Galaxy S4 and audio crackling issue with UE600
May 7, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #16 of 64
Quote:

What earphones are you using? I think it's related to the low impedance and insufficient current thing.

I can't believe in this day and age it's possible for a phone, much less a high-end one, to experience this problem. Or maybe I've just been spoilt by my iPhone (which is quite the irony since iOS devices/iPods have never been known for the SQ)

Strange thing is that certain demo units do not have this issue, and certain sets experience this problem only to a very tiny extent. Batch fault?

I am using AKG3003i. I tested it again and it still hiss.

May 8, 2013 at 2:48 AM Post #17 of 64
I've also got the galaxy s1, s2, and s3 around the house. I'll do some additional checking, and see if they exhibit the same problem and to what degree. The JH16s were new in Feb, so I didn't use them a ton with those previous phones. My methodology is pretty simple:

--plug in JH16s
--load up "Sail" by AWOLNATION
--proceed until the "wub wub" starts distorting / clipping due to insufficient current :)

I'll report back on findings.

May 8, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #18 of 64
I got the same issue with my s4, i went to shop and tested another s4 and the same issue.

I got snapdragon version and i am using Sony xba3 headphones.

Any idea guys? Would samsung take this crap back if this is the case of hardware fault?

I tieed other brand headphones and none hadnissue hut headphones are just basic.

May 10, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #21 of 64
Missed this thread earlier - my experience:

Did a blind and volume-matched test with the One and S4 (i9505 international version with the same DAC as the one). Listened on 12 and 16ohm IEMs and 32ohm cans. 

First interesting thing was that the Samsung stock player is noticeably louder than PowerAMP (not yet tested other third party players). Around 10dB louder if PowerAMP has direct volume control off and ~5dB louder if PowerAMP is using direct volume control. Since we wanted to use the same player in both devices we had to drop the HTC One volume down three notches for them to match closely (only one step to match with the S4 stock player).

Turned off Beats on the One.

Noted with interest that when blinding was removed and we could see which phone we favoured in our notes we both preferred the S4 sound over the One overall, better instrument separation and clarity, less fatiguing and harsh. Generally preferred the bass on the One, although the One was quite boomy. There was one MAJOR problem with the S4 though - crackling with prominent low bass frequencies. This was absent on the T5p at 32ohm, noticeable on the 16ohm IEMs, and very noticeable on the 12ohm IEMs. I ripped the 12ohm ones from my ears after about 5s, the crackling made them unbearable. If this is output impedance related as it appears to be this would put the S4 (i9505) output impedance somewhere in the 4-8ohm range, making it impossible to recommend to anyone using more sensitive IEMs.

EDIT: I see current could be an issue too.

May 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 64
Hi friends, a kind forum member from Android Central has done his own RMAA tests. His post is here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/270111-gsmarena-updated-its-audio-quality-tests-2.html#post2772816 and his RMAA analysis is here: http://www.jensign.com/S4Distortion/

Just a summary of his observations:

- Clipping was observed for under 14-ohm loads
- For a sine wave, the problem only shows up when volume is specifically set to 11/15.

What this probably means is that when you set your headphones to a high enough volume level (even above 15), if you play your normal audio track there will invariably be parts where the volume is slightly quieter than others, and I suspect some parts of the rack will reach this 'magical amplitude' resulting in the distortion you here. I have noted earlier with a 150Hz sine wave that using the normal player I don't get distortion at 15/15 except for a noise at the start of the track, but when I use PowerAMP I get full-blown noise throughout the test tone itself. Now I realise that because PowerAMP's 'direct audio output' feature is probably slightly softer than the stock player, the volume may be dipping to that magical amplitude.

May 11, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #23 of 64
One can't help wondering how this blatant design fault can happen on a premium device that will sell in the millions.

Needless to say i've written off the S4 after skimming through that test report.

Optimism is the depth of technical ignorance

May 11, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #24 of 64
I heard crackling at 16ohms also. I heard them regardless of player and at maximum volume (as noted above the volume difference between stock and PowerAMP was oberved, so tested in the stock player too), but I guess that may be due to listening to music rather than pure test tones.

Thanks for the link.

May 11, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #25 of 64
Quote:
One can't help wondering how this blatant design fault can happen on a premium device that will sell in the millions.

Needless to say i've written off the S4 after skimming through that test report.

Optimism is the depth of technical ignorance

Don't forget that the S2 had a 43ohm output impedance. The design fail is strong with Samsung

May 11, 2013 at 7:59 AM Post #26 of 64
Quote:

Don't forget that the S2 had a 43ohm output impedance. The design fail is strong with Samsung

I think the Note 2 got our hopes up with its audio and impedance of 0.90 :/

May 11, 2013 at 9:33 AM Post #27 of 64
Quote:

I was wondering if the S2 had a similar issue as well?

BTW I got my phone back from the service centre, they swapped out the mobo and the LCD screen (think they probably damaged it while replacing the mobo), and the crackling is less noticeable now but still there with my UE600.

By the way, to GS4 owners, could you guys conduct this very simple experiment on your own?

1. Go to http://www.ronelmm.com/tones/
2. Download the 150Hz test tone and place it in your phone
3. Play the test tone on your music player, at varying volumes.
4. Record the exact volume level where the signal noticeably changes into a crackling noise instead of a hum.

I only have one low impedance IEM with me, so I am unsure how the affected volume level changes with impedance.

Basically, there are two things I want to find out:

1. Does the exact amplitude whereby the crackling sets in depend on impedance?
2. Does the threshold level varies from phone to phone with the IEM used being constant?

My result is as follows:

UE600 (~13ohm): Crackles at volume 13/15. No issue at other levels.

Please record your IEM brand and model and the volume where it crackles.

Thank you!

May 12, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #28 of 64
Just a note to add a few comments on my audio measurements at http://www.jensign.com/S4Distortion/. The measurements were performed on a SGH-I337 (American/Canadian) with Qualcomm Snapdragon and (I gather) the Qualcomm DAC for audio (not Wolson). My results support the GMSArena measurements (on a 9500 or 9505 not sure) superb audio with higher impedance headphones (32 ohm or higher). The article discusses and quantifies the "fuzzies" (or audible "buzz") issue which many users have reported using low impedance earphones (which does not occur in the S3 I tested).  My results show that with "open load" (the condition you have if using an external headphone driver) the audio performance is really superb.

May 13, 2013 at 6:42 AM Post #30 of 64
Quote:
Just a note to add a few comments on my audio measurements at http://www.jensign.com/S4Distortion/. The measurements were performed on a SGH-I337 (American/Canadian) with Qualcomm Snapdragon and (I gather) the Qualcomm DAC for audio (not Wolson). My results support the GMSArena measurements (on a 9500 or 9505 not sure) superb audio with higher impedance headphones (32 ohm or higher). The article discusses and quantifies the "fuzzies" (or audible "buzz") issue which many users have reported using low impedance earphones (which does not occur in the S3 I tested).  My results show that with "open load" (the condition you have if using an external headphone driver) the audio performance is really superb.

What i gather from your in-depth measurements is that the device sounds great except at a certain volume setting where clipping occurs driving low loads. But just changing the volume step the clipping disappears?

This is weird. But sure is not software fixable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back