Gaming: Dynamic or Electrostats?
Jul 6, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #31 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kilane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is. It's one of the most discouraging things. All in all the foley effects are pretty good, but the directional audio and mastering volume is abysmal. I don't know whether to fault the engine or just poor support for CMSS 3d, but any sound coming from above/below you is not only not useful, it's worse than not hearing anything at all.

Yep, directional audio is pretty abysmal in every single FPS I've ever played , but I don't think its worse than not hearing anything at all, at least you know when you're being sneaked up on. So much development goes into making games look good, but we get just about nothing in the audio department. When someone releases a game with true binaural/holophonic audio... I'mma jizz my pants.

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #33 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1nf1n1tygame /img/forum/go_quote.gif

well first of all electrostates look rediculous, gamers actually wanna look "cool" whilest gaming, second electrstates in my opinion are for listening to good music, by the way are there closed electrostates?

i said there were good closed untrasone's..... never as good as open cans though.

Rubbish i've been gaming in one way or another since 1979 - you could say i've done the rounds both online and offline and imo the only thing that matters is playing winning and enjoying the game. Yes i agree some of the kids like to look cool but you will look a lot cooler wearing lambda's when you are handing them their ass on a plate
biggrin.gif
As for cost i run a gaming rig cooled by triple evaporaters i.e. the twin £500 graphics cards (8800 ultras overclockerd) an intel processor running at 4.5 ghz and -50 degrees, and a -20 degrees water chiller running to the north bridge chip. This cost a lot and looks like garbage (wires and stuff everywhere) but in performance terms there is little to beat it. As gaming goes i like good gear and i expect the same from the headphones hence the reason the ultrasones have been boxed and replaced with the lambdas.

Jul 6, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #34 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rubbish i've been gaming in one way or another since 1979 - you could say i've done the rounds both online and offline and imo the only thing that matters is playing winning and enjoying the game. Yes i agree some of the kids like to look cool but you will look a lot cooler wearing lambda's when you are handing them their ass on a plate
biggrin.gif
As for cost i run a gaming rig cooled by triple evaporaters i.e. the twin £500 graphics cards (8800 ultras overclockerd) an intel processor running at 4.5 ghz and -50 degrees, and a -20 degrees water chiller running to the north bridge chip. This cost a lot and looks like garbage (wires and stuff everywhere) but in performance terms there is little to beat it. As gaming goes i like good gear and i expect the same from the headphones hence the reason the ultrasones have been boxed and replaced with the lambdas.

wow really cool you got an expensive gaming rig... anyway if i saw twin 8800 ultra with water cooling i'd think thats pretty cool:p just about all the "gaming products" these days have a coolness look over them for a reason you know
wink.gif

i agree the coolest thing is to pwn but thats not what i was talking about..

so far i got the best online FPS gaming(and thats what this thread is about) experience with some old 50 euro USB headphones, they were not so great for listening to music but you could clearly hear where everything was coming from(some virtual 5.1 stuff, pretty cheesy i know but it worked!) and thats what its all about. i don't think you need to have a beautifull gunshot sound as long as its clear.

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:44 PM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

i said there were good closed untrasone's..... never as good as open cans though.

So I guess the Ultrasone's flagship model Edition 9 isn't good enough compare to their own Proline 2500 eh?
wink.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I guess the Ultrasone's flagship model Edition 9 isn't good enough compare to their own Proline 2500 eh?
wink.gif

how should i know that? its a common fact that a good open air design will beat a good closed design any day of the week.

i'm not familiar with how good or bad ultrasone is at making closed headphones, i know they make great closed cans, but next to high end open air grado's they're nothing

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #37 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank god we are all different!
Cause some of us think electrostatics looks really nice, while others (like you) think they look ridiculous.

I love the look of Lambda and O2, too. but not 4070.
redface.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #38 of 52
Quote:

how should i know that? its a common fact that a good open air design will beat a good closed design any day of the week.

i'm not familiar with how good or bad ultrasone is at making closed headphones, i know they make great closed cans, but next to high end open air grado's they're nothing

i like your enthusiasm, but please do some research before posting
biggrin.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:06 PM Post #39 of 52
Stax owns.

SR-Lambda normal bias + SRD-7 + decent 45 watt per amp + decent dac like the modded lite ah or Oritek zhalou + Prelude = the best gaming headphone setup I ever had.

I have been there and done that with gaming so yeah, go stax IF it is just you in the room and everything is pretty quiet. I got TONS of details from just chilling and killing in bf2. My teams usually won b/c I knew where "they" where and could always sneak in behind and rip the entire team a new one lol.

blatant plug for me below: aka my sticky on H about gaming cans.

Which Headphones? - [H]ard|Forum

Jul 6, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #40 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjarnetv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i like your enthusiasm, but please do some research before posting
biggrin.gif

so open doesn't beat closed? cuz i was pretty sure it did
smily_headphones1.gif
and say euhm the grado gs1000 doesn't beat the entire ultrasone line? cuz i was pretty sure about that to:p

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #41 of 52
Quote:

so open doesn't beat closed? cuz i was pretty sure it did
smily_headphones1.gif
and say euhm the grado gs1000 doesn't beat the entire ultrasone line? cuz i was pretty sure about that to:p

Do some more research...

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #42 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do some more research...

what am i looking for? can't you just correct me?

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:21 PM Post #43 of 52
I don't know why you always use the word "beat".

An example of a very good closed headphone - Sony MDR-R10. It is considered as one of the very best headphones ever made and with good reason.

How do you know the GS1000 "[beats] the entire Ultrasone line"? Have you actually listened to the GS1000 extensively along with a pair of Edition 7 or Edition 9? I haven't so I won't comment, but it sounds like you have
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #44 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know why you always use the word "beat".

An example of a very good closed headphone - Sony MDR-R10. It is considered as one of the very best headphones ever made and with good reason.

How do you know the GS1000 "[beats] the entire Ultrasone line"? Have you actually listened to the GS1000 extensively along with a pair of Edition 7 or Edition 9? I haven't so I won't comment, but it sounds like you have
rolleyes.gif

well a friend of mine hast the pro 2500's didn't really like the sound compared to grado's.

i can remember some reviewer saying open beats closed hands down every time, i don't see any reason to have an open air headphone other than SQ, i was constantly annoyed by the sounds around me whilst listening to my cans, listening on the move wasn't possible at all:S i was so annoyed i eventually switched.. why if closed cans deliver the same SQ would anyone want to ever buy an open air headphone?:S

or do you like to hear your girlfriend telling you to go listen somewere else because she's watching tv? if SQ isn't it please tell my what open air headphones are for:S

i've never listened to the gs1000 but reading reviews and considering the price diffirence it was kind of obvious to me
smily_headphones1.gif
no?

ok i'm not an expert and i'm not sure about what i'm saying, since i couldn't think of a reason for open air to excist except for SQ, i thought grado's are all open so must be better than those closed ultrasone's. guess not. ok no more open air headphones for me
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back