Gaming: AD700 vs MDR-F1
Jan 30, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #47 of 78
Jan 31, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #49 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Liver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the Sonys and the Beyers. I much prefer the Sonys for gaming. Sound, spatial positioning and comfort (like no other).

And the 880's are the most comfortable headphones i've tried, so that says a lot for the F1's.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:01 AM Post #50 of 78
Yeah, they literally feel like a feather is on your head. My only complaint is finding the right angle to place my ears. There is a sweet spot. You can actually postion your ears farther away for a wider sound stage, but you lose the intamacy cause the sound is harder to hear.

Feb 7, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #51 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, they literally feel like a feather is on your head. My only complaint is finding the right angle to place my ears. There is a sweet spot. You can actually postion your ears farther away for a wider sound stage, but you lose the intamacy cause the sound is harder to hear.

I have written about this before, and now again. Do not discount the comfort factor in your choice of headphones.

If they sound fantastic, but you need some motrin with them, well I know that I will not wear them for extended times.

Yes the 880s are quite comfortable, one of the best. Once I tried the Sonys, well they are in a league all their own (in regards to comfort).

The Sonys do have a high-mid to high end sound to them, but not quite to put them in the contention with the "big" boys.

You could literally go to sleep with them on, get up the next morning, go to work (with out a shower) and discover you still had them on.

Light as a feather and no enclosed chamber for your ear (so no heat build up).

Makes me want to get another pair as a spare.

Feb 12, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #52 of 78
Just thought i'd add my 2c here.
Having upgraded from AD700s to DT880s the only negative thing I will say about the DT880s is, the AD700s were better for positional sound in games. This may be because of the less bass, I do not know but when using AD700s it was easier to pin point enemies.

Feb 12, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #53 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by liamlw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just thought i'd add my 2c here.
Having upgraded from AD700s to DT880s the only negative thing I will say about the DT880s is, the AD700s were better for positional sound in games. This may be because of the less bass, I do not know but when using AD700s it was easier to pin point enemies.

That's because the AD700 have one of the widest stages money can buy. If open and airy soundstage is your thing (it's certainly mine), very few phones, FWIR, can match it (nevermind exceed it).

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #55 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by lucky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because the AD700 have one of the widest stages money can buy. If open and airy soundstage is your thing (it's certainly mine), very few phones, FWIR, can match it (nevermind exceed it).

Electrostats blow them away in soundstage. So i would consider that to "exceed" them.
wink_face.gif

And the DT880's have better synergy with Dolby Headphone DSP for 5.1 positioning then the AD700's. But I've never tested the two in FPS gaming without Dolby Headphone DSP. I honestly cannot tell where sound is coming from in stereo in FPS.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #56 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrostats blow them away in soundstage. So i would consider that to "exceed" them.
wink_face.gif

And speakers blow away electrostatics. But in a conversation about dynamic headphones, there's very little that approaches the AD700 stage, no matter how much you spend.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #57 of 78
Quote:

As far as left to right depth, width, extension, and size, the MDR F1s will better the AD700s.. It's just the way they are designed..For front and back depth and width, the AD700 will probably be bigger.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #58 of 78
Quote:

And speakers blow away electrostatics. But in a conversation about dynamic headphones, there's very little that approaches the AD700 stage, no matter how much you spend.

Speakers blow away electro stats headphone I assume? Sound stage?

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #59 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Foe-hammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink_face.gif

And the DT880's have better synergy with Dolby Headphone DSP for 5.1 positioning then the AD700's. But I've never tested the two in FPS gaming without Dolby Headphone DSP. I honestly cannot tell where sound is coming from in stereo in FPS.

Yes, theres a reason why the SYMTH creator choice the STAX 404 for his system. I doubt it was a random pick.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #60 of 78
Quote:

I though we were talking about headphones?

Oh ya, real world sound blows away speakers.....
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back