Gaming: Dynamic or Electrostats?
Jul 8, 2008 at 3:30 AM Post #46 of 52
Generalization indeed..

GENERALLY, at the same price point, up to a certain mark, open headphones are USUALLY better than closed in sound quality but others will argue to this and there are quite a few exceptions. More air movement for good bass, etc. in open cans. but it doesn't mean open is ALWAYS better than closed.

and if the price difference is quite big you would certainly expect that more expensive cans to be better..

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:04 AM Post #47 of 52
aha! i'm right:p no but seriously i realy realy can't imagine a reason to own open phones unless it really made an substantial diffirence in SQ. even know i'm sacrficing SQ so i can listen on the move without any disturbance from the outside.

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:07 AM Post #48 of 52
you're right i was generalizing, but thats just because the hifi headphone world is such a big, confusing and scary place
frown.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberst Oswald /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi...new here.

I play my games with Stax SR Lambda with a SRD 7 sb connected to a Sony receiver amp which is connected with a Toslink to a Xfi Fatalt1y card. I like a crystal clear sound when I'm gaming (try Aliens vs Predator 2 for that "being there feeling"
eek.gif
) and they fit the need. Deep bass could be better but than they do everything else so well. Only problem I have with them is the open air type design. My wife complains & goes "ape" because she can hear the loud gunfire & explosive noise through them when she goes to bed. For this I am researching a good closed dynamic headphone in the $500.00 +/- range for late night gaming... Denon 5000 (want to try something with a rep for excellent bass) seems about right so far. I have a Sony MDR-V600 that turns pale in comparison to the Stax. Other than that I say go with the Stax and be happy knowing there is no such thing in "overkill" when it comes to gaming.

After reading the thread about the mechanical problems with Denon headphones I have to reconsider my choice for a quality set of closed 'phones for gaming. In the part of the USA that I live in the Bose 3 port (no way am I buying these) are the best phones I can listen to (Circuit City/Best Buy...no real Hi Fi stores in the area) so I will have to buy without listening to them. I would appreciate some suggestions to 'phones of equal quality to the D5000 rep without the "Achilles' heel" within the price range of @ $500 to $700. Thx

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:01 PM Post #51 of 52
You need good soundstage for gaming. Don't go for muddy bass. In that sense STAX is good choice -- but on the other hand closed phones are required for some events. If I have not got it wrong, Staxes leak very much.

(Now where's that "best gaming headphone" link .. someone had it in his sig...)
edit: found it! http://base.teamxbox.com/blog-post/4...01-20-2008/p1/

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #52 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need good soundstage for gaming. Don't go for muddy bass. In that sense STAX is good choice -- but on the other hand closed phones are required for some events. If I have not got it wrong, Staxes leak very much.

Get the Stax 4070 then. Problem solved!
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes, its closed-back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back