FX-Audio DAC-X6 initial impressions
Dec 12, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #63 of 132
Just wondering if anyone knows about the 2 undocumented jumpers?
I've tried flipping it around, but I can't hear much of a difference... kinda weird

And btw, does anyone know how to "Reduce the Gain" on this amp?
I read somewhere in this tread that people are using it with high sensitivity IEM, this is surprising me.
Because I'm pairing it with DT990 250ohm & HD650, anything beyond 8 o'clock on the volume knob is way too loud...
Yet, pairing it with K240 MK2, 7 o'clock is where i set my volume, which is only 1 click from zero.

Dec 12, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #64 of 132
  Just wondering if anyone knows about the 2 undocumented jumpers?
I've tried flipping it around, but I can't hear much of a difference... kinda weird

And btw, does anyone know how to "Reduce the Gain" on this amp?
I read somewhere in this tread that people are using it with high sensitivity IEM, this is surprising me.
Because I'm pairing it with DT990 250ohm & HD650, anything beyond 8 o'clock on the volume knob is way too loud...
Yet, pairing it with K240 MK2, 7 o'clock is where i set my volume, which is only 1 click from zero.

Are you kididng me?! Where did you buy it? There is definitely something wrong with it. I never know such a powerful headphone amplifier - to drive HD650 at 8pm!

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #66 of 132

Are you kididng me?! Where did you buy it? There is definitely something wrong with it. I never know such a powerful headphone amplifier - to drive HD650 at 8pm!

You have heard me correctly. And frankly I don't think this is how it should behave.
Hence, I wonder if there's way to change its gain setting.
My unit was bought from Massdrop back in mid October.

I was surprised when I hook it up with HD650 & DT990.
I'm not saying it has the power to nicely feed both headphones. The sound stage is narrow, and not much details compare to Magni 2
But volume wise, it's unreasonably loud. I never attempt to go above 8:30 o'clock :frowning2:  help or thoughts please?

example below:
zero click (7:30 o'clock) = No volume
1 click                         = Channel imbalance, Right channel is significantly low
2 clicks (8 o'clock)        = Too quiet for HD650; Fair amount of volume for K240 MK2.
3 clicks                       = Fair volume for HD650; Too loud on K240 for my taste.
4 clicks                        = A little loud on HD650 but listenable; Ear exploding loud on K240
5 clicks (8:30 o'clock)   = Still listenable on HD650 but might affect hearing in long term.

My setup: FLAC > Foobar2000 > DAC-X6 via USB > Headphones

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #67 of 132
  You have heard me correctly. And frankly I don't think this is how it should behave.

I'm not saying it has the power to nicely feed both headphones. The sound stage is narrow, and not much details compare to Magni 2
But volume wise, it's unreasonably loud. I never attempt to go above 8:30 o'clock :frowning2:  help or thoughts please?

example below:
1 click                         = Channel imbalance, Right channel is significantly low
2 clicks (8 o'clock)        = Too quiet for HD650; Fair amount of volume for K240 MK2.
3 clicks                       = Fair volume for HD650; Too loud on K240 for my taste.
4 clicks                        = A little loud on HD650 but listenable; Ear exploding loud on K240
5 clicks (8:30 o'clock)   = Still listenable on HD650 but might affect hearing in long term.

Or you can open it to see what kind of opamp it has :)

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #70 of 132

example below:

Definitely weird.

With my 38 ohm ad900x needs to be like 8:30-9 o'clock. Also, in some movies I must set it like 10-11 o'clock to hear the details such as background effects. Could the potentiometer be defective ? 

8:30 o'clock for hd650, WTH ! And what jumpers ? Theres only on/off switch and connection switch(usb-optic-coax). 

Could you share a picture of those jumpers ?

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #71 of 132
  Definitely weird.

With my 38 ohm ad900x needs to be like 8:30-9 o'clock. Also, in some movies I must set it like 10-11 o'clock to hear the details such as background effects. Could the potentiometer be defective ? 

8:30 o'clock for hd650, WTH ! And what jumpers ? Theres only on/off switch and connection switch(usb-optic-coax). 

Could you share a picture of those jumpers ?

T_T feeling like I should talk to Massdrop for RMA, but what exactly should I tell them? "I guess the amp is acting weird by being too loud"??
Wondering if there's anyone with DAC-X6 near by 94539 area that can let me cross check the unit...

I believe AD900X has 100 dB/mW sensitivity; oppose to my 55ohm K240 with 91 dB/mW sensitivity. Your headphone should be a lot louder than mine at the same volume setting.
But mine is ear exploding loud before 8:30 o'clock. And yes, 8:30 o'clock for HD650 is the highest I can go. I don't have the guts to try listening 9 o'clock for an extensive time.
I kinda feel lost now :frowning2:

For the "jumpers", they are located inside the enclosure. At first, I assumed that's the gain switch, but I didn't notice any significant volume drop after switching them.

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #72 of 132
T_T feeling like I should talk to Massdrop for RMA, but what exactly should I tell them? "I guess the amp is acting weird by being too loud"??
Wondering if there's anyone with DAC-X6 near by 94539 area that can let me cross check the unit...

I believe AD900X h[COLOR=000000]as 100 dB/mW sensitivity; oppose to my 55ohm K240 with [/COLOR][COLOR=333333]91 dB/mW sensitivity. Your headphone should be a lot louder than mine at the same volume setting.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]But mine is ear exploding loud before 8:30 o'clock. And yes, 8:30 o'clock for HD650 is the highest I can go. I don't have the guts to try listening 9 o'clock for an extensive time.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=333333]I kinda feel lost now :frowning2:[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]For the "jumpers", they are located inside the enclosure. At first, I assumed that's the gain switch, but I didn't notice any significant volume drop after switching them.[/COLOR]

Could the volume knob be not placed correctly? When you turn all the way counter clockwise is it silent?

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #73 of 132
Could the volume knob be not placed correctly? When you turn all the way counter clockwise is it silent?

When I turn it all the way counter clockwise, it's dead silent.
Then, if I turn it up by 1 click, it's channel imbalanced where right channel has lower volume. (should be normal on an amp)
Therefore, I assume the volume knob is placed correctly.

Anyone like to share how they dialed the volume knob (DAC-X6) with their headphone?
I'd like to hear from people with IEM, HD6x0, DT990

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #74 of 132
  When I turn it all the way counter clockwise, it's dead silent.
Then, if I turn it up by 1 click, it's channel imbalanced where right channel has lower volume. (should be normal on an amp)
Therefore, I assume the volume knob is placed correctly.

Anyone like to share how they dialed the volume knob (DAC-X6) with their headphone?
I'd like to hear from people with IEM, HD6x0, DT990

I've sent a message to the manufacturer and am waiting for a reply. I will let you know what they have to say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back