Galaxy S4 and audio crackling issue with UE600
May 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #46 of 64
90% solved - I manage to reduce the hiss by turning off Direct Sound in the apps. Its much better now and sound quality improves a lot, its turn on by default

New user to the S4 here, so I have no idea what you are referring to. (Isn't DirectSound a Windows thing?) Would you care to elaborate? or perhaps a screen shot or two?

May 16, 2013 at 1:49 AM Post #47 of 64
In the power amps apps, go to setting, audio, advance tweak, uncheck direct volume control. The hiss reduce and sq improves. More rich and natural to my ears.i am using att us version and have heard that it is recommended to turn off if sound quality degrades. Not so sure for international version or other custom roms.

Load up a few classical with long quiet passage and its a day and night differences... 24 hrs ago I was still pulling my hair over the hissing sound. Now I stick back those hair..it's ok now :)

May 16, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #48 of 64
Quote:
In the power amps apps, go to setting, audio, advance tweak, uncheck direct volume control. The hiss reduce and sq improves. More rich and natural to my ears.i am using att us version and have heard that it is recommended to turn off if sound quality degrades. Not so sure for international version or other custom roms.

Load up a few classical with long quiet passage and its a day and night differences... 24 hrs ago I was still pulling my hair over the hissing sound. Now I stick back those hair..it's ok now :)

I suspect that it just because you are reducing the volume output? Turning off Direct Volume Control in PowerAMP gave ~5dB decrease in volume compared to leaving it on (and a ~10dB decrease in maximum volume compared to the stock Samsung player). If you can do that and still have serviceable listening levels then all good.

May 16, 2013 at 7:00 AM Post #50 of 64
Quote:
@NZtechfreak

How do you find the 9500 version headphone out? Aside from being free from fuzzies i mean.

Heh, I've not yet confirmed mine is free of fuzzies! Still awaiting some low impedance IEMs (UE600) to test that out. Others seem to have found no problem, although nobody I have any particular trust in has confirmed it, so I'm waiting to hear with my own ears.

I've not listened to it a great deal via headphone out yet, planning for some blind audio testing this weekend and then I'll be able to say some more.

May 16, 2013 at 2:49 PM Post #51 of 64
Quote:

I suspect that it just because you are reducing the volume output? Turning off Direct Volume Control in PowerAMP gave ~5dB decrease in volume compared to leaving it on (and a ~10dB decrease in maximum volume compared to the stock Samsung player). If you can do that and still have serviceable listening levels then all good.

It sound pretty bad with DVC turn on. I also switch to player pro and sound very good, no hissing right from the start and volume is plenty considering I use only IEM on GS4. Player pro UI is beautiful and after adding artist and genre album art, its much more easy to use than power amp. The only con is it cant't play ALAC format, I have to re-convert them to AAC 320kbps... I can't hear any loss so far. I am very happy now.

May 19, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #52 of 64
Experienxed the hiss at first as well, with samsung's own music player. The hiss was most apparent whenta song ends/starts. I played around with the settings and found out that turning off the "adapt sound" eliminates it on my UE700

May 19, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #53 of 64
Got some UE600 today. My god, the crackling is unspeakably awful on the i9505 with those, much worse even than the sets I tested before. My i9500 does not crackle on the same tracks.

Next up: blind ABx between the two models with the UE900 which do not crackle on either for me.

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #54 of 64
Hey I have the same issue too... Even at lower volumes, my sony headphones crackle with the samsung S4. I even flattened the equalizer but no use. After doing some research, I noticed that samsung stock ear plugs have 3 rings and my sony ear plugs have 2 rings - at the jack.. I am guessing that could be the issue. 

I found a splitter in amazon that has 3 rings and just ordered one. Will let u guys know how that works in a week or so... 

http://www.amazon.com/ELONGPRO-Black-Headphone-Adapter-iPhone/dp/B0099ENZSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370577669&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5mm+Headphone+Earphone+Adapter

Jun 7, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #55 of 64
Seems this is software-related as affected users who have upgraded to the latest german firmware report it is fixed guys, so I would flash that before ordering impedance adapters etc guys.

Jun 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM Post #57 of 64
i can confirm that the issue of the sgs4(i9505) has been solved by the ..BMEA firmware update on the s4. I used to hear that crackling sound with my senn cx400(16ohms) on full volume. upon updating, no more crackling sound:)

Jun 14, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #58 of 64
I too just did the OTA update to the latest firmware and my XBA-2 and XBA-3 IEMS (8 ohms) are now working perfectly!
I was ready to switch to the Sony Xperia Z this Saturday as well!

Sep 23, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #59 of 64
Just as an FYI --- if any of you are having problems and still laboring without a patch (T-Mobile ---- I'm looking at you). I rooted mine this weekend, and installed a custom Android 4.3 ROM (based on beanstalk). Not only did it totally fix this issue, but added some very nice DSP / Audio controlls (EQ, convolver, virtual surround, etc that can be enabled and disabled)

I'd recommend it if you are using low impedance IEMs and the distortion issue is driving you nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back