Gaming... I know... I know... another thread
Oct 23, 2009 at 11:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

XizorGetspeed

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Noob here to the forums. I've spent the past few days searching and reading so many posts and recommendations on the ultimate in gaming headsets,phones,buds etc, that I'm totally confused and undecided.

So here is the deal. Currently I have the Auzentech Prelude card. Attached to it have the Razer Barracuda 5.1s... Yes they're crap, I learned the hard way. I can't stand it. I've learned.

So I'm coming to the experts.

100% gaming here... I don't need them for music or movies. (although I'll probably end up watching the occasional movie on them, hell why not)

I don't need to have a built in mic, I can just pick up the zalman high sensitivity clip on mic for like $10.

I've read a few reviews on the edge gx400 and what intrigues me is that it will allow you to pinpoint not just what direction but what distance... i.e. a guy shooting you from 10 feet to a sniper 100 feet away.

That sounds awesome to me (excuse the pun!)

I don't know how I feel with buds in my ears for a long time, but the barracudas make my ears hurt after a while too cause they squeeze against my head... Also, I read that long term in ear solutions will ruin your ears?

in terms of headphones, I see good stuff being said about the audio technica and sennheisers as well...

so I'm looking at you guys to help me out.

I want to buy this once and buy this right.

I want positioning, distance, bass, I want it all... and I want it for $200 if possible...

so what are my options
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks in advance

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #2 of 29
Well as alternatives to Razer, there's Steelseries and Turtle Beach. Stuff like...
Information - SteelSeries
or
Turtle Beach - USB PC Gaming 5.1 Headset - Ear Force AK-R8

If you're after all the positional stuff in game terms, the realm of hifi is not really going to help you. Those fancy 5.1/7.1 headsets are probably better for that compared to the meagre 2.0 of headphones.

That said, a good quality headset will still improve your game by making overall sounds more distinct. Isolation will probably be one of your main goals, which is what makes IEMs popular. I can't really make recommendations on what kind of cans will sound good for games, so I'll let someone else chime in on that.

Oct 24, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #3 of 29
well positional stuff and of course overall quality of sound... the barracudas i have have a hissing sound for example....

i'd like to be able to hear every detail, you know... i.e. tell apart from 1 set of footsteps and 3 sets...

Oct 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #7 of 29
Cool. So from your review... The ad700 is best buy because there are only slight gains but you pay double to get into the hfi 780 which are the best. Still if they truly are the best they fall within my budget... But how do these compare with the gx400?

The idea of iems intrigue me. I'm also an owner of nvidia 3d vision, and when wearing the glasses, cans press the glasses into my head and I'm worried about damaging the glasses... But then again it could be because my barracudas are tight... But I wouldn't say overly tight because hey they need to create that seal right...

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 29
Hmmm for some reason, I was thinking that the hfi780 was for 179 at amazon but they are 249... Putting them outside my budget and more than double than ad700

still I'm curious to see what you guys have to say about the gx400.

Between the gx400 and ad700 what should I get...

Oct 24, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #11 of 29
iems don't really bring a big sound stage so gaming on them is pretty bad. AD700s are VERY loose headphones you dont even really feel them on your head b/c their so light and loose i dont think it will affect you wearing them with glass's

Oct 24, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 29
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/bes...ml#post3901889

I know he will of course be biased... but the amazon reviews (and I know that half of them are from the same clan) seem very convincing... especially the guy talking about how he could pinpoint a sniper hiding in bushes like 45 feet away at that was above his own footsteps, the shooting around him, grenades etc...

Are you a gamer by chance? I'd love to see how the ad700s perform in games like cod4, counterstrike, graw2, etc...

also, with either of these options is my prelude sufficient to power them?

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:07 PM Post #13 of 29
anything with the word gaming on it is always over priced and always worse then something cheaper. prelude will power anything you throw at it really. i play cs:s mostly but i tested all the headphones with cmss and dh in cod:4 cs:s and 1.6. i dont use ad700s anymore but i still own them letting my father use them to watch tv off of them. @ 90$ their a steal. they in the post compare them to beyers , beyers didn't impress me much. just could not get them to do what i wanted they always seemed to just be lacking a little bit that i needed for cs:s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back