Game console advice needed.
May 20, 2002 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

mbriant

Headphoneus Supremus
I've never been a huge video game buff, ( the only one I've ever owned was the original "Pong") but I do enjoy car racing, shooting (quake etc.) and golf on the computer.

Now that the consoles are dropping in price, I think I'd like to try one with my 36" Wega XBR.

What's the consensus here, now that PS2, X-Box and GameCube have been around for a while? Which racing, shooting, hockey, golf games would you recommend?

May 20, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #2 of 42
For racing, look no further than Gran Turismo 3 for the PS2. Absolutely incredible game, after playing it, it seriously renders a lot of other racing games unplayable because things just feel and look so much more real in GT3.

I believe first person shooters are the Xbox's territory, particularly Halo (which some claim is Xbox's only good game...).

My preference leans towards the PS2 because it's definitely the RPG and fighting games machine of the three, and that's what I'm into. And games are coming out for it at a rate that'd bankrupt me faster than Headfi could ever if I tried to keep up with all the games I want.
eek.gif
So currently, if I had to do the old "if you had to choose one and only one..." thing, I'd pick the PS2 myself.

May 20, 2002 at 1:59 PM Post #3 of 42
PS2 - Grand Theft Auto 3, among other cool ass games, this is a no brainer. Hate their controller though.

Gamecube - Zelda!!! The early games were pretty lame, but they're coming out with some good ones, keep an eye out. Best graphics of the bunch.

Xbox - Halo is the bomb, the other games are ****ty, lol. I love its controller. Crappiest graphics.

Being the die hard Sega fan that I am, I still play Dreamcast, and pray that they will jump back into the scene in the future...

May 20, 2002 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 42
I hate the PS2's default controller too. The D-pad is good for normal 2D movement games maybe, but an absolute nightmare for fighting games. I also got pretty long fingers and the PS2 pad just felt uncomfortably small in my hand. Pretty much had to toss the original pad and pick up another one with a smooth one piece D-pad right away.

I absolutely love the D-pad Microsoft uses for all their gamepads. It's the one that let's me win everytime in those Ryu fireball fights.
smily_headphones1.gif
Their pads look rather huge, but I'd probably like 'em with my long fingers.

Zelda...yeah now that's an action-RPG I would love to have ported around.

May 20, 2002 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 42
The X-Box controller is just awful... Its probably the worst controller I've ever seen other than the Atari Jaguar. The Gamecube's controller is very comfortable and functional for me...

Anyway, the PS2 is the most established console out there right now, and is probably your best bet. My second choice would be Gamecube (give it a few months and it'll be my first).

May 20, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #6 of 42
The XBOX is the most advanced console on the market right now. Yes, the PS2 may have more games but most of them (as with all consoles) are crap.
I think one of the most overlooked aspects of the XBOX is it's internal hard drive making the need for memory cards redundant. This is just a huge advantage.
Microsoft has just addressed the issue of it's controller with the new controller-S which is supposedly better for some games. I quite like the original controller but I also have big hands.
Ultimately, when purchasing a console it comes down to what games you want to play today and in the near future.

May 20, 2002 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 42
i got the okay from the boss (aka the wife) to get one of these new game systems. the types of games i like are shooters, like treadmarks, quake and descent. i also really want to try the new resident evil (does the gameplay really look like what is in the commercial??). i also like race games, and once in a while a good rpg. but mainly i like to blow **** up without plot getting in the way
biggrin.gif
. any suggestions?

p.s., i have a non-pscan wega tv with extra s-video inputs. the picture quality of computer graphics is amazing with this set; which system has the best graphics?

May 20, 2002 at 7:09 PM Post #8 of 42
The best graphics I've seen on a console are Resident Evil for the gamecube and Jack and Daxter on the PS2. I haven't really seen anything on the XBox that impressed me graphically other than Dead or Alive 3 (I think its 3)... But they're all capable of amazing things, with either the Gamecube or the XBox having the most graphical potential. Only time will tell which developers choose to get the most out of. One thing's for sure though, Nintendo has some internal people that will push the Gamecube's limits, not sure if anyone at Microsoft can say that.

May 20, 2002 at 7:22 PM Post #9 of 42
I wouldn't waste my money on the Xbox -- Halo is the only good game available now, and you don't really hear of a lot of new stuff coming down the pipe. Microsoft doesn't seem to be too committed to competing with Nintendo or Sony: they just built a "great spec" box without realizing that you need lots of great games for people to buy it.

For racing, scrollers, and other traditional console types of games, I'd go with the PS or GameCube. The PS has more games, but a lot of people I know prefer the quality of GC games (racing games excepted
wink.gif
). I've also heard that Nintendo is really making a push for more games.

If you play first-person shooters, don't bother with a console; a PC is still the way to go. Doesn't matter how "great" the graphics are on a console; to be competitive you really need the flexibility that a keyboard provides, and half the fun of FPS is that you can use mods/mutators/addons to extend and change the game. Plus the online play sucks with consoles.

May 20, 2002 at 7:54 PM Post #10 of 42
thanks flumpus and macdef...
although i already have a decent game computer i think i'm gravitating towards the gamecube. from past experience i know nintendo is capable of making some amazing games. plus if the gamecube has s-video, surround, component connections, etc., it would be a good match for the home theater.

May 20, 2002 at 8:24 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by MacDEF
I wouldn't waste my money on the Xbox -- Halo is the only good game available now, and you don't really hear of a lot of new stuff coming down the pipe. Microsoft doesn't seem to be too committed to competing with Nintendo or Sony: they just built a "great spec" box without realizing that you need lots of great games for people to buy it.

No games coming...then why is the PC community so pissed off about future games being "stolen" from the PC and being released on the XBox first. I know Unreal Championship stirred up several people about it coming to the XBox first, I think Malice is another one. It seems game developers would prefer the XBox because of architecture being similar to the PC it would make porting it easier.

I think the Gamecube just needs to stay where its at, in the McDonald's kids area. The PS2 is pretty good, its just starting to age a bit.

Also, like the gamecube the xbox does have s-video, component, and digital connections for 5.1 Dolby Digital. I think for home theater its capable of 480p resolution.

And being able to store 2GBs of mp3s/wmas files is pretty nice.

May 20, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 42
The only reason I'll ever get an XBox is if Sega starts making exclusive games for it that I gotta have... I can't see any other company persuading me to get an XBox.

As far as the Gamecube being just for kids, have you played Resident Evil? And are you saying that adults won't enjoy Zelda? Starcraft? Mario Sunshine looks great, other than the title
smily_headphones1.gif
The Gamecube has the highest potential of all the consoles IMO.

I also love my PS2... Anyone played Arc the Lad Collection yet? I know its a regula PSX game, but its supposed to be amazing.

Anyway, I think anyone lookin' for the typical console experience is probably going to be disappointed by the XBox. And as far as what Macdef said about Microsoft not really being devoted to competing with Sony and Sega, I agree.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if this is Microsofts only console. If nothing else, its probably just not as profitable as they had hoped. Besides, once Sega gets back in the hardware market (next generation, possibly the one after that...they have said they plan to get back in though), the competition will make it very tought for four companies to survive, and I bet Microsoft will get left out. The one thing that Sega proved by getting out of hardware and into software only, is that they can make some great games. If they can get some decent hardware out there again, and market it right, they'll get the third party developers back, and be able to compete again. I'm just rambling now... get whatever has the games you want to play the most, but don't forget to check into some games that have been announced for future release.

May 20, 2002 at 9:22 PM Post #13 of 42
Quote:

Satori said...

I think the Gamecube just needs to stay where its at, in the McDonald's kids area.

rolleyes.gif

Waverace. Resident Evil. 007. Eternal Darkness. Rogue Squadron. Are you seriously trying to tell me these games, and many more, can only be appreciated by little kids? Riiight... Nintendo may make more games for kids than the other consoles, but it certainly does not make the GameCube a kiddie console. I find the average GameCube game far more interesting than most generic PC stuff coming out for the X-Box.

As for the X-Box, I'm more than willing to wait a few more months to get the PC version of a game I actually want, which have been few & far-between in the PC world lately. Especially a game like Unreal, where like MacDEF said, the need for a mouse & keyboard is crucial. Speaking from experience, console controllers just were not meant for first-person shooters.

May 20, 2002 at 10:37 PM Post #14 of 42
Hehe, guess I stirred up the gamecube folks around here a little bit.
biggrin.gif

A couple of reasons I choose the XBox over the gamecube:
-I saw these numbers in comparing the different systems, 125 million polys per second for the XBox, 72 million for the PS2, and 15 million for Gamecube. Although, I know the Gamecube is using a more advanced rending technique i like the pure power of the XBox. And of course we have to wait for developers to use all that power.
-Small controller with the gamecube.
-Store mp3s on it, I really like this feature.
-Online gameplay.
-***HALO***, the game is amazing. The graphics are almost as good as a PC game with a GF4 and XP2000.

But those are just my reasons. I know people that Zelda alone was the reason they got the gamecube. Everyone has different priorities and thats what makes these discussions fun.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 20, 2002 at 11:22 PM Post #15 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Satori

-I saw these numbers in comparing the different systems, 125 million polys per second for the XBox, 72 million for the PS2, and 15 million for Gamecube. Although, I know the Gamecube is using a more advanced rending technique i like the pure power of the XBox. And of course we have to wait for developers to use all that power.

And it will go into a......640X480 tv screen?

I have played all the systems. I have also seen all of them hooked up to a large (52") HDTV using the digital connections. But I also have had more fun than I did with all the new consoles playing mario cart on N64.

Its all about the gameplay, and xbox just doesn't have it. PS2 has tons of it, but I find that the PS2 reminds me a lot of computer gaming. if you want console gaming fun, I'd go gamecube, or better yet buy a dreamcast for $50 and spend the rest of your money on games.

oh, and btw the gamecube has ports for expansions such as a modem or a NIC, it just doesn't have any games that need them yet.

On a side note, the current direction technology is taking is pissing me off. It isn't one of efficency, it is one of brute force.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back