Gamer and an audiophile: what should I get?
Mar 2, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #18 of 21
the specific type of digital output doesn't really matter (except that you might need an adapter).

with the x-fi xtreme music you just won't be able to use a mic at the same time as the digital out, but you can either unplug it for that or (preferably) use the onboard sound card's mic in instead.
(thanks for that piece of advice, soloz2
smily_headphones1.gif

as to the question whether the soundcard matters at all when using an external dac: if you're an audiophile it does. the soundcard should be able to provide bit-perfect output (no internal resampling). not all resampling is equally bad, but from all accounts the pre-xfi creative labs cards (including the audigy line) were far from ideal. there are cheaper solutions for bit-perfect output than the xfi, but as audiophile AND gamer you don't really have much choice. (vista might change this, though...)

Mar 2, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #19 of 21
Interesting thread. I am thinking of getting a headroom micro dac. Do I need the front panel for the X-fI to connect it to the DAC?

I was thinking of an EMU 0404 since it´s much cheaper but then I get some very neird noices on my X-fi when playing games too so I think I need the DAC all the time... Not sure if it would help but worth a shot hopefully...

the elite fps pro which has the same dac as the headroom micro dac cost over 299 buck even and that may not solve the crackling issue...

Mar 3, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pm@c /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Arent the Z5500s an amazing set of speakers. RAWRRR goes the bass unit!! PUMP PUMP. I love it. Although sadly havent heard from it in over 2 months since im living away from home and my landlord is a crappy old woman who complains about everything and doesnt want loud speakers, thus why I purchased my DT770's.

x2

I love my AL-THX setup, but my DT770's suffice while I live in this apartment building. Just got them, and they are amazing. By the way, I'm coming out of my soundcard to an external amp. Is there anything I can put inbetween the soundcard and headphones, maybe one of the DAC's? How much does the DAC really help with video games anyway? The DT770's are pretty amazing on their own, but I love to tweak...

Mar 3, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #21 of 21
As for DAC I think it´s very small improvements to be made at least if you have the Xfi but if you are a true headphile that small improvement may be enourmous lol.

I have absolutely no problems with my X-fi for games and they work great for music as well.

I did get an X-meridian and though it in games which didn´t support EAX sounded slightly better on my 750... They can certainly drive them a bit better and since I am getting an amp anyway I wonder if that won´t even them out a bit...

Anyway the X-meridian sounds a bit better but I really like the x-fis sound signature... And it´s not 200$ worth of difference so I returned the X-meridian.

I am now going to try an Elite Pro and if I still get crackles I will probably go with a ZhauLue 2.5 A... Much much cheaper then headroom micro dac. Don´t support USB though but optical works with both my xbox 360 (which has a lousy dac) and the Elite PRO without having to pay an extra module...

X-meridian also has optical output so that should work as well if you get that...

but an amp will help but how much a DAC will is questionable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back