Fuze LOD?
Sep 22, 2011 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Chris Haigh

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Is there any way to run a SanDisk Fuze through an LOD cable and an external DAC and Amp like one would with an i-pod?

Particularly interested in the FiiO lineup. Any opinions on their products in general or model specific would also be great.

Thanks,
Chris.

Sep 22, 2011 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 14

Quote:
Hello all,

Is there any way to run a SanDisk Fuze through an LOD cable and an external DAC and Amp like one would with an i-pod?

Particularly interested in the FiiO lineup. Any opinions on their products in general or model specific would also be great.

Thanks,
Chris.

You can get line-out from a Fuze LOD (for amp), but not digital-out (for DAC).

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:
I see, so I would simply be amplifying the analog signal from the Fuze, boosting my volume but gaining no quality enhancement?

Not if the external amp is better than the internal amp.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:39 AM Post #6 of 14
There are 2 options for a Fuze LOD, and you can find both on eBay:

I have the first one, using my own right angle cable to my amp.  When you insert the LOD, the Fuze automatically bypasses its own internal amp and sends a strong (loud) signal out that your external or portable amp works with.  Then you plug your ear/headphones into the amp.

Sep 23, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #7 of 14
Ahh, just what I wanted to hear!

The L6 can just be bought off amazon, will it be much worse than your 2?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004M172KO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Also what amp do you use? What do you think of the FiiO E5, E11, E7?

Sep 23, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 14
The Fiio L6 will work great, and Fiio products are very good generally.  The E5 is OK, esp for the small price, but the E11 is a good bit better -- cleaner sounding and more powerful if you have a pair of high impedence headphones that need some power. 

OTOH, the E7 can be used as an amp from the Fuze, or it can be used as a digital-to-analog converter (DAC) from a computer via the USB.  When you plug a DAC into a computer, it is recoginized as a DAC and the sound output is sent out the USB port/cable.  I had an E7, and didn't see the need for the DAC option (my computer has pretty good audio processing), and the amp section is not as strong as the E11, so the E7 wasn't much use to me.

There are a number of nice portable amps under $100 (either new or used) that you could try.  They all do similar, and TBH you have to have pretty good ears to hear big differences between one and another.  IMO, the E11 is a great bargain for it's price if all you need is a portable amp.  It has a couple of levels of bass boost if you need/want that, and a very clean sound.

Check out the Pictures of your Port. Rig thread to see tons of examples of player + amp combos.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #9 of 14
Great.I'm pretty much set now.

I also have a seperate setup for my PC wich is sounding very good at the moment, so I have no need for a DAC in that respect. Only reason I like the E7 is that when I eventually get an i-pod classic (Whenever RockBox gets done properly) I will not need to replace my amp as with an i-pod you can really make use of the DAC.

All I need to do now is decide between the E5 and The E11, so damn difficult.

Thanks,
Chris.

Sep 23, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #10 of 14
TBH, the E5 seems like a toy compared to the E11, in terms of product build and quality.  The sound of the E5 is still very good for only $30 USD, but for future use, the E11 will probably serve you better.

Sep 23, 2011 at 6:24 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Great.I'm pretty much set now.

I also have a seperate setup for my PC wich is sounding very good at the moment, so I have no need for a DAC in that respect. Only reason I like the E7 is that when I eventually get an i-pod classic (Whenever RockBox gets done properly) I will not need to replace my amp as with an i-pod you can really make use of the DAC.

All I need to do now is decide between the E5 and The E11, so damn difficult.

Thanks,
Chris.

I wouldn't even consider the E5 anymore now that the E6 is out.

Sep 23, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #12 of 14
E11 and Cmoy or P2V2 (sp?) I got the Fiio LOD and then i was told it was the worst one you could get, oh well i can control the volume from my just one knob so it's alright i guess..

Oct 22, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm sure it will be fine, depending on how flexible the cable is - looks thick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back