With the usual caveats:
  1. I dont know the seller
  2. the seller is a newbie
  3. he dont answers the mails
  4. the insertion lacks of several major information

wink.gif

jacopi|!

Aug 25, 2004 at 7:46 AM Post #2 of 73
And you forgot another cause for concern: Why would anyone want to sell their Orpheus?

Well, right know I can think of a couple: to buy a new car, finish paying off the mortgage, send their kids to college, buy 50 pairs of HD650s....
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 8:09 AM Post #5 of 73
tempting... but something isn't right.

Aug 25, 2004 at 8:34 AM Post #6 of 73
Tempting, maybe, but this has got scam written all over it!

Imagine putting up a system with a new retail price of $14,900.00 with no reserve? No comments about it's value anywhere in the ad? The only pic is a 'stock' pic (as well as the product description) that can be snagged off the Internet with ease by anyone with a 4th grade education. Not only does the guy have zero feedback, he just joined eBay on August 24th (the day the ad was placed). No information about the acceptable methods of payment. Nothing.

If you do bid and win, please do not send this guy any money in any way, shape or form! Find a fellow head-fi'er whom you can trust (there are several of them within driving distance of Akron, Ohio) and offer to pay them a small commission to arrange a "Cash-for-Orpheus" swap in person with the seller, making payment only after seeing the headphones and amp for themselves. I'd be 99.9% sure that such a meeting would never take place. The guy will just disappear off the face of the Earth once he knows that you're on to him.

Aug 25, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Find a fellow head-fi'er whom you can trust (there are several of them within driving distance of Akron, Ohio) and offer to pay them a small commission to arrange a "Cash-for-Orpheus" swap in person with the seller, making payment only after seeing the headphones and amp for themselves. I'd be 99.9% sure that such a meeting would never take place.

yep! and on the residual 0.1%, after the swap taking place, the fellow head|fi'er and your orpheus would suddenly disappear in misterious circumstances
tongue.gif

J|!

Aug 25, 2004 at 9:13 AM Post #8 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by jacopo
yep! and on the residual 0.1%, after the swap taking place, the fellow head|fi'er and your orpheus would suddenly disappear in misterious circumstances
tongue.gif

J|!

lol lol lol
icon10.gif

your mind have quite good ideas
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 25, 2004 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 73
If the guy *does* make money off of that sale, wouldn't eBay be able to track him down and recover money? (They do have his CC number after all...) Or is that some sort of eBay "I don't care if you get robbed" policy?

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #11 of 73
fine.

ill take the risk and we'll see who has the last laugh when i win this for 900 bucks!

j/k

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:38 PM Post #13 of 73
Quote:

Originally Posted by JiPi
If the guy *does* make money off of that sale, wouldn't eBay be able to track him down and recover money? (They do have his CC number after all...) Or is that some sort of eBay "I don't care if you get robbed" policy?

probably not , this is quite clearly a fraud attempt , so ( MO ) it should be no risk for the skilled thief
i shooted an email too wihtout answer ..who would put first time an ebay auction selling one Orpheus system , low starting price - and would not care about tracking day by day what happen on ?

there's probably some people making some money lastly on ebay this way

Aug 25, 2004 at 1:44 PM Post #14 of 73
I had a problem with an ebayer and eBay refunded me. But this warranty covers only 300 or 400$ if I remember....

In another case, and with an amount of about 1.000$ a friend of mine had the money back by his bank/creditcard company

but spwal be careful

jacopi|!

Aug 25, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 73
The best case scenario would be that the seller is some crackhead looking to unload a stolen Orpheus for some quick cash not knowing (or not caring about) it's true worth. However, I think anybody with any amount of intelligence can see that there is a 99.9% probability that it is a BLATANT scam attempt.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back