Gamer and an audiophile: what should I get?
Feb 26, 2007 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

shoenberg3

100+ Head-Fier
Although I am not an intensive gamer, I am getting my computer rig ready for games such as Crysis, Alan Wake, and such. So I would probably like a X-Fi (which X-Fi do you recommend?). But I do not think X-fi is quite good enough for my music needs. Would getting a USB-DAC solve the problem? If I were to use a DAC, would my soundcard matter at all (at least for music)? I am asking this so that I am assured that I don't need something like Juli@ or EMU to get the most of the computer experience. How is the compatibility for some of these USB-DACs with Vista?

Thank you

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoenberg3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Although I am not an intensive gamer, I am getting my computer rig ready for games such as Crysis, Alan Wake, and such. So I would probably like a X-Fi (which X-Fi do you recommend?). But I do not think X-fi is quite good enough for my music needs. Would getting a USB-DAC solve the problem? If I were to use a DAC, would my soundcard matter at all (at least for music)? I am asking this so that I am assured that I don't need something like Juli@ or EMU to get the most of the computer experience. How is the compatibility for some of these USB-DACs with Vista?

Thank you

I'm extremely happy with my dt990 being powered by a meier corda aria through USB. It sounds wonderful with anything you toss at it. Great surround sound with movies. I havent tried games but I'm sure it would be the same. Needless to say, music is very satisfying.

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 21
Start with the XfiXtremeMusic; then, get something else for music if not satisfied with the Xfi. I was unhappy with Xfi for music; but, very happy with the E-MU 0404 USB. The XMeridian may be a one card good choice if your'e not heavy into fps games. We seem to be gravitating to using multiple cards-- each having its own purpose. I still choose the Xfi > Z5500s for movies as well as games.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 21
Get the XFi, and when you are ready, get a dedicated external DAC, hook it to the digital out of the XFi, use an external headphone amp, and enjoy the best of both worlds. You can switch the XFi mode if you want and also hook it up to a surround desktop speaker system if you want the surround experience for gaming.

USB DAC/(AMP)s work well too, and are really great in a movable system. You won't get any of the game specific, or positional information from one though.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:31 AM Post #6 of 21
x-fi xtrememusic for games, and if not enough, get an external DAC/AMP combo... eg. e-mu 0404 usb, etc.

Feb 26, 2007 at 7:01 AM Post #7 of 21
Note that if you use programs like Ventrilo or Teamspeak, you can't use a mic while using the digital out from X-Fi XM. Mic (and line) in is in the same jack, named FlexiJack. Of course, an USB microphone would still be usable.

Feb 26, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #8 of 21
I built myself a USB DAC and whenever I want to listen to my headphones which are connected to a CKKIII, i just plug the usb dac in and the sound automatically comes out of the usb dac. When I pull it out, it immediately reverts back to my soundcard output to my speakers or headphones (gaming).

It is very convenient and should offer a much cheaper implementation for bit perfect. I noticed a significant improvement in sound when using the DAC when listening to music. I haven't tried it gaming yet.

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tuhnu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Note that if you use programs like Ventrilo or Teamspeak, you can't use a mic while using the digital out from X-Fi XM. Mic (and line) in is in the same jack, named FlexiJack. Of course, an USB microphone would still be usable.

this problem can be fairly easily overcome. I have an x-fi and use the digital output for better sound, but still needed a mic for gaming. I enabled my mobo's onboard sound and configured my computer to use the onboard mic input and to output everything through my x-fi

Feb 27, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #10 of 21
I'm a pretty heavy gamer. My setup isn't exactly what you'd call ideal for gaming, but it does just fine. I used to be big into soundstage for gaming, X-fi, EAX, etc... now all I really care is that I can hear the game. I also intend to use my PC for intensive games, I am DYING for UT3 to come out. Been playing since Unreal I.

I just use a logitech desktop USB mic.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dragon Rider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Start with the XfiXtremeMusic; then, get something else for music if not satisfied with the Xfi. I was unhappy with Xfi for music; but, very happy with the E-MU 0404 USB. The XMeridian may be a one card good choice if your'e not heavy into fps games. We seem to be gravitating to using multiple cards-- each having its own purpose. I still choose the Xfi > Z5500s for movies as well as games.

Arent the Z5500s an amazing set of speakers. RAWRRR goes the bass unit!! PUMP PUMP. I love it. Although sadly havent heard from it in over 2 months since im living away from home and my landlord is a crappy old woman who complains about everything and doesnt want loud speakers, thus why I purchased my DT770's.

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm a pretty heavy gamer. My setup isn't exactly what you'd call ideal for gaming, but it does just fine. I used to be big into soundstage for gaming, X-fi, EAX, etc... now all I really care is that I can hear the game. I also intend to use my PC for intensive games, I am DYING for UT3 to come out. Been playing since Unreal I.

I just use a logitech desktop USB mic.

UT3 is gonna rock, same with Crysis. I hope you have a REALLY good machine for Crysis. I know I have to upgrade my video card for it...
frown.gif

Feb 27, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #14 of 21
try the X-Fi XtremeMusic for both and if you want better music get a USB DAC later
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back