Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 26, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #2,345 of 2,359
i got the older version mainly due to a big discount, bass is very overpowering, if you are a crazy bass head, that will be suitable for you, but it is already discontinued.

i tried the new 1, it is more natural, smoother and balance compare with the older version, more tighter and tame down bass instead of boomy, treble is a little bit harsh on the side, might due to burn in effect. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #2,346 of 2,359
Going to try and revive this thread again. I've been out of the game a while bc my habit was proving to be pretty costly.  Anyway, my M5s died some tim ago so I've been using Head Direct RE2s (yes, I know...nothing like the M5s lol).  I was quite satisfied with the M5s as I like bass, but thought I should see if there are any new IEMs on the market to consider.  Just started browsing through the threads so I haven't fully done my research. I'm pretty loyal to cowon players if that's any help as well...need to update my sig though. Thanks in advance.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:42 AM Post #2,347 of 2,359
[size=10pt]I just received my MG7 Pro (m5 with m7 driver) today - I'm driving it from an Ipod Nano 4gen with the "rock" equalizer setting. I'm coming from the ever-loved Hippo VB's, I have used my old pair to death and the chord broke apart; I love those things. I wanted to try the Atrio so took a $230 risk on them.[/size]
[size=10pt]So far I'm finding the bass rather anaemic compared to the VB’s – I am fully aware that these have had no burn-in at all but I’m not sure how much difference this will make.  I’m using the standard sized silicon buds that came with them, haven’t yet tried the foams.  [/size]
[size=10pt]Will this open up much more in bass with some burn-in?  On the VB’s I used the highest bass-plate setting.  [/size]

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #2,348 of 2,359
Quote:
[size=10pt]I just received my MG7 Pro (m5 with m7 driver) today - I'm driving it from an Ipod Nano 4gen with the "rock" equalizer setting. I'm coming from the ever-loved Hippo VB's, I have used my old pair to death and the chord broke apart; I love those things. I wanted to try the Atrio so took a $230 risk on them.[/size]
[size=10pt]So far I'm finding the bass rather anaemic compared to the VB’s – I am fully aware that these have had no burn-in at all but I’m not sure how much difference this will make.  I’m using the standard sized silicon buds that came with them, haven’t yet tried the foams.  [/size]
[size=10pt]Will this open up much more in bass with some burn-in?  On the VB’s I used the highest bass-plate setting.  [/size]

Dude, anaemic? You have to be a complete bass addict to think these are anaemic. Atrio is considered the "Bass Kings" because of how well they balance the quality and quantity. You might need some mental burn in as well because the Hippos had to of had some bloated bass for you to think the MG7 is thin, so give them some time.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #2,349 of 2,359
Maybe experiment with those tips more! Definitely should not be bass-shy in the least.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #2,350 of 2,359
[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]I just received my MG7 Pro (m5 with m7 driver) today - I'm driving it from an Ipod Nano 4gen with the "rock" equalizer setting. I'm coming from the ever-loved Hippo VB's, I have used my old pair to death and the chord broke apart; I love those things. I wanted to try the Atrio so took a $230 risk on them.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]So far I'm finding the bass rather anaemic compared to the VB’s – I am fully aware that these have had no burn-in at all but I’m not sure how much difference this will make.  I’m using the standard sized silicon buds that came with them, haven’t yet tried the foams. [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=10pt][COLOR=000000]Will this open up much more in bass with some burn-in?  On the VB’s I used the highest bass-plate setting. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Break them in ~100 hours. They don't have the bass impact at all out of the box.

Mar 4, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #2,351 of 2,359
Quote:

Dude, anaemic? You have to be a complete bass addict to think these are anaemic. Atrio is considered the "Bass Kings" because of how well they balance the quality and quantity. You might need some mental burn in as well because the Hippos had to of had some bloated bass for you to think the MG7 is thin, so give them some time.

[size=10pt]Yes, absolutely. I'm qualifying that position with their lack of burn-in but out of the box the depth, quality and power of the bass was not being presented from the Ipod Nano. [/size]

[size=10pt]I've been burning the in overnight off a notebook cycling the same track and can tell a difference (it can generate more bass tone than the Nano can). The difference seems quite discernible even after only about a 10-12 hour burn-in, I’d say that this is going to be good advice for new owners.  [/size]

[size=10pt]As for my expectations – I’m a bass-head I guess but I’m not that insane, I have Beyer DT770’s and DT990’s and I have to de-bass those a tad as they are capable of overdoing it.  [/size]

[size=10pt]Bazirker is right, about 100 hours should make quite a difference.  The Hippos were happier out of the box, I wouldn’t call their bass bloated though;  just a lot of it and the quality was always something that amazed me.  I came from the UE 5EB’s to the Hippo VB’s and was amazed that the VBs did a better job (and you didn’t have to do the 3-step-adjust of the EBs, i.e. re-insert them in your ear after taking 3 steps because they kept falling out and losing seal).[/size]

[size=10pt]CN11, the tips – I’ve tried the larger silicon ones but haven’t tried foam yet.  I’m probably more partial to silicon in the longer term, they only come with the double-flange types in the box;  are there any good 3rd party tips that you’re aware of?   Of course I’ll try out the foam tips first.[/size]

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #2,352 of 2,359
Quote:
[size=10pt]Yes, absolutely. I'm qualifying that position with their lack of burn-in but out of the box the depth, quality and power of the bass was not being presented from the Ipod Nano. [/size]

[size=10pt]I've been burning the in overnight off a notebook cycling the same track and can tell a difference (it can generate more bass tone than the Nano can). The difference seems quite discernible even after only about a 10-12 hour burn-in, I’d say that this is going to be good advice for new owners.  [/size]

[size=10pt]As for my expectations – I’m a bass-head I guess but I’m not that insane, I have Beyer DT770’s and DT990’s and I have to de-bass those a tad as they are capable of overdoing it.  [/size]

[size=10pt]Bazirker is right, about 100 hours should make quite a difference.  The Hippos were happier out of the box, I wouldn’t call their bass bloated though;  just a lot of it and the quality was always something that amazed me.  I came from the UE 5EB’s to the Hippo VB’s and was amazed that the VBs did a better job (and you didn’t have to do the 3-step-adjust of the EBs, i.e. re-insert them in your ear after taking 3 steps because they kept falling out and losing seal).[/size]

[size=10pt]CN11, the tips – I’ve tried the larger silicon ones but haven’t tried foam yet.  I’m probably more partial to silicon in the longer term, they only come with the double-flange types in the box;  are there any good 3rd party tips that you’re aware of?   Of course I’ll try out the foam tips first.[/size]

For sure. Well, I hope they open up for you like I know they can. I'm listening to them right now and the bass response feels like I have a stereo system in my head. Not overdone and really well textured and executed. The whole spectrum of frequencies is quality on these.

Mar 5, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #2,353 of 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by davo-cc /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It's been a while since I've had them, but if I recall correctly the tips I liked best were JAYS single flange silicones, and Klipsch single flanges as well. I can't recall the specifics of each though. 

Mar 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #2,354 of 2,359
[size=10pt]Excellent, that's precisely what I'm looking for - the DT770's have taught me much about bass because they can do it so excessively, they've helped me really hone what I'm looking for in that regard;  I've been on the hunt for decent bass in earphones since the late 80's back with the (then king) HPV-99's which I had to import from Japan (they would fracture after about 3 months of use).  From what you describe here this is going to be very much worth it![/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back