[Gaming] Astro Mixamp or better off sticking with my Denon AVR receiver that pushes 'matrix' virtual surround towards my headphones?
Aug 2, 2011 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

ThomCube

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

First off all I'd like to thank you all for the wonderful advice I've already gotten while lurking, but this time I have a question I cannot find an answer to.

I love online gaming on my PS3, especially the Call Of Duty series. For sound I use my Denon AVR 1610 receiver with a Sennheiser HD 448 headphone.
My PS3 is connected with the Denon via an HDMI cable.

For a good sound experience I put my Denon receiver on 'matrix' mode (It has a video-game mode too but I don't like the way it seems to even out footstep noises) to simulate surround sound in my headphones.

I can easily differentiate sounds coming from:
- the front
- the left
- the right
- the front left
- the front right

However I cannot distinguish sounds coming from any rear (Rear Left, Rear Right, or even plain Rear); they all seem to sound the same as if they were coming from the front.
I have tried browsing all the different virtual surround modes my Denon AVR offers when connecting a headphone, but none of them seem to make a difference in directionality...

My question is now: would an Astro Mixamp be better at this job then my Denon AV receiver?

Thanks in advance for all replies and tips!

Sincerely,
Cube

Users who are viewing this thread

Back