then the voltages plummet. Here's a picture of my board... including melted plastic film cap. Any sore thumbs sticking out?

Scratch that... cleaned off a little flux from between the pins and she's singing now. Yeah!

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #1,047 of 2,154
Quote:

If I'm using Cardas Quadeutectic (activated rosin core flux) on my Gamma1+2 should I wait until I have flux or will I be fine soldering with it?

I would suggest waiting.
It makes it all a lot lot lot lot more easier when you have flux for the SMDs.

Quote:

Scratch that... cleaned off a little flux from between the pins and she's singing now.

Pins 13 and 14 of U4 by chance?
They look pretty close in the picture and it fits the symptoms you had described.
Nice assembly job.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #1,048 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would suggest waiting.
It makes it all a lot lot lot lot more easier when you have flux for the SMDs.

Ok thanks for that.
smile.gif

Damn DealExtreme, they need to get their sh!t together.
frown.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:00 PM Post #1,049 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn DealExtreme, they need to get their sh!t together.
frown.gif

You really need to stop looking to the internet, when a trip to your local store is so much easier...... Solder Flux Pen 12ml - Jaycar Electronics

I built two y1's with this pen, and it works perfectly.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #1,050 of 2,154
Thanks beefy, I thought I had already searched the Jaycar site for such a solution, however, on second glance I only searched for 'flux remover'.

Should've known better, Jaycar hasn't disappointed so far.
smily_headphones1.gif

Cheers,
Matt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back