GAH!!!!
Oct 14, 2007 at 4:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Audio-Fi

100+ Head-Fier
I just stepped on my Grado RS-1 and chipped off that beautiful wood. It still sounds the same but is there any way to fix this?

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 12
nope... send em back.
frown.gif

**edit**
on second thought... what part chipped off? pics?

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 12
People who are not careful enough to avoid stepping on their headphones (or leaving them on the floor in the first place) should not own expensive equipment. I always laugh everytime I read something like this.

Call me coldhearted, but it's true... unless your kid accidentally knocked it over or something, but even in that case, you shouldn't leave expensive headphones within a child's reach.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #4 of 12
Shiiiiiiit, that sucks - hope you're able to fix it up fine. But hey, sound is all that really matters. Strange circumstances though.

Oct 14, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
People who are not careful enough to avoid stepping on their headphones (or leaving them on the floor in the first place) should not own expensive equipment. I always laugh everytime I read something like this.

Call me coldhearted, but it's true... unless your kid accidentally knocked it over or something, but even in that case, you shouldn't leave expensive headphones within a child's reach.

Have some compassion. Maybe you'll make a mistake one day.

Pics would help. I'm thinking good ole Elmer's wood glue would do the trick, then refinish them. Might be a fair bit of work, but I guess it depends on how bad they are and how much it bothers you. Sorry to hear about this.

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 12
I didn't mean it. I was using my Sony MDR-7509HD and I am at the studio recording with that girl from Disney. I was busy at the mixer trying to get a right balance for the microphone and it was dark and I accidentally stepped on it. Now the question is how the headphones got there? I was listening to it prior to the artists arrival so when she got there I immediately set it down. The headphones was chipped on the right channel and the chip is at the edge about a size of a very small paper clip. I am not really that disappointed because it is not my favorite headphones and I use it occasionally. So I want to know what is the best sticky stuff that will bond the chipped piece together. It's basically just one piece that is chipped off and its perfectly flushed from the chip with a hairline gap.

Edit:
Can warranty save me from it? I lost the packaging and I purchased it a little under a year ago.

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Audio-Fi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(((snip)))

Still sounds like Elmer's wood glue to me.

Quote:

Edit:
Can warranty save me from it? I lost the packaging and I purchased it a little under a year ago.

I don't think so for several reasons:

1. without the receipt and packaging, especially the receipt, you will not be able to prove your date of purchase and that you bought it from an authorized reseller,

2. no doubt the warrenty would exclude any damage caused by an 'operator error' such as this, (i.e., the product wasn't delivered to you in this condition and the damage was not caused by 'normal' use like taking them on and off of your head or storing them in a safe place).

3. as unfortunate as it is, in all honesty, you can't blame Grado for this.

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:42 AM Post #8 of 12
I'll try Elmer's glue. After that if it's still a pet peeve, it goes to eBay.

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

I didn't mean it. I was using my Sony MDR-7509HD and I am at the studio recording with that girl from Disney. I was busy at the mixer trying to get a right balance for the microphone and it was dark and I accidentally stepped on it. Now the question is how the headphones got there? I was listening to it prior to the artists arrival so when she got there I immediately set it down. The headphones was chipped on the right channel and the chip is at the edge about a size of a very small paper clip. I am not really that disappointed because it is not my favorite headphones and I use it occasionally. So I want to know what is the best sticky stuff that will bond the chipped piece together. It's basically just one piece that is chipped off and its perfectly flushed from the chip with a hairline gap.

Edit:

post pics!! Theres absolutely no way anyone can give you adequate advice without at least seeing it.

I think you are bum out of luck, without a sales receipt. I think you should still Give Grado a call though, see what they have to say. No harm ever comes from asking.

Good Luck
rs1smile.gif

Oct 14, 2007 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
post pics!! Theres absolutely no way anyone can give you adequate advice without at least seeing it.

I think you are bum out of luck, without a sales receipt. I think you should still Give Grado a call though, see what they have to say. No harm ever comes from asking.

Good Luck
rs1smile.gif

I'll try if I can take a snapshot of it while I'm at work. But if I can't I'll pull a doodle. BTW, kramer5150, how long have you had yours and what does it sound like after burn-in period? I haven't had time to put atleast a good 4 days on it.

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

I'll try if I can take a snapshot of it while I'm at work. But if I can't I'll pull a doodle. BTW, kramer5150, how long have you had yours and what does it sound like after burn-in period? I haven't had time to put atleast a good 4 days on it.

~3 years, IMHO they are smoother overall post burn-in. The mids have some funky "lingering" resonant coloration(s) when they are new. Even my used pair still exhibit this, and it tends to add sonic flair and color as notes decay back into the mix. But... IMHO its a very different beast new versus well used.

IMHO post-burn in bass is less one-note variety too. Seems to extend deeper and has less of a "dance-club" thumpy effect.

Good Luck with fixing yours!!

Oct 14, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
~3 years, IMHO they are smoother overall post burn-in. The mids have some funky "lingering" resonant coloration(s) when they are new. Even my used pair still exhibit this, and it tends to add sonic flair and color as notes decay back into the mix. But... IMHO its a very different beast new versus well used.

IMHO post-burn in bass is less one-note variety too. Seems to extend deeper and has less of a "dance-club" thumpy effect.

Good Luck with fixing yours!!

Thanks, I think I'll keep mine for another good year or two just to see if it contours to my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back