Gaming headphones for 100$ (for surround)
Jan 28, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #16 of 114
Don't think these guys are trying to be mean or anything.I was doing the exact same thing you are doing now.I went to look for some advice on what to buy.I found a post on a forum talking about how much better stereo headphones were than 5.1 sets were for positional audio.I didn't really think it was true.But i started to find more and more posts from different people saying the same thing.A couple weeks later and i got myself the koss ksc75.I blown away.Sounds coming from left, right and behind and so clear.All this for $15?!Only thing you could ever find wrong with them is that their clip ons and that they might not have as much bass as some would like.But i mean its $15 and i think you get it for cheaper now.So anyway just if you really don't want to pay more than $20 for some headphones cause you don't believe us then just get the koss.Theres no way you could be disappointed.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #17 of 114
ATH-AD700s are excellent cans for gaming and are a far worthier purchase than any 5.1 headset. The 5.1 sets I've tried have been the razer Hp1 the TRI-GA600 AX360 and some zalmans. All of these used to belong to friends, I used them while they tried my AD700s. They all use AD700s now.

The biggest flaw in 5.1 headsets is interference between the individual drivers, imagine putting 5 magnets in close proximity to one another and expecting there to be no push or pull one way or another. It just doesn't happen.
If noise leakage isn't a problem for you I heartily recommend you try open stereo cans for a larger soundstage than their closed counterparts.

So to summarize, on a scale of screw-ups buying a 5.1 headset ranks slightly below a hunting trip with Dick Cheney, and slightly above getting wasted and waking up married to a skeezy bar-hag.

Good luck with your decision.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #18 of 114
I used the Trittons for about a year as well as the Turtle Beach sets and I use to think they were a godsend. I shrugged off suggestions about using stereo headphones because they were better for gaming when mated to a surround sound decoder but, boy was I wrong.

Stereo headphones, a good set of stereo headphones, are way better than the 5.1 sets with the 8 tinny drivers. The tiny drivers cannot produce the great sound quality that a good pair of stereo cans can. The sound from the drivers just mesh together making it hard to tell what is going on when there is a lot of action during a gun fight. So, you should listen to the suggestions of the folks on these forums. These guys know there stuff.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:42 AM Post #19 of 114
Another thing that might sway you, few if any e-sports teams use 5.1 phones.
All I have met and played with, use either decent midrange headsets from beyer or sennheiser or a good stereo headphone with a clip-on mic.
Anyway, back to playing portal for me.
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:56 AM Post #20 of 114
Had the Zalman surround headphones - I was quickly converted.

The ear can only hear truely in stereo ( you only have two ears). If the headphone uses a decoder either in the audio controlers or outside equipment it knows how to create the 3D field of hearing in proportion.

Please look at what members say about "headstage" with listening tp concerts and such, the same principle applies. If you are taking about surround sound speakers - it really does matter in that sense because it represents a standardized setup. You cannot create a realistic field from 2 front facing speakers w/o angles or walls. The headphones are however directly aimed at your ear and reflections of your ear do not effect the field.

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:31 PM Post #21 of 114
Ok, you managed to convince me.
So which stereo cans will be a good choice for gaming in the frame of my budget ?
And how can I make them reproduce surround ? and how much will it cost me ?

And if it's possible I'd also like to get a recommendation about a cheap 2.1 speaker system for the same usage (dvd's and gaming).
Now I have in mind the Jbl Creature II and the Altec Lansing VS2421 (and I also consider paying some more and getting a Logitech Z4).
As for a sound card I think I can get a second hand X-FI XTREMEGAMER fata1ity.

Jan 28, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #22 of 114
What is your budget exactly?

Jan 28, 2008 at 1:24 PM Post #24 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by dennis14 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
50-100$ as mentioned in the title.

Hah, my eyes must be broken.

I'd go for a pair of Equation RP-21.

Jan 28, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 114
Beyer MMX1 might be worth a think if you sometimes LAN on other peoples PCs it has a built in soundcard, sounds pretty good and has a mic.

I personally use AD700s with a clip on zalman mic. However it costs a bit over your stated price range new. Second hand it's definitely viable though. If you want you can ghetto mod them with a mic like this chap did.
http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/8...nworthyjc7.jpg

Last suggestion is beyerdynamic DTX 800 can get those for $89 on amazon. They provide good if unremarkable sound and are a closed design which may appeal.

As for the reproduction of surround sound that's between EAX and the soundcard. The headphones can only put out what goes in.

Hope this helps you a bit.

Jan 28, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #26 of 114
I took the advice of this forum and got the Rp-21s. They have a great soundstage for closed cans, but I need to be able to communicate with teammates while I play. I still can't get used to talking out loud with closed cans sealed on my head. I think I might go with the HD555s instead. Just something to keep in mind.

Jan 28, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #27 of 114
So the suggestions so far are:
1. Audio Technica AD700 - 100$
Amazon.com: Full-size Open-air Dynamic Headphones: ANTOnline
2. Equation Rp-21 - 80$
Equation RP-21 Stereo Headphones
3. Beyerdynamic DTX 800 - 90$
Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DTX 800 Trendline Headphones: Musical Instruments
4. Sennheiser Hd555 - 89$
Sennheiser HD555 professional stereo headphone Retail at ZipZoomfly

Anything else ?

And what about my question about the speakers ?

Are you sure that an X-FI s.c is enough for reproducing good surround effect ?
Because I saw suggestions of Sennheiser DSP pro and a 5.1 adapter to be coupled with good stereo cans.

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #28 of 114
i'd say save some money for the dt770

i play counterstrice s. with them and i can say they give you a very good
3d feeling i could easely tell where the enemy whas even if they where somewhere above me, and they are very comfy
tongue.gif

Jan 28, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #29 of 114
I have used 5.1 headphones in the past(still have one) : IT IS CRAP
Better invest in a good headphone and for example a second hand Sennheiser Lucas (I did)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back