Galaxy S with Voodoo sound or iPhone 4?
Nov 17, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 13
This is discussed at length, but I think it comes down to preference. iPhone is probably better, but I think that Voodoo sounds great except for a some bass roll off.
Output impedance is better on iPhone.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Nov 17, 2012 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 13
I've had my SGS Vibrant (T-Mobile version) and have been running CyanogenMod on it since 7 (now on CM10 Nightlies) with Voodoo Sound. I've heard the iPhone 4s also. Both with my Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A. I'm sorry to disagree with headfinoob, but while I enjoyed the audition of the iPhone 4s, I'd have to handily give the reccomendation to the Galaxy S (Gen 1 with the Wolfson DAC/Audio Bridge/CODEC/Class W -whatever its called Chip.)

My experience with the iPhone 4 was drastically superior to my tortured ownership of the iPhone 3, the iPhone 4s is by far the better sounding unit. For some reason I have never really taken to iDevices (having had a stand-in-line-like-a-lemming purchase day affair with my iPhone 3 which I ended up selling because of the hate hate affair with the shrill treble (not a defective unit, just saying)). That said, I don't damn them either. They have their plusses (LOD mainly). I was really impressed at how much actual bass the iPhone 4s managed to pump into my ESW9A's...

...however my experience has been much longer with the Galaxy S (1st Gen) with the Class W Wolfson DAC and supercurio's Voodoo Sound. Additionally, the music sounds more "correct" on the SGS. It sounds more organic. Voodoo Sound also gets you the configurability and high quality 128x oversampling (aka Hi-fi play which gives you 128x Oversampling) via direct DAC access. Anti-jitter option accesses the ReTune (from Wolfson) Anti-Jitter features which are baked into the chip for added sound clarity due to better audio clock source management.  DAC Direct bypasses the Android analog Channel Mixer of the device, delivering superior SNR (aka Signal to Noise Ratio) with low distortion for a portable device. Finally, the Bass Boost feature (which you can tailor to pump the sub-bass frequencies (aka Sub-bass), lower bass (aka Standard), midbass (aka Medium), or bass & mids (aka Small speakers; which works well with those times you actually want to just use the phone without headphones and NO accessory speakers, (can't do that with an iPhone as far as I know and have it sound remotely "natural")... Works well. Very very well. Not just with my ESW9's but with everything I've listened with (except for some DIY SFI Ortho cans which just can't be pushed by such a "puny" source. Though its far from puny. Never tested output directly to the iPhone 4 so I can't comment.

All I can tell you is that I'm satisfied with it, I like it better than any of the COWON devices I owned in the past, any iDevices, Sansas, I sometimes like it a bit better than my Teclast s:flo2 to boot. Usually I prefer my iRiver H140 due to it's large HDD & SPDIF Optical Out which I'm feeding into an E17 DAC/Amp combo unit for improved SQ.

I know I'm prattling on a tad, but I just wanted to be slightly comprehensive about something I'm familiar with, and thought it might help point out some of the differences.

Again, if you're going to use the SGS or iPhone 4(s) standalone, my vote goes for the SGS, if you're going to bypass the iPhone's internal doodads with an amp or triple stacked (trans)Portable setup, than the configurability of true line out gives a bit more ground to the iPhone 4(s).

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
That is one well explained experience. I like it. 

Thanks! I sometimes have a tendency to be less concise than possible. 

To be more concise:

The Galaxy S (Gen 1) sounds: Precise. Realistic. Organic. (Have liked it with Everything)

The iPhone 4(s) sounds: Standard Consumer Electronics Fare. Overprocessed. Sound Sig ~= "Hyped". (but I liked it for R&B, Rap, and Electronic)

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #6 of 13
I've had my SGS Vibrant (T-Mobile version) and have been running CyanogenMod on it since 7 (now on CM10 Nightlies) with Voodoo Sound. I've heard the iPhone 4s also. Both with my Audio Technica ATH-ESW9A. I'm sorry to disagree with headfinoob, but while I enjoyed the audition of the iPhone 4s, I'd have to handily give the reccomendation to the Galaxy S (Gen 1 with the Wolfson DAC/Audio Bridge/CODEC/Class W -whatever its called Chip.)

My experience with the iPhone 4 was drastically superior to my tortured ownership of the iPhone 3, the iPhone 4s is by far the better sounding unit. For some reason I have never really taken to iDevices (having had a stand-in-line-like-a-lemming purchase day affair with my iPhone 3 which I ended up selling because of the hate hate affair with the shrill treble (not a defective unit, just saying)). That said, I don't damn them either. They have their plusses (LOD mainly). I was really impressed at how much actual bass the iPhone 4s managed to pump into my ESW9A's...

...however my experience has been much longer with the Galaxy S (1st Gen) with the Class W Wolfson DAC and supercurio's Voodoo Sound. Additionally, the music sounds more "correct" on the SGS. It sounds more organic. Voodoo Sound also gets you the configurability and high quality 128x oversampling (aka Hi-fi play which gives you 128x Oversampling) via direct DAC access. Anti-jitter option accesses the ReTune (from Wolfson) Anti-Jitter features which are baked into the chip for added sound clarity due to better audio clock source management.  DAC Direct bypasses the Android analog Channel Mixer of the device, delivering superior SNR (aka Signal to Noise Ratio) with low distortion for a portable device. Finally, the Bass Boost feature (which you can tailor to pump the sub-bass frequencies (aka Sub-bass), lower bass (aka Standard), midbass (aka Medium), or bass & mids (aka Small speakers; which works well with those times you actually want to just use the phone without headphones and NO accessory speakers, (can't do that with an iPhone as far as I know and have it sound remotely "natural")... Works well. Very very well. Not just with my ESW9's but with everything I've listened with (except for some DIY SFI Ortho cans which just can't be pushed by such a "puny" source. Though its far from puny. Never tested output directly to the iPhone 4 so I can't comment.

All I can tell you is that I'm satisfied with it, I like it better than any of the COWON devices I owned in the past, any iDevices, Sansas, I sometimes like it a bit better than my Teclast s:flo2 to boot. Usually I prefer my iRiver H140 due to it's large HDD & SPDIF Optical Out which I'm feeding into an E17 DAC/Amp combo unit for improved SQ.

I know I'm prattling on a tad, but I just wanted to be slightly comprehensive about something I'm familiar with, and thought it might help point out some of the differences.

Again, if you're going to use the SGS or iPhone 4(s) standalone, my vote goes for the SGS, if you're going to bypass the iPhone's internal doodads with an amp or triple stacked (trans)Portable setup, than the configurability of true line out gives a bit more ground to the iPhone 4(s).

Funny enough after all the oversampling and antijitter hoopla the signal off the Galaxy S has far more harmonic distortion, intermodulation distortion and crosstalk than the one coming from an iPhone 4/4S. Not to mention output impedance and noise floor.

Clever marketing plagued with sci-fi jargon does wonders i guess. Or at least it triggers the placebo effect.

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

Nov 17, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 13
Just when the Galaxy S amp opens up i know i prefer the iPhone cause Android hiss creeps in while iPhone background is always pitch black. At least with my UM3x. Spatially i find the S congested on busy spots where iPhone sounds always more open.

You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:46 AM Post #10 of 13
My Galaxy S couldn't start anymore, so I have been using the iPhone 4. I did get a Samsung Continuum as well and put voodoo sound on it. I enjoy it more, it sounds much punchier, but there is something wrong with the volume buttons, even with voodoo (control) off. Hardware flaw, I'll have to get back to my Galaxy to try again.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #12 of 13
Someone over at XDA has made a 5 band EQ that utilises the Wolfson Hardware DAC on the Samsung Galaxy S. It also features stereo widening which is sublime. I have installed it and it is absolutely awesome. Unfortunately it doesn't utilise the Wolfson's parametric EQ as of yet.

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #13 of 13
  Someone over at XDA has made a 5 band EQ that utilises the Wolfson Hardware DAC on the Samsung Galaxy S. It also features stereo widening which is sublime. I have installed it and it is absolutely awesome. Unfortunately it doesn't utilise the Wolfson's parametric EQ as of yet.

Link pls?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back