Gaming... I know... I know... another thread
Oct 25, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #16 of 29
you guys are making me want to go with the ad700... even though i keep reading they are low on bass, which I guess probably is a good thing for gaming...

keep in mind, i play a wide variety of games not just fps...

the gx400 is promising a very large soundstage (which I understand to be the ability to pinpoint where sound is coming from both direction and distance) and isolation... which would add to immersion?

or would this open air can be as immersive...

another thing that I am curious about is how much sound can those around me hear... i.e. if I'm blasting this way up, can my wife in the other room hear these sounds? I mean if that's the case I might as well forget cans altogether and use my 5.1 speakers...

Oct 25, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #18 of 29
hfi 780 for under $200? where?
smily_headphones1.gif

and regarding the ad700 open air design... so how loud are they to those around me?

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:35 PM Post #19 of 29
i`m back at the ad700... reason is that I want to purchase from amazon.com as I have a $100 gift card that I would like to use... and amazon won`t ship the hfi780 to canada, but they will the ad700 and the gx400.

still curious about the open air design of the ad700... how loud can these get for those around me. I mean if I`m in the same room as let`s say the baby sleeping... will this disturb the baby

at the same time if I get the gx400, I probably won`t hear the baby crying at all..

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:22 PM Post #20 of 29
i have the HD595, my girlfriend can hear them "clearly" as she puts it in the bedroom, which is around a wall, and a good 5 meters away, at normal listening volume for me.

they will leak (the AD700) but it shouldn't wake the baby!

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #21 of 29
hmmm... a toss up... cause if she can hear them clearly i don't know how thrilled I am... my wife doesn't like the loud noises associated with gaming/movies and kind of the reason why i'm using headphones and not my 5.1 speakers...

i guess the plus is that I'll be able to hear the baby crying right...

I keep going back and forth between the ad700 and the gx400

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:02 AM Post #22 of 29
I gathered the parts for my setup knowing that I do a lot of gaming. That moment when I put these Beyers on, that was a true eargasm. I can get bass that I don't even want to stand for a few minutes (intensity-wise), clarity in games beyond belief. Paired with a X-Fi, I can truly hear the EAX effects which is amazing. In BF2 (a game which really pushes the X-Fi) the performance is amazing, positioning is great. Since having this setup, I recommended it to a buddy of mine who absolutely loves it and would recommend it to anyone else.

Knowing what I know now, I will never waste money on "gaming" headsets again. In fact, I stay away from all "gaming" products because more often than not, more than half of their price is in aesthetics. The DT770 can be had for $150ish. Read the reviews on this site and everywhere else, tons of people say these are great for bass-heads, gamers and watching movies. I agree.

*EDIT*
Oh, and hopefully I'm the first to say it. Sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM Post #23 of 29
I hear you about staying away from "gaming" products... I own the barracuda 5.1
frown.gif

however as you probably know the gx400 are rebranded ety 4rp w/ longer cord, mic and some bundled sw etc... Only for another $10 list... And I'm reading crazy good reviews of the etys...

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger today and am leaning towards the gx400.

Oct 26, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #24 of 29
That's just me though. I'm not here to put anyone down, I'm here to tell my opinions and experiences so maybe other people can learn from them.

If nothing else, look at the build quality of the Beyers:
http://www.beyerdynamic.de/uploads/t...O_HT_3c_01.jpg
It's steel and hard plastic, mine have 0 signs of stress even though I've put them on and taken them off more than once a day for probably over a year. If you MUST have 5.1 then I would say stick with speakers because it's hard enough to fit 2 really nice drivers in a set of headphones. I can't imagine a 5.1 headphone having good sound, especially for only $130.

Check this thread out:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hea...-guide-271258/
It helped me decide
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

2-Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO ($150) Bass monsters! Also a good gaming/movie watching 'phone.

Whichever way you go, I hope you make an informed decision and take a step up in the audio world
beerchug.gif

Oct 26, 2009 at 10:06 PM Post #25 of 29
Thanks for all the posts guys.

I'm going with the gx400. If I want lots of bass and overall movie theater affect, i'll throw back my barracudas or just fire up my 5.1 speakers...

seems like this will give me the most immersive, detailed and accurate sound over the other two options (being ad700 and hfi 780). I will post my findings... this is my first time into anything "audiophile" so I don't know how credible my results will be, but hey I'll post anyways...

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #26 of 29
You can buy the HFI-780's for $189.00 USD at RMC Audio (no ship/tax to Texas): Ultrasone HFI-780 S-Logic headphones

Just do the "click for best price" link and enter your email and they'll send you an email with the lowered price.

I have both the A900 and HFI-780's. Both are very easy to drive (don't need an amp). I originally bought the A900's for gaming (prefered closed over the open AD series because of college conditions and because they have more bass) and music bout 4 years ago based on Head-Fi recommendation, have served me well. They're good for pretty much any genre of music and excellent for gaming (detailed, good soundstage, excellent positioning, decent isolation, and engaging bass for immersion). As far as FPS goes, I used them mainly for CS1.6 and CS:S (other genre's didn't matter much but they were fun and immersive for single player games too). My only complaint about them were the pleather pads. They're super comfortable but they started to flake after 4 years of service (i used them a lot... 6-8 hrs a day for 4 years) during the school year). Didn't like the fact they give me a mohawk after prolonged use either, but meh, all headphones mess up your hair.

Little over a month ago, I was itching for a slight upgrade that had a bit more bass (impact/quantity) and bit more forward and Grado-esque sounding (really liked my KSC-75's for rock when I had em before the A900's). I ended up getting the HFI-780's and I absolutely LOVE them. I think they do pretty much everything the A900's do but better. They're more aggressive, forward, bright (not as bright/harsh as the KSC-75's though), overall more detailed, mids are less recessed, and better bass (more tight, detailed, and faster, as well as quantity) - about everything I wanted. I haven't really played online FPS's much recently though, other than L4D, so I haven't really compared them to the A900's for gaming, but they do just fine so far. And according to that link momomo6789 gave, apparently they're very good for gaming. Gaming wasn't really a primary concern when I chose them, though I knew they would do great for movies. My only warning though (for music), if you're very sensitive to higher frequencies (brightness), you might want to look at the Sennheiser or the Audiotechnica series. I don't even really notice, but to a few do. Though the KSC-75's brightness (not to mention simbilance) did kinda hurt my ears when I first got them, until my ears adapted and they burned in. Also, they can be uncomfortable to some, but I don't experience any discomfort at all (and I wear glasses). You can replace the pads with Beyerdynamic DT250 pads if you don't like the pad material. Just make sure you burn them in (recommended 200~400 hrs), because I did noticed they changed quit a bit for the better after a month of nonstop burn-in, which is really surprising considering I was always kind of skeptical towards the burn-in effect (didn't really notice it on my A900's).

So my point is, I highly recommend the HFI-780's. I can recommend the A900's too, though I think the HFI-780's are a step up for music. As far as less bass for gaming headphones, I personally disagree. Though I do understand that some people believe that bass can "cover" up the details from the mids and highs, headphones with more bass offers much more immersion and fun. So unless you're very anal about that and compete, I think bassier phones are better overall (especially if you like it in music).

EDIT: guess I'm a bit late...

Oct 28, 2009 at 11:49 AM Post #27 of 29
Also as far as open headphones and sound leakage goes, in an average sized living room, you could probably hear music playing from across the room even if the TV is playing...

And I would of personally chosen the AD700's over the gx400's purely on the fact that I've seen them recommended around here a lot and have owned the closed AT model and love them. Don't think I've even seen the gx400's mentioned on these forums, but generally IEM's are NOT good for gaming. They usually have a much smaller soundstage and aren't nearly as accurate for positioning in games. Not to mention most get uncomfortable after prolonged use. And also, I kinda have a bias against "gaming" headphones in general (inferior products that are marketed to gullible gamers that don't do enough research on quality headphones... kind of like Bose, Monster, etc. for other audio equipment); can't say I've ever heard of the EDGE Acoustics company either...

Oct 28, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #28 of 29
Well, the gx400 are basically rebranded ety er4p with a longer cord and mic. From what I've seen, etymotics is a respectable audiophile brand.

I will report my findings... If not satisfied I'll end up getting the hfi 780 as well
wink.gif

thanks for the detailed response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back