Game Dev and Home Theater headphones...
Jul 5, 2006 at 12:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

][udson

New Head-Fier
Just joined the forum and this looks like a great place for headphone information. I've read a bunch of threads and have gotten some great info. I still need a little help with my headphone choice.

I'm looking for a set of great headphones for developing video game sound and enjoying home theater late at night. Open and closed doesn't really matter to me...but sound quality and long lasting comfort really are important.

From what I have read my short list would include the 595, 600, and 650 Senns, and the DT880/890. My price limit is really no more than $350, and I found the 650 for this. I left out Grados fearing lack of comfort, but could be convinced of them.

Any I'm missing which you guys think would fit the bill? Or for my purposes, would cheaper headphones than the 650 work well for me?

Thanks!

Jul 5, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ][udson
Just joined the forum and this looks like a great place for headphone information. I've read a bunch of threads and have gotten some great info. I still need a little help with my headphone choice.

I'm looking for a set of great headphones for developing video game sound and enjoying home theater late at night. Open and closed doesn't really matter to me...but sound quality and long lasting comfort really are important.

From what I have read my short list would include the 595, 600, and 650 Senns, and the DT880/890. My price limit is really no more than $350, and I found the 650 for this. I left out Grados fearing lack of comfort, but could be convinced of them.

Any I'm missing which you guys think would fit the bill? Or for my purposes, would cheaper headphones than the 650 work well for me?

Thanks!

I really wouldn't consider the HD650 for mixing purposes, and as a home theatre headphone it left me a little cold because of the holes in the soundstage. You get a lot of left and right and center, but nothing really inbetween. It works for music, but not as well for movies or games.

For those purposes and for mixing game audio, I'd use the DT770-80 or DT250-80. The 880 is a bright audiophile can and while fairly flat lacks impact and bass necessary for movies. The DT770-80 is a lot like a consumer home theatre setup; I'd say it's damned close to the sound of a good mid-fi 5.1 setup and has a very good consistant soundstage. The HD650 may beat it for music, but it's a much better headphone for what you want to do and accentuates the areas you'll probably be interested in. It's also closed, which is usually necessary for studio work and most of the other headphones you listed aren't.

Jul 5, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 19
I thought I had read the 650s had a very nice sound stage. I'm not too concerned about open headphones for the sound dev because I am in a very quiet environment. And if I can hear the wife and kid shout for me that's a good thing
wink.gif

Regarding the DT770/80 I will have to look at these. One thing I don't want is for them to represent bass which isn't there as much as it shows, or anything else for that matter. Do the 650 or one of the other Senns have an even response across the frequency range? Or do I get this as well with the DT770/80?

Jul 5, 2006 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

I thought I had read the 650s had a very nice sound stage. I'm not too concerned about open headphones for the sound dev because I am in a very quiet environment. And if I can hear the wife and kid shout for me that's a good thing
wink.gif

Regarding the DT770/80 I will have to look at these. One thing I don't want is for them to represent bass which isn't there as much as it shows, or anything else for that matter. Do the 650 or one of the other Senns have an even response across the frequency range? Or do I get this as well with the DT770/80?

The DT770 and HD650 both have exaggerated bass frequencies to me. If you want a Sennheiser that has a flatter FR, try the HD600.

Apart from a slightly recessed midrange, I find my DT770 to be one of the flatter and better for mixing headphones that I've owned. I know a few others will vouch for me on the relative flatness of my particular pair. The DT770-80 was made for recording purposes, after all.

If you want a truly flat recording headphone, I think the closest I've heard are the HP1000 (Which is discontinued, and sells used for over $1k here) or the Sennheiser HD280. The HD280 is a miserable listening headphone... flat and dry with no soul. I wouldn't play games with it, I wouldn't watch movies with it, nothing. But, I would use it in a studio.

Jul 5, 2006 at 4:02 PM Post #5 of 19
If your price limit is $350 or less I would not consider Sennheisers as to get the most out of those cans you would need a decent amp to pair with them. This would bring you way out of your $350 range in most cases.

What I would recommend for you is the Audio Technica A900. They are closed, super comfortable and easy to drive out of almost any source. I also work in the game developement field and while I am not in the area of sound I find them perfect for office use as they are closed and eliminate almost all fan/coworker noise. They are also great for gaming and movies.... all for well under your budget of $350. You can find them at audiocubes, which is one of the sponsors here at headfi.

Jul 5, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #6 of 19
Wouldn't a can made for studio and recording purposes (flat sound a la AKG K240DF) be the right can for this?

Jul 5, 2006 at 4:31 PM Post #7 of 19
HI: I use the Sennheiser 555 for late night TV Movie listening. I fine that an open headphone is cooler lest hot than a closed headphone for a few hours or more of listening. I like the 555 better than the 595 that is better for music listening but for voice and movie impact I like the 555.

You really don't need to spend 350.00 to get great TV Movie headphones. The 555 cost 111.00 new on line. Also you don't need an amp for the 555 at 50 ohms. Very easy to drive. I use my stereo receiver headphone jack with great results and also have lots of different sound mods to chose from. I have found that what ever my front speakers are doing my headphone jack does the same thing. So I use an expanded sound mode that is really great for my headphone listening.

I also have found that if its real hot out that the PortaPro are also great and cooler lest hot because of their small size but have great impact for TV Movie listening.

Its not how much money you spend but what headphone is great for TV Movie use.

Jul 5, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #8 of 19
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I jumped the gun before coming back to feedback and bought the 650 off of ebay. I don't know if this vendor sells these other kinds of headphones yet, so I might be looking to sell them. Argh.

@Mercuttio: thx, I wish I had come back to read this first. Do you do mixing yourself? The closed headphone is starting to appeal to me as well. And it sounds like the DT770/80 will do mixing and HT very well.

@Slug: I am running the PC through my home theater's Yamaha RX-V2500 reciever so I'm ok for that. I will have a look at your recommendation. Perhaps it's true I don't need to spend this much money.

@barkas: I was hoping to find something that might fit well for home theater use as well. This is probably going to end up as the main use in the long run.

@LTUCCI1924: thx, I had not considered the 555.

Well I am confused now. I wish I hadn't rushed to buy, but I'm in immediate need after breaking my old set. Keep recommendations coming because I might turn around and sell the 650 unopened.

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

@Mercuttio: thx, I wish I had come back to read this first. Do you do mixing yourself? The closed headphone is starting to appeal to me as well. And it sounds like the DT770/80 will do mixing and HT very well.

As part of my major in college I had to take some classes on the basics, and I've done a few animations both there and in my free time now (I'll be headed back to graduate school this fall). Nothing too exciting as far as mixing is concerned, mostly ambient noises, dialogue, and a music track. I've had different headphones during different projects, and the HD280 was really one of the best. I hated it for music because it was so dead and cold, but it was great for doing that stuff.

Jul 5, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #10 of 19
Mercuttio I agree with all that you've said. When I'm working with audio on the computer the first cans I will go to in my collection is the 770s, they are a little heavy in the bass but if you know what they sound like you'll know how to master with them. Plus they offer a good seal if you're on the field recording.

][udson I see you already nabbed the 650s, but if you keep an eye out you can find the 770s very reasonably priced and they would be a nice can to have for your purposes.

Jul 5, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Great, thanks guys. It's too late for my order, so I'll probably try to sell these on eBay. It sounds like the 770 is what I need. Argh =)

You can always put them up for sale in the FS/FT forum here. Say you'd like to trade them (with cash) for a DT770. The DT770 used should go for around $150, and a HD650 still in the box etc is probably around $270 or so.

Someone can correct me on the prices if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back