Gadget Passions - what other fi's are you guys?!?!
Mar 25, 2007 at 9:02 AM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by rb67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watches:
Saving up for a Damasko DC66 (if you haven't heard of it, you owe it to yourself to check it out.
Also drooling at a Sinn 756

Photography:
Nikon D70, kit lens, AIS:28mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 2.0
Mamiya RB67 (hence my name) : 65mm and 90mm Mamiya lenses
Canonet G-III 17 (my handy range finder)

Shooting:
Just started at the range. Saving up for an FN FiveSeven

Shaving:
Been straight razor shaving for about 2 years

Alcohol:
Big Single Malt Scotch, Bourbon, beer, wine fan
Getting into good tequila

Classical guitar

DIY audio

Japanese Dramas (and used to be into anime)

i had a sinn 756.. beautiful watch, worth every penny. you should check out timezone.com. great forum, great people, and some pretty good deals on watches

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #33 of 45
Hmm I might join book-fi as it seems like a inexpensive hobby. But I rather read a good novel than to read my textbooks!

Mar 25, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekinwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i had a sinn 756.. beautiful watch, worth every penny. you should check out timezone.com. great forum, great people, and some pretty good deals on watches

Yup, already a member
tongue.gif
. I've been trying to decide between a Sinn and a Damasko. The one thing that worries me about the Sinn is the fact that the metal underneath the Tegiment is still 300 HV steel whereas the Damasko is hardened throughout. I'm pretty clumsy so I figured the Damasko would be better protection against bumps whereas the Sinn is better against scratches.

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:21 PM Post #35 of 45
Skinny-tire bicycles. The thrill of 50+ mph descents; the effortlessness of the lightweight fixed-gear; the curious looks from others while riding technical singletrack in dropped handlebars; the liberation of riding to the trailhead. The joy of maintaining a machine. Sadly, that was more of a west-coast thing, though.

Mar 25, 2007 at 8:26 PM Post #36 of 45
Uh oh, I might have gotten into mobiles phones again
biggrin.gif
I just bought a 6100 off eBay because I have two lines, and need a second functioning phone so I can use both simultaneously (yes it's actually to reduce the final bill). But I can feel the familiar urge coming on
tongue.gif

I'm thinking of restoring the phones I have now that aren't quite working properly. Nokia 8210, 6610, 6260, 3100, and a Palm Tungsten W :O

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #37 of 45
Unlike so many of you, my main non-audio/non-headphone hobby is quite inexpensive: vintage calculators. I bought two at an estate sale yesterday, a TI SR-10, so vintage that it is heavy, chunky, has tiny, red LED numbers, and the label on the bottom side calls it an "electronic slide rule calculator'; and a TI-35, much more modern, using an LCD display. Half a buck for both. I also got [dirt cheap] an Olympus XA-2 with flash, a minor classic. All three units worked when I got them home and installed batteries. I have, I suppose, a few dozen old calculators. It all began in the winter of 1969/70 when I discovered a room at college which contained nothing but one table, some chairs, and Wang calculators with nixie tube displays. I just loved them.

Photography [big Olympus fan, I regularly take better photos than my ex who has a Nikon 8008] is a hobby too, and cycling. My mountain bike is retired, and when I ride, it is on a vintage [that word again] Peugeot road racing machine which I have re-done as a hybrid. I have to deflate the tire to take the rear wheel out of the frame, the tires are so fat.

I also collect stone balls. Yes, I have about a dozen balls...

Laz

Mar 25, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #38 of 45
the best things in life-fi

reading
climbing
hiking
coffee
green tea
scotch
cigars

i think i am leaving behind

video game-fi
gadget-fi
internet-fi
headphones (alas)
staying-inside-rather-than-climbing-fi
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2007 at 11:18 PM Post #41 of 45
Books, love reading.
Beer, love drinking the stuff.
Bicycle
PDA's just about to buy my eighth.

No time for anything else. That's what happens when you have 3yo with another on the way!

Mar 26, 2007 at 12:16 AM Post #44 of 45
Kites, big (100 ft longX15 wide)and small(less than .25 inches, with graphics)fast(clocked by police radar at over 130MPH) and slow(flies indoors in zero wind), most of them DIY

Guns/Ammo/Target and competition
(Reloading)

Airplanes, DIY (Harmon Rocket, Lancair 320, Sherpa)

Telescopes, DIY

HAM Radio, DIY Antennas

I don't know if it is a "Fi", but I keep my computer Searching for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence every moment it is on.

Cooking

Knives

Single Malt Sipping/Gin Tasting/Bourbon/Tequila/Wine/Beer

SAILBOATS!!!

Hey - I need more money!!!

Mar 28, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #45 of 45
I'm a bit of a watch fan myself. I like things that are pretty, or are interesting, or that I find just plain cool. I'm probably not snobby enough to be a WIS.
smily_headphones1.gif

My favs are my Casio MI:III, or my Tissot pr50 automatic, although I finally took a step up and have a Longines presence automatic, and Stowa Antea KS on the way. My husband is going to be surprised with a Sinn Flieger II. Look at Skagens, get a Sinn is what I always say.
biggrin.gif

Both Mr. Plainsong and myself are bigtime into Windows-Mobile-fi, both pocketpc's and smartphones. He skins them (makes pretty buttons and icons and backgrounds), I'm his quality control and "business manager". Screen beautification is a must.

As I'm into treating my ears nicely with sound, I'm also into treating my eyes nicely with Oakleys. Why go through life outdoors always looking through the equal of ibuds? Distortion for your eyes isn't fun, and Oakley's got that over the top style and actual quality.

And of course, see EdWood about Puppy-Fi.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back