Gamma-2 (γ2) DAC Thread
Aug 16, 2009 at 11:39 PM Post #376 of 2,154
Pins 1 and 3 are connected probably not within U6D but from the traces on the PCB. You can verify it by looking at the schematics. Chances are, you didn't burn it yet.

As for pin 2, that is connected to ground.

If it helps, I once bridged 1 and 2 on a similar voltage regulator, and the chip got hot enough to smoke (maybe it smoked the flux that was stuck nearby), extremely hot to touch. That chip still works properly!

Aug 16, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #377 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinyFalcon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pins 1 and 3 are connected probably not within U6D but from the traces on the PCB. You can verify it by looking at the schematics. Chances are, you didn't burn it yet.

As for pin 2, that is connected to ground.

If it helps, I once bridged 1 and 2 on a similar voltage regulator, and the chip got hot enough to smoke (maybe it smoked the flux that was stuck nearby), extremely hot to touch. That chip still works properly!

I should have RTFM.
smily_headphones1.gif
You're right, the schematic says pins 1 and 3 are connected via PCB.

Aug 17, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #379 of 2,154
Question regarding Front Panel Express. Is it possible to get a panel that has the cut edge anodized? If not any other ideas to hide the shiny cut edge? I am using black anodized material.

Thanks

Aug 17, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #380 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question regarding Front Panel Express. Is it possible to get a panel that has the cut edge anodized? If not any other ideas to hide the shiny cut edge? I am using black anodized material.

Thanks

First question, I don't think so, but maybe. Second question, Birchwood Casey makes a product called "Aluminum Black" that is for applying a relatively permanent black finish to aluminum... you pretty much wipe it on and wipe it off, I think. You might try it, but I've never used it so I can't vouch for the results.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #381 of 2,154
Quote:

Is it possible to get a panel that has the cut edge anodized?

Yes.
There are two ways to do it. You can send them the panels that came with the enclosure and chose the "use customers material" option or ask them to anodize the panels after they have been machined (which is very expensive).

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #382 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes.
There are two ways to do it. You can send them the panels that came with the enclosure and chose the "use customers material" option or ask them to anodize the panels after they have been machined (which is very expensive).

that part "very expensive" makes it less appealing for a cosmetic feature. Heck the panels are pricey as is if by "very expensive" means doubling the cost then I will probably pass. I do understand the extra cost on FPEs side though.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #383 of 2,154
Ordered Gamma Y1+++ Full kit, and reseived my case today ready for the Y2
smile.gif
. anyone have a template for the Y2 panels? or even better pre-cut? the case is silver btw
dean0

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #384 of 2,154
I think AMB mentioned somewhere that he would be doing panels like his current gamma1 and mini^3 panels for the gamma2 once production starts... I imagine someone could share frontpanel express files for their own, also. I'm planning to do some FPE panels for mine, but it might be a week or two before I get around to it.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #385 of 2,154
dean0, you're jumping the gun a bit...
wink.gif

Production boards have yet to be ordered, and the panels needs to match them. The prototype boards in circulation now are slightly different because I made some tweaks to the locations of panel components.
I will publish the production panel dimensions when I'm ready.

Aug 19, 2009 at 6:50 PM Post #386 of 2,154
I finished my build late last night after seeming endless alcohol scrubs to get all the flux off. I ran through the y1 initial check procedures and am now happily listening via USB. I have tried out both y1 3.5 mini output, and the y2 RCA output. I have not tried the y2 mini output yet.

Happily it worked the first time. I can not stress enough how important it is to check each SMD part - Visually with magnification, and with your meter for cold joints or solder bridges. It would have been very difficult to find - let alone fix these on a fully populated board.

Will post pictures of my build progress - hopefully tonight.

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #388 of 2,154
Is finaly done !

Gamma2_Komi_1.jpg

Gamma2_Komi_2.jpg

Gamma2_Komi_3.jpg

Sound GREAT, looking good !

Guys - get soldering irons ready, and stay in line dor boards from AMB LAB !

Big THANX to Ti and Mister-X for exelent project and help to build THAT one !

Aug 19, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #389 of 2,154
Quote:

Originally Posted by dean0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered Gamma Y1+++ Full kit, and reseived my case today ready for the Y2
smile.gif
. anyone have a template for the Y2 panels? or even better pre-cut? the case is silver btw
dean0

I got set of FPE engraved and pre-cut faceplates - black !

Interested ?

Aug 20, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #390 of 2,154
komi, wow, your panels raises the bar on bling factor! What did you use for the 3.5mm jacks?

P.S. dean0 is waiting on production boards, which won't work with panels made for the prototypes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back