Futuresonics Atrio M5
Oct 15, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #1,816 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using a Headsix right now and I've been very pleased with it so far. To my ear, it adds some fullness to the sound and I get much better separation and detail. Maybe most noticeably, it brings the presentation a little more forward - now that I've gotten used to it, when I listen unamped I feel a little removed from the music in comparison.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Thanks AmanGeorge and to everyone else. All this info is helpful.

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #1,817 of 2,359
So I just got in a pair of ER4Ps that I was eager to try out against my Atrios because they have such different sound signatures. I thought I'd post my impressions here. Both headphones are being run off my 5gen iPod through a HEADSIX with a Qables LOD.

Norah Jones - The Nearness of You
Ety - Very forward vocals, she's right in your face. Her voice is silky smooth but maybe a little peaky in upper midrange? Lots of very lush midrange in here, sound is more balanced than the Atrio, definitely a brighter by comparison. Microphonics are INSANE.
Atrio - definitely a darker sound, a little thinner in the midrange. The piano comes on very strong now, especially in the lower octaves - presentation of vocals is a little less forward. I feel more lulled by this sound, for better or for worse.

Seal - Kiss from a Rose
Ety - Very airy. Again the presentation is quite forward. There's definitely a brightness, I'm hearing things in the treble that I haven't noticed before. I can see how people might find this sound a little fatiguing. The clarity in the treble really draws your attention to everything in that range. At the same time, I think I definitely prefer the presentation of voices here - they just sound a little more human.
Atrio - The soundstage is pretty wide, but doesn't have the same feel of air. HUGE difference here in the sounds, much starker than Norah Jones. The darkness of this sound is so relaxing - it's like being wrapped up in a warm blanket of sound. I'm not hearing those same treble sounds I noticed when listening with the Etys. At the same time, separation and clarity is not all there.

Yanni - The Rain Must Fall and Acroyali
Ety - The soundstage is pretty wide and VERY deep. I was actually expecting the Etys to shine given some orchestral music, but the sound comes off as oo thin for my tastes. I think the lack of bass is more noticeable when it's not there to ground a large orchestral piece. Although the separation of the instruments and the quickness of the headphones is really impressive, the lack of bass impact is extremely distracting. It's really like night and day between the amount of bass information that gets carried.
Atrio - I finally feel like I'm hearing the whole piece now. The impact of the drums is much more noticeable, and the sound is very nice and smooth. I'm not getting the same level of detail that I was in the Etys but I'm also not really missing it.

Coldplay - Viva la Vida (I wanted to try something that was not necessarily as great a recording to see how they dealt with this)
Etys - Bringing out the things I love about this song very well - energy, speed, shimmering feeling. Listening to Coldplay with my Atrios has always made me feel like Chris Martin's voice is too far away, but the presentation here is much more satisfying.
Atrio - The bass impact is very present now, but these are clearly a little slower, and it muddies the track a little bit. The presentation of the bass is a little too much here, maybe. Although it's nice to have the smooth sound, it gets in the way of some of the other aspects of the song, especially in the chorus when there's more going on.

Bottom line - it's hard to pick a favorite here, they've got very different strengths and weaknesses. I think the Etys have spoiled me with regard to their presentation of vocals, which is extremely seductive. At the same time, I can't help but feel like there's something missing when listening to an orchestra or symphony. When listening to Yanni, I would take the Atrios by a mile. If I had to give one up (which I might), I would probably let go of the Etys, just because I really felt like there was a lot missing in some of the pieces I've listened to, and while I prefer the Ety's presentation of vocals (Norah Jones sounded wonderful!) I could more easily live with the Atrio's vocals than the Ety's orchestra.

Oct 19, 2008 at 12:25 PM Post #1,818 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I just got in a pair of ER4Ps that I was eager to try out against my Atrios because they have such different sound signatures. I thought I'd post my impressions here. Both headphones are being run off my 5gen iPod through a HEADSIX with a Qables LOD.

Norah Jones - The Nearness of You
Ety - Very forward vocals, she's right in your face. Her voice is silky smooth but maybe a little peaky in upper midrange? Lots of very lush midrange in here, sound is more balanced than the Atrio, definitely a brighter by comparison. Microphonics are INSANE.
Atrio - definitely a darker sound, a little thinner in the midrange. The piano comes on very strong now, especially in the lower octaves - presentation of vocals is a little less forward. I feel more lulled by this sound, for better or for worse.

Seal - Kiss from a Rose
Ety - Very airy. Again the presentation is quite forward. There's definitely a brightness, I'm hearing things in the treble that I haven't noticed before. I can see how people might find this sound a little fatiguing. The clarity in the treble really draws your attention to everything in that range. At the same time, I think I definitely prefer the presentation of voices here - they just sound a little more human.
Atrio - The soundstage is pretty wide, but doesn't have the same feel of air. HUGE difference here in the sounds, much starker than Norah Jones. The darkness of this sound is so relaxing - it's like being wrapped up in a warm blanket of sound. I'm not hearing those same treble sounds I noticed when listening with the Etys. At the same time, separation and clarity is not all there.

Yanni - The Rain Must Fall and Acroyali
Ety - The soundstage is pretty wide and VERY deep. I was actually expecting the Etys to shine given some orchestral music, but the sound comes off as oo thin for my tastes. I think the lack of bass is more noticeable when it's not there to ground a large orchestral piece. Although the separation of the instruments and the quickness of the headphones is really impressive, the lack of bass impact is extremely distracting. It's really like night and day between the amount of bass information that gets carried.
Atrio - I finally feel like I'm hearing the whole piece now. The impact of the drums is much more noticeable, and the sound is very nice and smooth. I'm not getting the same level of detail that I was in the Etys but I'm also not really missing it.

Coldplay - Viva la Vida (I wanted to try something that was not necessarily as great a recording to see how they dealt with this)
Etys - Bringing out the things I love about this song very well - energy, speed, shimmering feeling. Listening to Coldplay with my Atrios has always made me feel like Chris Martin's voice is too far away, but the presentation here is much more satisfying.
Atrio - The bass impact is very present now, but these are clearly a little slower, and it muddies the track a little bit. The presentation of the bass is a little too much here, maybe. Although it's nice to have the smooth sound, it gets in the way of some of the other aspects of the song, especially in the chorus when there's more going on.

Bottom line - it's hard to pick a favorite here, they've got very different strengths and weaknesses. I think the Etys have spoiled me with regard to their presentation of vocals, which is extremely seductive. At the same time, I can't help but feel like there's something missing when listening to an orchestra or symphony. When listening to Yanni, I would take the Atrios by a mile. If I had to give one up (which I might), I would probably let go of the Etys, just because I really felt like there was a lot missing in some of the pieces I've listened to, and while I prefer the Ety's presentation of vocals (Norah Jones sounded wonderful!) I could more easily live with the Atrio's vocals than the Ety's orchestra.

Well done for your review!

I really like the wide soundstage of the Atrio. With classical music, on certain recordings one can almost "see" the physical position of the players, not only in left-right spacation but in their rank on the stage: a bank of cellos players, then a bank of violins player, etc.

And the bass!!!The quality and level of bass of 5 or 10 violins or cellos playing together the same notes is quite something!!

regards,

Oct 19, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #1,819 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well done for your review!

I really like the wide soundstage of the Atrio. With classical music, on certain recordings one can almost "see" the physical position of the players, not only in left-right spacation but in their rank on the stage: a bank of cellos players, then a bank of violins player, etc.

And the bass!!!The quality and level of bass of 5 or 10 violins or cellos playing together the same notes is quite something!!

regards,

Yeah I also love the soundstage of the Atrio, but I will say that I appreciated the airiness of the Etys, which didn't seem to (for me) come across as fully through the Atrios.

But man, that bass...
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 19, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #1,820 of 2,359
Thanks AmanGeorge.

Do you think trying a pair of de-podded (47 ohm) Altec im716s would give me an idea of the Ety sound? I would like to test them but don't want to buy the ER-4Ps on a whim.

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:05 PM Post #1,821 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakankles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks AmanGeorge.

Do you think trying a pair of de-podded (47 ohm) Altec im716s would give me an idea of the Ety sound? I would like to test them but don't want to buy the ER-4Ps on a whim.

Sorry breakankles but I actually can't give you a good answer here, since I've never listened to im716s myself. Maybe someone else has a better idea?

Oct 20, 2008 at 2:49 PM Post #1,822 of 2,359
Thank you, AmanGeorge. Your ER-4p vs. Atrio matchup confirms my expectations. While I've never tried the ER-4, I used to own the ER-6... and HATED them. Much crisper and more detailed highs, but distractingly weak and absent bass response. I've heard similar complaints about the ER-4 from the person who originally introduced me to Future Sonics, producer Neil Kernon.

I tend to compare Etymotics to the AKG K701. An impressively detailed sound, but which I find fatiguing and lacking in bass impact. The Atrio more closely resembles the Sennheiser HD650 (I haven't heard the HD600, might be closer to that), which is smoother overall with a more lush low-end.

So yes, I agree that while the Atrio isn't the "perfect" earphone for people who prefer detail to warmth, but they are surprisingly detailed while being far more livable on a day-to-day basis. For someone like me who listens for several hours a day, the Atrio is superb, and a far better choice than most IEMs or even headphones in general.

Thanks again for the confirmation!

Oct 21, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #1,823 of 2,359
I have gone through this dauntingly long thread and i think i'm going to take the plunge and order the atrios, but before i do i have a couple of questions...

to get the best out of the atrios, will i need to purchase shure olive tips or will the supplied tips be sufficient?

any other tips?

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #1,824 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by breakankles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks AmanGeorge.

I own the im716s (depodded at 47ohm) and they sound remarkably like the ER4Ps, which I owned and sold, ironically, to finance a pair of M5s a long time ago. I'd say the 716s, which I use with the Comply short tips, are a little warmer.

I was lucky in that I got the 716s for $20 (newegg) and depodded by Germania (a great head-fier) for $20. So I got a great deal. I do listen to the 716s, even with the Sleeks and X10s here, but they require a good amp (or at least a FiiO), without a doubt. Same as the Etys in my view.

Just as an FYI, I sold the Atrios after buying the SA6s, which are pretty much in a dead heat with the X10s as my everyday IEMs.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #1,825 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by enigma7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have gone through this dauntingly long thread and i think i'm going to take the plunge and order the atrios, but before i do i have a couple of questions...

to get the best out of the atrios, will i need to purchase shure olive tips or will the supplied tips be sufficient?

any other tips?

In my experience, the best sound comes out of the included Atrio foamies - the shure tips are fine, but their big advantage is being absurdly comfortable.

Oct 22, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #1,826 of 2,359
Quote:

has anyone heard the new super.fi 5s and know how they compare to the m5s?

IMO -these are far superior in every way (particularly the deep and warm bass
normal_smile .gif
) to the NON-pro Ultimate Ears super.fi 5 silver.

These atrio M5's need absolutely no EQ applied, unlike every other IEM I've tried before. I am a basshead, but also like classical; these are bassy but it's proper bass, and not saggy or tight like on other IEMs.

I've finally found the perfect pair of headphones that suit my listening needs! I love you Futuresonics Atrio M5.

Oct 22, 2008 at 2:25 PM Post #1,827 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own the im716s (depodded at 47ohm) and they sound remarkably like the ER4Ps, which I owned and sold, ironically, to finance a pair of M5s a long time ago. I'd say the 716s, which I use with the Comply short tips, are a little warmer.

I was lucky in that I got the 716s for $20 (newegg) and depodded by Germania (a great head-fier) for $20. So I got a great deal. I do listen to the 716s, even with the Sleeks and X10s here, but they require a good amp (or at least a FiiO), without a doubt. Same as the Etys in my view.

Just as an FYI, I sold the Atrios after buying the SA6s, which are pretty much in a dead heat with the X10s as my everyday IEMs.

Thanks for the response. I like my Atrios but the ER4P, SA6 and X10 are all on my radar. I'll start with the 716s and see what I think. Yeah, I missed that newegg deal. lol! Oh well.

Oct 22, 2008 at 8:21 PM Post #1,828 of 2,359
Quote:

any other tips?

I am on my last pair of FS foamies, and have ordered the Shure EA120 Yellow Foamies, and the Shure EA406A Soft Flex Gray Sleeves. From what I have gathered, the first give a similar sound signature to the FS foamies, with a slight increase in mid and treble while the latter offers comfort and ease. You may be one of the few that is able to get a good, long lasting seal with the FS flanges, but I couldn't stand them.

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:53 AM Post #1,829 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalmathmtcs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am on my last pair of FS foamies, and have ordered the Shure EA120 Yellow Foamies, and the Shure EA406A Soft Flex Gray Sleeves. From what I have gathered, the first give a similar sound signature to the FS foamies, with a slight increase in mid and treble while the latter offers comfort and ease. You may be one of the few that is able to get a good, long lasting seal with the FS flanges, but I couldn't stand them.

x2 on not liking the flanges

Oct 24, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #1,830 of 2,359
b4 u guys write off the bi flanges,i suggest u guys made a little
modification on it and u will be surprise how good it sounds.
its a simple mod,that is to cut it shorter at the end of the bi flanges.*use a pen knife to cut off about 5mm of its lenght*
it works wonder for me and i hope u guys give it a try and post your impression.
sorry for my bad english.*shy*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back