Gaming headphones for Overwatch
Nov 14, 2016 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

foamy0665

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I'm looking to get back into headphones for gaming after my 5.1 speakers died on my current PC. Currently, my only real pair of headphones are AKG K240 Sextett running off a Bravo Audio v2 headphone amp, with the cross talk fix applied. I wouldn't mind running any new headset via the headphone amp since it delivers much cleaner power than my PC's motherboards sound card could deliver.

I mainly play Blizzard's Overwatch and use the Dolby Atmos option and my AKGs work but not the ideal. Bass on them was never intended for gun fire and explosions and would want something with more of an open range to better heard my environment. My budget is $200 and if they are just the headphones for that price I would get the Antlion Modmic 4.0 to attach to them. A built in mic would be nice but again not necessary. I care more about the sound rather than how good I sound over VOIP. I also prefer open back headphones purely because I need to be able to hear if someone calls me or when the other half calls me
wink_face.gif
. I have my own office and for the most part it is very quite without any outside noise. Currently for a microphone I have a basic Logitech USB desktop microphone I got 10 years ago.

What I have for a starting point are the following:
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 32 OHM Headphones
http://a.co/5SOr5pN
I have read on the forms that they have excellent bass and good treble for gaming. Couple that with an Antlion Modmic and I'm about at 200 bucks.

Sennheiser GAME ONE PC Gaming Headset
http://a.co/cXlYMAe
Reading and watching some YouTube videos about theses they seem like an overall good fit but most people only talk about how good the microphone is rather than the sound. I would like to hear some of the community's thoughts on the sound stage and over all quality for the price point.

I'm currently running an Z87-G45 Gaming motherboard and it's sound card is good for what it is. https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G45-GAMING.html#hero-overview

I'm open to suggestions and if I'm missing anything for you to ask me please feel free!

Thanks
A middle-age gamer

Nov 14, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 29
Since you already have a headphone amp, you may want to consider the 250 OHM version of the DT990 instead of the 32 Ohm version. I've heard a lot of people complaining about how bright the Beyerdynamic headphones are, but since you have a tube amp that should be fine.

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #5 of 29
Ultrasone HFI-2400 would be my pick. Excellent imaging/sense of space, healthy low-end on demand, punchy, all-around a lot of fun for gaming and listening to music. No attached mic but like you said, you can add one. The Razer Kraken Forged Edition are also devilishly fun for gaming, but they're closed-back and a bit lackluster for music.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #8 of 29
I couldn't find those on amazon. Would they have an updated model?

Hrm - looks like they really are discontinued (they aren't on the Ultrasone product site anymore either). Bummer. Looks like the PRO2900 is gone too, which would've been my second suggestion (albeit at somewhat higher cost). Amazon has the PRO900, which will also be ludicrous for gaming, but they're closed (not extremely high isolation but they are closed-back, which you said "no" to).

Unfortunately there really aren't a lot of open-back cans that have thunderous bass and the like.

Nov 15, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 29
Amazon shows a 250 OHM as well as a 250 OHM Pro version. Any preference or does it make a difference. The price seems about the same MSRP.

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro Vs. Premium

TL;DR The Premium is marketed more toward consumer use, while the pro version is marketed towards studio use. As far as sound goes, they are identical in every way, and even use the same drivers.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #10 of 29
typically I would suggest X1s or X2s for gaming,as they have the rare combo of nice bass impact and wide sound stage,but since youre already used to The Sextett sound i would also suggest DT990....that is unless youre tired of the bright-ish sound of the AKG240s,then ,again I'd suggest looking into Fidelio X1 or X2

EDIT: to be clear I own all three versions of the sextetts and while the 600 ohms have prevented me from ever trying them for gaming,the DT990s are brighter than even the LP(bass light) version of the AKG240 sextetts

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #12 of 29
I have the 600 ohms ones and I don't mind the brightness of them.

All three versions of the sextetts are 600 ohms....

Early production were the bass heavy version
Middle production was medium bass
Late production was bass light.

You can tell which version you have by the color of the drivers

EP=orange
MP=white w/ faint orange around edges
LP= solid white

Nov 15, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #14 of 29
I just looked at mine and they are the medium bass ones. Thanks for the clarification.

No problem....

the difference between bass heavy and medium bass isnt that huge,the bass light version however have significantly less bass.

FWIW while i like DT990 for gaming I kept the X1 over the DT990 because they have a lot better bass slam than the DT990,at the cost of some detail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back