Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Nov 30, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #1,023 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ujamerstand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Digikey has them but thats another 20 dollars of shipping,

What method are you using for shipping? I pay $8 for overnight to Ottawa, via UPS with Digikey I wish they had more of the parts I need because it burns me to pay $20 for the faster shipping from Mouser. Mouser only charges $8 for the slow shipping (a week) as long as you aren't in a rush..

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #1,025 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by mattcalf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would this be suitable for cleaning the board of flux after finished building?

Thanks,
Matt.

No, not even close. Try Cat # N0049 at Dick Smith. I'm pretty sure that is the stuff I used to use, and should be 99% isopropanol.

A soft toothbrush can help too.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #1,026 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beefy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, not even close. Try Cat # N0049 at Dick Smith. I'm pretty sure that is the stuff I used to use, and should be 99% isopropanol.

A soft toothbrush can help too.

Thanks beefy, will swing by DSE and grab that stuff when the time comes.
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:44 AM Post #1,027 of 2,154
Well, I think I might have confused digikey's 8 dollar shipping with mouser's. Mouser's 8 dollar shipping has yet to arrive on me. It's been over a month, and I'm still waiting... It's good to know a cheaper, faster option!

Final question before I go, what is the minimum power rating for the resistors in gamma-2? I was afraid to use the 1/20 watt RN50 resistors when the ones listed on the BOM was 1/8 watt.

Oh, and thanks for answering my questions!

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #1,028 of 2,154
Quote:

Final question before I go, what is the minimum power rating for the resistors in gamma-2? I was afraid to use the 1/20 watt RN50 resistors when the ones listed on the BOM was 1/8 watt.

Don't worry about the power rating of resistors on these boards. None of them would dissipate enough power to come close to these ratings. Also bear in mind the ratings between the RN50s and the others are not directly comparable, because RN50 is rated using Mil-spec and are at least "derated" by a factor of two.

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #1,029 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't worry about the power rating of resistors on these boards. None of them would dissipate enough power to come close to these ratings. Also bear in mind the ratings between the RN50s and the others are not directly comparable, because RN50 is rated using Mil-spec and are at least "derated" by a factor of two.

Great, that means I just need to double check my BOM to make sure I have all the parts before making the purchase.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #1,030 of 2,154
I could use some troubleshooting help. I finished the gamma 1 and gamma 2 (yay!) and the initial tests passed. The gamma 1 works, but when I plug in the gamma 2, it does not work. I get an 'unrecognized usb device' error on the PC.

I noticed that the 4.5v and 3.3v test points were measuring equal voltages when powered on (about 2.5 volts) despite reading a large ohm value when powered off. I also measured resistance when powered on and it seems they are shorted (<1 ohm resistance)... but as soon as I unplug it, the resistance goes up (5k ohm and greater). Has anyone experienced this before?

Edit. it appears I do have a short. The 3.3v and 4.5v are continuous with ground even when disconnected. The hunt begins...

Dec 2, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #1,031 of 2,154
Quote:

Great, that means I just need to double check my BOM to make sure I have all the parts before making the purchase.

Please triple, you may not be as stupid as I am. But I made a few mistakes that almost resulted in me paying alot more to do another mouser order!
wink.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #1,033 of 2,154
Dec 2, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #1,035 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK. Just making sure, if I want to convert the y1 Lite to y2 I would need to make it accept external 5V DC power and short JP1 no?

No, γ2 can run on whatever power source option(s) you choose to use on the γ1. JP2U should be used only if you don't have U1D installed, and want to hard-wire the power source to USB or external only. Please see the jumper settings table on the "Instructions" section of the γ1 website. JP1D should be shorted with a jumper.

EDIT, if you're referring to JP1 on the γ2 board, and your γ1 is a "Lite" config, then yes, you need to install a jumper there. The γ2 website has detailed info on this. This is completely unrelated to USB vs. external power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back