Galaxy S awful with q-jays
Oct 8, 2012 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

yumigator

100+ Head-Fier
I have a Galaxy S phone (a Fascinate to be exact) running a voodoo kernel. The sound is fantastic with my audio-technica m50's, couldn't ask for more from a phone.

However, my q-jays sound horrible plugged into this phone. The midrange becomes overblown and congested and the whole soundstage just collapses. Out of my iPod touch and my laptop, the q-jays sound fine, so I'm trying to figure out what might be going wrong.

My only guess is the impedance curve of the q-jays has quite a significant bump right around where I'm hearing a problem --

On the other hand, the M50's impedance is perfectly flat throughout. Maybe the Galaxy S series is more sensitive to this.

Am on on the right track? If that's the case I don't think there's much I could do short of a portable amp... has anyone else had similar issues with a pair of headphones on the Galaxy S? Also, what IEMs have worked well with these phones, in your experience? Thanks!

Nov 14, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 3
Quote:
It's got a high output impedance so that may be the case but the impedance bumps should be louder and not quieter since the won't  lose as much amplitude from the higher output impedance. Perhaps the roll off at above those bumps and some loss of bass is causing this.

Sorry I missed this post, thanks for the reply!

Still have no idea what is causing this and don't think there will be any solution other than an amp... if anyone has figured it out please let me know

Users who are viewing this thread

Back