Galaxy S2?
Jul 23, 2011 at 8:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

seaskimmer

100+ Head-Fier
So... my iPhone contract is finally over and I am wanting to get a new phone. I heard that the new Samsung Galaxy S2 was the new 'superphone' out in the market and it is better than the Motorola Atrix.
Have any of you guys tried out this phone yet?
How nice is it to use?
How's the audio quality? (not priority though since I have a iPod>LOD>...)

OR... would you guys just recommend sticking with my iPhone for a few more months and getting the Google Nexus X, which is presumably supposed to be like 1000000000x better than any phone previously produced.

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #2 of 14
Hold on for a few months. I don't know about the new Nexus, but iPhone 5 is coming in September. Maybe you'd like it, maybe not.

However, it will shift the market. Other phones will get cheaper and lots of other things will change. I'd also expect a big marketing push from everyone going into the holidays.

So stick it out and see what happens. The deals will get better the closer it gets to the end of the year.

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #3 of 14
As of yet there's been no official announcement for a new iphone. It's likely to be this year though, if just to keep up with the latest android phones. Could be a minor spec bump or a whole new phone.. no one knows. Personally I'm waiting to see what the Nexus Prime (alleged name) will have. I don't listen to music from a phone as none of them have an amp worth listening to.. and the days of carrying a round a separate amp are long gone for me, the benefit / awkwardness ratio was terrible. 

I think a lot of people will be selecting their phone based on the available contract terms  now, and with sprint being the only carrier with unlimited data (unless you got grandfathered in..) I'll probably be looking at sprint unless I can convince the old man to keep me on his family plan.

Jul 23, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #4 of 14
Personally, I am trying to steer away from iPhones; I'm just starting to not really like them. I tried iOS 5 beta and I find android much better IMO.
Waiting till Christmas would be an option to get lower pricing, but it isn't too much of a concern at the moment since I have upgrade credits.
The nexus x/prime is "rumored" to come out around thanksgiving... Which is like 4 months away... I'm not too sure if my iPhone 3 can last me until then since the battery is crapping out.

As a side note: that thing you talk of... "unlimited data" is a myth in Canada. Maybe like 5 years before we get it?

Jul 24, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 14
Yeah the GSII looks like an awesome phone. I find the screen especially appealing, given how i have an AMOLED screen on my Cowon J3. It really does make a world of a difference. It's been at the top of the Android device hierarchy, but still hasn't been released in the US. If you're getting an Android, I would get that, but it also wouldn't be a bad idea to wait 1-2 months to see what Apple has in store with the iPhone 5.

Jul 24, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #6 of 14
I'll be picking it up as soon as it launches. 6 million sold worldwide and I still can't get one on contract.

This country can be so backwards when it comes to technology. *sigh*

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #7 of 14
=P are you talking about the US?
I'm probably going to grab one asap as well, it does look freakin awesome.  The only thing that makes me want to wait is the Tegra 3 cpu's which look so beast, but I don't think phones will have them for another half year at least.
From what I've read the new GSII has a Yamaha DAC which supposedly isn't as nice as the Wolfson DAC in the original Galaxy.  That's too bad, although I don't really plan on using the phone as a music player.
Btw, where did you hear about the Nexus X?  Somehow that hasn't come up on my radar yet

Jul 25, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #8 of 14
I probably am going down to my local Bell store to pick up a S2 sometime this week. I'm not really interested in waiting for the iPhone 5; I have tried iOS5 on my friends iPhone 4 and I must say there has been little innovation by Apple ever since iOS 3 came out. To reach the full potential of Apple devices, you must jailbreak but Apple releases new FW like every 2 months so continuously re-jailbreaking is a pain in the butt.

The Nexus X/Prime isn't really confirmed to exist yet, its kinda like the iPhone 5. Everyone knows its out there but there has been nothing released or even leaked about them yet. see http://lmgtfy.com/?q=nexus+prime

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #9 of 14
I went from a 3gs to the S2 and to be honest I'm missing the 3gs a little. apps for the iphone is so polished and well made, most android apps are just awful in comparison. in both looks and user friendliness. I will probably be pawning mine off for the iphone 5 when that comes out.

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 14
Wanna pawn your s2 right now? :p

I agree though, some android apps are less refined than iOS but it's just a matter of time before they catch up since iOS was there first. Many devs are developing iOS and android now and the quality is on par with most "mainstream" apps

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:16 PM Post #14 of 14
So I did some research...

The current S2 uses the Yamaha DAC chip which is almost inferior to the Wolfson DAC found in the S1 in almost every manner.
HOWEVER
The 'newer' S2 which is to be released later this year featuring NFC is *rumored* to feature a Wolfson DAC.

I guess I will be waiting for a while :p If the release ends up being somewhere around late August/early September, I might have to compare it with the iphone 5 since Apple is pretty good at pioneering new technology with every release. Hopefully they don't end up changing the proprietary pin arrangement every time though....

Time to whip out my old school Motorola RZR and put my iphone 3g back into the box :D

Sources:
http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/media_centre/item/first_quarter_results_to_3_april_2011/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back