FX-Audio DAC-X6 initial impressions
Mar 2, 2017 at 6:36 AM Post #92 of 132
I am interested in getting one of these, specially for the price. One think I didn't quite get it right from the specs and the descriptions, and I hope you guys can help:

- the analogue output on the back of this thing, is it fixed level? Or does the volume knob also controls the volume of that output? 

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #93 of 132
The rca line out is at fixed level, not connected to the volume knob, only the headphone amp is. This is normal. You will have to adjust volume through your digital source (e.g. foobar) or your main amplifier or preamp / buffer.

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:24 AM Post #94 of 132
  The rca line out is at fixed level, not connected to the volume knob, only the headphone amp is. This is normal. You will have to adjust volume through your digital source (e.g. foobar) or your main amplifier or preamp / buffer.

Thank you. This is what I was looking for! I wish to connect this DAC to my integrated amplifier, and the line out being fixed level is great news. 
If this DAP had also an analog line in, for this price, it would be perrrrfect!!! 

Mar 2, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #95 of 132

Thank you. This is what I was looking for! I wish to connect this DAC to my integrated amplifier, and the line out being fixed level is great news. 
If this DAP had also an analog line in, for this price, it would be perrrrfect!!! 

It's a pretty awesome little DAC. I can also recommend the FX 1002A (updated/pro version) amplifier - small size and packs a big punch!

Mar 3, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #96 of 132
Hey guys I got the same device
And I use it as a DAC only. I made some upgrades like replacing capacitors and replacing the opamp with OPA2604. But I would like to ask how can I determine the votage that gets to the Opampand can I it be raised.... Since the opa2604needs a bet more power then the opa2134.. Thanks in advance!

Apr 9, 2017 at 6:25 PM Post #97 of 132

Very useful information.
When the headphone and the rca are connected, they work simultaneously?
I've been wondering about that, since mine didn't arrive yet.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:49 PM Post #98 of 132
Hey guys I got the same device
And I use it as a DAC only. I made some upgrades like replacing capacitors and replacing the opamp with OPA2604. But I would like to ask how can I determine the votage that gets to the Opampand can I it be raised.... Since the opa2604needs a bet more power then the opa2134.. Thanks in advance!

I am having the same question here. I bought LME49860NA and OPA2604, while lme49860na works great, but I do feel opa2604 needing a bit more juice.

Very useful information.
When the headphone and the rca are connected, they work simultaneously?
I've been wondering about that, since mine didn't arrive yet.

Yes they work simultaneously, and the volume pot only controls headphone out.

Apr 10, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #99 of 132
Update.... After some time with all thr new capacitors and the OPA2604... I think it works without a problem.... The sound is clear and warm (previously I had some issues with the audio software so they might pointed me of thinking that the problem was op-amp releated.. But I guess not! I have found out that the little blue "nob" inside regulates the voltage but I am not sure how to measure it so for now I'll leave it alone.

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #100 of 132
Hi guys, I have some questions about the use of this device as a standalone DAC.

I haven't had an external AMP yet. But I plan to get a Schiit Asgard. Would this be compatible with the DAC-6?

I imagine that I'll connect it to my soon-to-be-bought Asgard via RCA connectors? Will the two RCA input port at the back of the DAC-6 automatically act as a signal out put to the Asgard in this situation? Does the DAC-6's power brick need to be plugged in for its DAC function to work?

These questions could have been answered already somewhere, but as of right now, I couldn't find anything to be exactly my case. So sorrry inadvance for being repetitive.

Apr 11, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #101 of 132
Yes it will work and yes you need to haveit pluged in order for it to work. Use RCA cables to connect it to any amplifier... In this case the volum nob is irrelevant (it is only for the headphone amp)

Apr 11, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #102 of 132
Yes it will work and yes you need to haveit pluged in order for it to work. Use RCA cables to connect it to any amplifier... In this case the volum nob is irrelevant (it is only for the headphone amp)

Oh boy, I really have to plug it in after all. It's gonna be a cluster of wire on my table for sure...

Anyway, thanks for the answer.

May 4, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #105 of 132
So, I have an issue with my DAC-X6. I'm curious if its just my unit.

When using the headphone amp while also having the RCA line outs connected to a stereo receiver (powered off) there is static on the headphone amp. Disconnecting the line outs from the receiver solves the problem. Strangely, turning on the receiver also seems to eliminate or lessen the static.

I've tried connecting the X6 to two different receivers with the same result. Connecting the X6 line out to a set of DC (wall wart) powered PC speakers didn't cause any issue.

So it seems like I can't have the X6 line outs connected to an AC powered receiver without causing static/crackling in the X6's headphone amp.

edit: Same deal connected to an unplugged receiver. Who knows.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back