G.I. Joe...uhh..impressions
Aug 7, 2009 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

Galesden

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone else seen this movie yet? If you have feel free to share your impressions. I got dragged to this movie not expecting much. Well I was extremely surprised...I haven't laughed this hard at a movie that wasn't an all-out comedy in a long time. There were so many plot holes and just plain ludicrous scenes that there was no way i could recognize this movie as an action movie. The crappy dialogue that could barely move the plot so they mainly relied on mind melting explosions and special effects to advance the movie along. I don't want to be to much of a spoiler here but I'll give you one example of why this movie is worth seeing just for the pure ridiculousness of this movie. In this movie Ice SINKS in water!!! Yeah, I know crazy.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #2 of 54
Can't imagine the film will do that well in the UK. Then again there are a lot of morons here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In this movie Ice SINKS in water!!! Yeah, I know crazy.

That's quite possible. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #3 of 54
When did you see that? The only possible way to make ice sink is if it is in some liquid that is less dense than water, such as rubbing alchohol. Also, if the ice is made up of heavy water, H2O made from deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen with 1 proton and 1 neutron), the ice could possibly be more dense than the water. However, in the movie, it was regular ice at the top of the north pole that was floating, but when blown up into chunks started to sink and destroyed the underwater complex (seriously, thats what happened).

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #5 of 54
You can't expect too much of a movie based on an action figure. The movie industry has been scraping the bottom of the barrel so long, it is through the bottom, and halfway through the floor under it. We are beginning to see the sub-basement.
popcorn.gif

Aug 7, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 54
There's still some very nice films that came out in the last year: like Up and public enemies.

I make it a point to never watch a movie based on me having seen the cartoon when I was young. When they have to look to action figure cartoons for inspiration, it more or less means they're out of ideas.

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:40 PM Post #7 of 54
You mean it's gloriously bad? I might have to go see it, then. A couple other inadvertent comedies I loved are "Congo" and "The Postman." Both are hilarious if you go in expectin comedy. I also heard the new Transformers movie is funny.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:09 PM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by Galesden /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When did you see that? The only possible way to make ice sink is if it is in some liquid that is less dense than water, such as rubbing alchohol. Also, if the ice is made up of heavy water, H2O made from deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen with 1 proton and 1 neutron), the ice could possibly be more dense than the water. However, in the movie, it was regular ice at the top of the north pole that was floating, but when blown up into chunks started to sink and destroyed the underwater complex (seriously, thats what happened).

Precisely. Frozen heavy water is still ice.
Of course in the context of the film you are quite right.

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 54
The Day After Tomorrow was also pretty good for pseudoscience, especially when watched with a group of atmospheric scientists. I might have to check GI Joe out!

Aug 7, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #13 of 54
Quote:

I loved are "Congo" and "The Postman." Both are hilarious if you go in expectin comedy.

Congo isn't bad in a good way, like plan 9 from outer space or Troma moviesit's more like if I had a gun I'd shoot myself.

Aug 7, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 54
My sister read in "USA Today" that they wouldn't allow critics to see the film ahead of time. So ironically, I think that by itself was the best review ahead of time that shows how much confidence they put into the movie.
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back