Gaming headphones for Overwatch
Nov 15, 2016 at 11:28 PM Post #17 of 29
I'd just save the extra $100 and get some Astro a50s. They don't sound bad for gaming and they're wireless. THEYRE WIRLESS

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #19 of 29
Quick side question, has anyone tried the Dolby Atmos in Overwatch? I tried them on my earbuds (Grado igi) and I was blown away on how stereo could produce such 3d sound. I think that is why I want as wide of a sound stage as possible since Atmos is able to take advantage of that.

Nov 16, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #20 of 29
Quick side question, has anyone tried the Dolby Atmos in Overwatch? I tried them on my earbuds (Grado igi) and I was blown away on how stereo could produce such 3d sound. I think that is why I want as wide of a sound stage as possible since Atmos is able to take advantage of that.

It's likely just an extension of Dolby Headphone and other HRTF projects, but with tighter integration to the game itself (which is not a bad thing). From broader experience with various simulacra over the years, "wider soundstage" or "big soundstage" headphones aren't always a match made in heaven for such. I'll also add that good stereo *should* be producing a very dynamic and "3d" sound; the flat, limp, compressed "noise from every speaker" that we're so used to with modern material is not nearly the limits of what the gear can, and should, do. :)

Nov 16, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #21 of 29
For what it's worth, I've owned the DT-990 Pro for a while and decided about two years ago to get the Sennheiser PC 363Ds for my "communications" headphones. 

The Sennheisers have held up tremendously compared to other headsets, and the convenience and quality of the boom mic are tremendous compared to a hodge-podge solution. The sound quality and clarity are fantastic as well. For gaming purposes, I would seriously recommend taking a long and hard look at the Sennheiser line of headsets.

Mar 6, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #22 of 29
I am bumping this thread. 

I own the Beyerdybamic 990's and an O2 amp dac combo and have been using it for Overwatch since May 16. I have enabled the ingame "Dolby Atmos for headphones" setting. I am using an older antlion modmic for voice. 

In regards to footsteps and the like, I am not sure how good they are perfoming. It seems like other people are hearing more footsteps and directional sound than me. I love the headset though, its so damn comfortable. But I am not sure if they preform better than the rest when it comes to gaming. I am using discord and voice at the same time though, that will pollute the directional sound. Anyone else have thoughs on this? 

Mar 6, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #23 of 29
  I am bumping this thread. 

I own the Beyerdybamic 990's and an O2 amp dac combo and have been using it for Overwatch since May 16. I have enabled the ingame "Dolby Atmos for headphones" setting. I am using an older antlion modmic for voice. 

In regards to footsteps and the like, I am not sure how good they are perfoming. It seems like other people are hearing more footsteps and directional sound than me. I love the headset though, its so damn comfortable. But I am not sure if they preform better than the rest when it comes to gaming. I am using discord and voice at the same time though, that will pollute the directional sound. Anyone else have thoughs on this? 

Hey thanks for the update. Could you post a link of the amp/dac you use. I'm getting mix results in google for just O2. To answer your question about footsteps I just used that as an example in quite situations but in the heat of battle I still can hear things much better than say speakers or with Atoms turned off.

As an update for this post, I ended up getting the Sennheiser HD 558 at Best Buy for only 97 dollars new as part of a black Friday deal. So far I really like them but feel like I'm missing out of something more. Currently the little Bravo Audio V2 amp has served me well but looking to upgrade that in the coming months. I did however bid on the DT 990 just to see what one I like best and sell the one I didn't, but didn't win.

Mar 6, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #25 of 29

Hey thanks for the update. Could you post a link of the amp/dac you use. I'm getting mix results in google for just O2. To answer your question about footsteps I just used that as an example in quite situations but in the heat of battle I still can hear things much better than say speakers or with Atoms turned off.

As an update for this post, I ended up getting the Sennheiser HD 558 at Best Buy for only 97 dollars new as part of a black Friday deal. So far I really like them but feel like I'm missing out of something more. Currently the little Bravo Audio V2 amp has served me well but looking to upgrade that in the coming months. I did however bid on the DT 990 just to see what one I like best and sell the one I didn't, but didn't win.

Its the Objective 2 dac + amp. Simiar to this: https://www.jdslabs.com/products/48/objective2-odac-combo-revb/, but a different producer since its bought in Europe. 

I hope you don´t mind me piggy backing a bit here  but :p. I´m in pretty much the same situation as OP, anyone have any recommendations but with a budget of 250-400?

I can at least test the DT 990s for you, since I am using them on a daily basis. Not sure if they are the best with OW, but again, I am using a lot of VoIP that pollutes the sound stage. Hat not tested any others with OW. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #27 of 29
That'd be great :), thanks a lot!

Having only played OW with the BT 990s, its hard to say really. But i know for a fact that after having another friend spectate me, he notices footsteps before me. Now this can any number of things, like our individual hearing, my ambient noice or just generall awareness. He is using a cheaper traditional gaming headphones. Dont know the mark.

I am sorry, but someone with a better method needs to look into this. What about Mad Lusts thread, I remember reading he had tried them?

Mar 13, 2017 at 9:11 AM Post #28 of 29
I hope you don´t mind me piggy backing a bit here  but :p. I´m in pretty much the same situation as OP, anyone have any recommendations but with a budget of 250-400?

I picked up a pair of the DT 990 250 ohms on the forms here. I would say they are more lively than the 558s. The bass is more punchy and the highs are much brighter In terms of positional audio I would say they're a little bit better but not by much. One thing to note however is the 558s and the DT 990s 32 ohms can run off a sound card no problem but the 250s need an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back