FX-Audio DAC-X6 initial impressions
Aug 14, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 132
X6 pairs 598 very well. It's good for low impedance phones. It cannot drive well HD600. Its sound is pretty warm, so it might be too warm for some warm phones. At this price, it's a great product. It claims to be best value on Taobao.
Using optical and coaxial, you can get 24/192.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #17 of 132
  Hey, thanks for your input. I ended up followed what you said, plugging the speakers into the headphone out. That worked out quite well in the end.

It was because before I bought the X6, I wrote the seller on Aliexpress and asked, 1. are the RCA outs pre-amp outs (not amped) 2.will plugging in the headphone mutes the speakers (if the speakers are connected via rca outs at the back). They answered yes to both questions. That's why I was disappointed to find out it's not the case here. But I still think the X6 is a great option for anyone looking for a cheap dac/amp combo.

Has anyone else tried the output ports at the back?

When RCA out to a better amplifier, it'll sound a lot better. DAC part is much better than amplifier part.

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #19 of 132

When RCA out to a better amplifier, it'll sound a lot better. DAC part is much better than amplifier part.

I'll check this out, sometime; there's an aspect of the x6 sound that does impress me, and I wonder which part of my main system is 'letting the side down'.

Do you think that the RCA out is a complete by-pass of the hp amplifier stage?

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #21 of 132

You're quite right; it 'sings' of a different culture, with its good, and its bad. 
redface.gif

If for 'culture' is meant SCAM-ming, then we might be in agreement 
biggrin.gif

A 'yes' to those questions are only meant to trick the buyer into buying something he does not want.
But that would be OK because you will have a prompt full refund with pre-paid shipping ... no, wait ...

Aug 15, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #22 of 132
I'm not saying that you're wrong; of course, you have to take every precaution.

But, there's also another aspect at play here; different cultures have different 'standards' of correctness and professionalism. For instance, Asian cultures are particularly prone to having a fear of 'looking stupid'. So, they are quite likely to answer "yes", instead of stating their confusion. This is a common phenomenon, and the people in that society understand and accept this. Totally!

For us 'westerners', with our emphasis on openness, honesty and 'getting to the point', this can be quite confusing and, indeed, frustrating. It's not professional; it's not productive; it leads to misunderstandings and disappointment. But that is the only way that many people know.

So, it is quite possible that the seller just made a 'dishonest' mistake. Maybe they just didn't consider the implications of their words, rather than intentionally mislead. But either is possible. Who knows?
You've just got to ask the same question, in different ways, many times, preferably to different people, and then make your decision.

EDIT: You have to remember that Asian cultures believe in fate, much more than western ones.
If the seller just says whatever he thinks that he needs to, to make the questions go away, then that's probably the last he'll hear of it. But, if he openly admits that he doesn't understand, that's a surefire way to risk looking like an idiot.

Yes, I'm generalising; yes, there are exceptions; and yes, it's more complicated than that. But, I think that I'm outlining a cultural difference.

Aug 24, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #24 of 132
I received my DAC-X6 and have been doing some listening with various earphones. I haven't hooked it up to speakers yet, that will come tomorrow. Now it's hooked up to my pc via USB. First thought was holy ballz this sounds good! I agree with @BassDigger about the low end, it's really nice. Early days yet, will update later.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:51 PM Post #25 of 132
  I received my DAC-X6 and have been doing some listening with various earphones. I haven't hooked it up to speakers yet, that will come tomorrow. Now it's hooked up to my pc via USB. First thought was holy ballz this sounds good! I agree with @BassDigger about the low end, it's really nice. Early days yet, will update later.

Sweet. But dang honestly I have to resort to using my FiiO E12 Mont Blanc as a sort of extra amp from the headphone out of the DAC X6. 
DAC-X6  is a great deal but, when I switch from my FiiO portable amp attached to low Mw output android phone to PC... it just does not compare to the FiiO power. Even with bass boost off on the portable amp.

When going to play songs and other audio on my PC straight to DAC-X6 (from usb or optical) and attach any of my headphones and be like "what the crap?" Big power deficiency! so then I augment it with my FiiO.... But yes stand alone it is great. Especially for easy to drive headphones --- but even then I (to my ears) notice the lack of power output as to the stated specs.

I may get the MonoPrice amp/dac and see if that one lives up to the specs so I can do a side by side comparison of that and the DAC-X6. 

:TL;DR
It does amp but not as it loud as expected in the specifications of product description.

Aug 27, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #26 of 132
  Sweet. But dang honestly I have to resort to using my FiiO E12 Mont Blanc as a sort of extra amp from the headphone out of the DAC X6. 
DAC-X6  is a great deal but, when I switch from my FiiO portable amp attached to low Mw output android phone to PC... it just does not compare to the FiiO power. Even with bass boost off on the portable amp.

When going to play songs and other audio on my PC straight to DAC-X6 (from usb or optical) and attach any of my headphones and be like "what the crap?" Big power deficiency! so then I augment it with my FiiO.... But yes stand alone it is great. Especially for easy to drive headphones --- but even then I (to my ears) notice the lack of power output as to the stated specs.

I may get the MonoPrice amp/dac and see if that one lives up to the specs so I can do a side by side comparison of that and the DAC-X6. 

:TL;DR
It does amp but not as it loud as expected in the specifications of product description.

Oh, sorry, E12 is better than the stock amplifier part. But you should not connect like this. If you want to connect X6 with E12, please use back RCA on X6.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:10 AM Post #27 of 132

Oh, sorry, E12 is better than the stock amplifier part. But you should not connect like this. If you want to connect X6 with E12, please use back RCA on X6.

Cool! Thanks for the tip! Is there a reason as to why FiiO should be to connected to back RCA? Just curious! As I have seen this on other threads with regards to this on different systems.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:13 AM Post #28 of 132
  Cool! Thanks for the tip! Is there a reason as to why FiiO should be to connected to back RCA? Just curious! As I have seen this on other threads with regards to this on different systems.

Through RCA, it'll bypass the amplifier of X6. Otherwise, the signal will be double amplified. The sound would be worsen.

Aug 28, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #29 of 132

Through RCA, it'll bypass the amplifier of X6. Otherwise, the signal will be double amplified. The sound would be worsen.

Ah cool. Thanks!!! I will see if I have a cable handy to run through RCA instead. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back