Gaming: Dynamic or Electrostats?
Jun 28, 2008 at 1:50 PM Post #16 of 52
Looks like I may end up getting the Stax then.

A played a few rounds of COD4 yesterday, and something occured to me: There was just so much gunfire going on I could barely hear my footsteps, let alone the enemies footsteps. I think that a phone with a bass response a little better than the AD700 would be perfect, which I believe the Stax would have.

Thanks for the information and feedback guys. Just one last question: what is a good voltage transformer for the Stax?

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #17 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by tml09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like I may end up getting the Stax then.

A played a few rounds of COD4 yesterday, and something occured to me: There was just so much gunfire going on I could barely hear my footsteps, let alone the enemies footsteps. I think that a phone with a bass response a little better than the AD700 would be perfect, which I believe the Stax would have.

Thanks for the information and feedback guys. Just one last question: what is a good voltage transformer for the Stax?

I play cod4 almost everyday, i think thats just the nature of the game setup. You'd probably want to blame the game designers for the ingame sound mastering.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #18 of 52
I haven't heard both the cans so I cannot say for the specifics but the general impression I got from listening to several dynamic headphones I have had experience with and a friend's HE60 (aka 'Baby Orpheus') is that electrostats doesn't give the bass punch or 'boom'. Though many electrostats have exquisite bass, they probably don't have the impact desired for gaming but don't take my word for it because the only electrosat I have heard is the HE60.

My logic tells me that, an electrostat, in theory, cannot have tremendously punchy, or boomy, bass because they cannot physically move enough air to produce such amounts of bass impact.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #19 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Both setups are similarly priced, how would it be overkill to use Stax?

I probably would go for the E-Stats for gaming out of what you propose, although my most favorable gaming experience was with Ultrasone Proline 2500.

It does not matter they they are similarly priced..... for gaming DT880 or A900 would be better. I have a lot of Stax headphones and love them, but for me they do not work for gaming, the resolution and ultimately revealing nature of Stax phones make game sounds annoying for me. What should sound like birds, gun shots, echo sounds like digitized crap. Stax are too good for games.

In the same way that Aston Martin is to good to drive on beat up Brooklyn roads.

Jul 5, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #20 of 52
Hi...new here.

I play my games with Stax SR Lambda with a SRD 7 sb connected to a Sony receiver amp which is connected with a Toslink to a Xfi Fatalt1y card. I like a crystal clear sound when I'm gaming (try Aliens vs Predator 2 for that "being there feeling"
eek.gif
) and they fit the need. Deep bass could be better but than they do everything else so well. Only problem I have with them is the open air type design. My wife complains & goes "ape" because she can hear the loud gunfire & explosive noise through them when she goes to bed. For this I am researching a good closed dynamic headphone in the $500.00 +/- range for late night gaming... Denon 5000 (want to try something with a rep for excellent bass) seems about right so far. I have a Sony MDR-V600 that turns pale in comparison to the Stax. Other that that I say go with the Stax and be happy knowing there is no such thing in "overkill" when it comes the gaming.

Jul 5, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #22 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberst Oswald /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi...new here.

I play my games with Stax SR Lambda with a SRD 7 sb connected to a Sony receiver amp which is connected with a Toslink to a Xfi Fatalt1y card. I like a crystal clear sound when I'm gaming (try Aliens vs Predator 2 for that "being there feeling"
eek.gif
) and they fit the need. Deep bass could be better but than they do everything else so well. Only problem I have with them is the open air type design. My wife complains & goes "ape" because she can hear the loud gunfire & explosive noise through them when she goes to bed. For this I am researching a good closed dynamic headphone in the $500.00 +/- range for late night gaming... Denon 5000 (want to try something with a rep for excellent bass) seems about right so far. I have a Sony MDR-V600 that turns pale in comparison to the Stax. Other that that I say go with the Stax and be happy knowing there is no such thing in "overkill" when it comes the gaming.

1st POST!

Welcome to head-fi... and sorry about your wallet.
tongue.gif

I am not a gamer, so I can't contribute anything here...

Jul 6, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #23 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by onvn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't heard both the cans so I cannot say for the specifics but the general impression I got from listening to several dynamic headphones I have had experience with and a friend's HE60 (aka 'Baby Orpheus') is that electrostats doesn't give the bass punch or 'boom'. Though many electrostats have exquisite bass, they probably don't have the impact desired for gaming but don't take my word for it because the only electrosat I have heard is the HE60.

My logic tells me that, an electrostat, in theory, cannot have tremendously punchy, or boomy, bass because they cannot physically move enough air to produce such amounts of bass impact.

I game with my HE60, but I also turn on my 200W Logitech 2.1 and whack up the subwoofer:
redface.gif
Best of both worlds
cool.gif

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #24 of 52
OMG you're seriously thinking about electrostats for gaming?:p just go buy a 50 dollar pair of sennheisers or maybe SR-80, soundquility is irrelevant when gaming.. actually its bets to got some closed phones if you really want to stay with the game.

closed isn't that great for the sound quality though

Jul 6, 2008 at 1:35 AM Post #26 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1nf1n1tygame /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG you're seriously thinking about electrostats for gaming?:p just go buy a 50 dollar pair of sennheisers or maybe SR-80, soundquility is irrelevant when gaming.. actually its bets to got some closed phones if you really want to stay with the game.

First you said sq is irrelevant when gaming, then you said sq isn't good using closed cans...so in the end, it matters
smily_headphones1.gif

What's wrong with using electrostatics for gaming?? I'm sure that wouldn't be the only thing he uses his headphone for. Btw, closed cans can have damn good sq too. The D2000 comes to mind.

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #27 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oberst Oswald /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi...new here.

eek.gif

Great first post.
Welcome to Head-Fi!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Well, obviously you care about sound quality for gaming headphones as well.
Or else you would not have used sound quality as a point against closed 'phones.
wink.gif

I don't see anything wrong with using electrostatics for gaming. I do that myself, and find them more than capable (even a closed back one...)...

Jul 6, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #28 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by penguindude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I play cod4 almost everyday, i think thats just the nature of the game setup. You'd probably want to blame the game designers for the ingame sound mastering.

It is. It's one of the most discouraging things. All in all the foley effects are pretty good, but the directional audio and mastering volume is abysmal. I don't know whether to fault the engine or just poor support for CMSS 3d, but any sound coming from above/below you is not only not useful, it's worse than not hearing anything at all.

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #29 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First you said sq is irrelevant when gaming, then you said sq isn't good using closed cans...so in the end, it matters
smily_headphones1.gif

What's wrong with using electrostatics for gaming?? I'm sure that wouldn't be the only thing he uses his headphone for. Btw, closed cans can have damn good sq too. The D2000 comes to mind.

when someone is making a choice between high end headphones he's propably gonna have SQ in mind, thats why i mentioned it, SQ is still irrelevant whilest gaming.

well first of all electrostates look rediculous, gamers actually wanna look "cool" whilest gaming, second electrstates in my opinion are for listening to good music, by the way are there closed electrostates?

i said there were good closed untrasone's..... never as good as open cans though.

Jul 6, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #30 of 52
Quote:

when someone is making a choice between high end headphones he's propably gonna have SQ in mind, thats why i mentioned it, SQ is still irrelevant whilest gaming.

well first of all electrostates look rediculous, gamers actually wanna look "cool" whilest gaming, second electrstates in my opinion are for listening to good music,

Thank god we are all different!
Cause some of us think electrostatics looks really nice, while others (like you) think they look ridiculous.

Sound quality counts for games as well, imo. But that may be just me...

Quote:

by the way are there closed electrostates?

There are indeed.
Look up on Stax 4070, or check out this picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back