Futuresonics Atrio M5
Sep 29, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #1,801 of 2,359
Wow, Packgrog. Thanks for that really comprehensive comparo.

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #1,802 of 2,359
very interesting comparisons.thanx.

Oct 6, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #1,803 of 2,359
By the way, here's an example of an excellent "test song" for determining the capabilities of different headphones, particularly the Atrio:

Dead Can Dance - Song of the Stars (from the MFSL remastered SACD version of Spiritchaser).

Aside from the nice 3-dimensional soundstaging, the bass vibration during the opening shows you what the Atrio is capable. It feels like my whole head is vibrating. Incredible!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2008 at 3:21 PM Post #1,805 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif

6) Mini3 - Hey, for about $100 it's a decent amp. Not nearly as good as the Tomahawk in any respect. Definitely a case of You Get What You Pay For here. Better than no amp at all, but you can do much better.

Thanks for the info.

I just got my Atrios yesterday & all I have is a Mini 3 & a FiiO. If the Mini 3 is not great w/the M5, what do you recommend that doesn't break the bank? Maybe no more than $200? I plan on getting a Meier (probably 2Move/Headsix) or RSA close to the holidays when I have some extra $. I've been doing my research and trying to narrow things down.

Oct 11, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #1,806 of 2,359
I was deciding between the Sleek SA6 and the Atrio M5. I'm leaning towards the M5 mainly because I feel it will be more durable and have better bass than the SA6, even though the SA6 is touted to have better all around sound and expandability and customizability. What are your takes on the durability of the atrio? This is my biggest concern in buying a new phone- because I know they all will sound great.

Oct 11, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #1,808 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by downbc1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that these are good overall but sennheiser cx300 has punchy bass than atrios.

Hm. Different experience here: I found the CX300 had boomier and looser -- not punchier -- bass...and was markedly inferior in every aspect (especially with regards to the piercingly sibilant highs).

Oct 12, 2008 at 12:09 AM Post #1,809 of 2,359
Same... I borrowed my friend's CX300 for around a month (using my own tips of course LOL) and I found them extremely sibilant and generally "uncontrolled". The Atrio M5s were much more refined and the bass was just WOW... I kinda miss them now
frown.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:26 AM Post #1,810 of 2,359
I'm using a Headsix right now and I've been very pleased with it so far. To my ear, it adds some fullness to the sound and I get much better separation and detail. Maybe most noticeably, it brings the presentation a little more forward - now that I've gotten used to it, when I listen unamped I feel a little removed from the music in comparison.

Hope this helps, best of luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakankles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the info.

I just got my Atrios yesterday & all I have is a Mini 3 & a FiiO. If the Mini 3 is not great w/the M5, what do you recommend that doesn't break the bank? Maybe no more than $200? I plan on getting a Meier (probably 2Move/Headsix) or RSA close to the holidays when I have some extra $. I've been doing my research and trying to narrow things down.

Oct 13, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #1,813 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by wynn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mid of m5 isn't that good imo.
It sounds pretty soft and warm, I recommend to use this as background listening.

Huh? Can you qualify this a bit more (ie: what rig did you test with, what tips, and how much burn-in did you do before judging)?

While I agree that the mids are distant out-of-the-box, after proper burn in, the mids are, IMO, one of the Atrio's strong-points. The only criticism I've heard/read about the Atrio thus far that has made much sense is if the listener prefers a more analytical presentation with sharper highs. I've NEVER heard your complaint before (though, "soft and warm" and "background listening" aren't far off them mark, but I don't see that as "not that good").

Clarification?

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #1,814 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? Can you qualify this a bit more (ie: what rig did you test with, what tips, and how much burn-in did you do before judging)?

While I agree that the mids are distant out-of-the-box, after proper burn in, the mids are, IMO, one of the Atrio's strong-points. The only criticism I've heard/read about the Atrio thus far that has made much sense is if the listener prefers a more analytical presentation with sharper highs. I've NEVER heard your complaint before (though, "soft and warm" and "background listening" aren't far off them mark, but I don't see that as "not that good").

Clarification?

Yeah I've always thought of the mids being really good on the Atrio M5s as well. I mean they definitely aren't emphasized but they are smooth and full sounding compared to my HD25s or KSC75.

Oct 13, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #1,815 of 2,359
Hey guys,
I just placed an order for my atrio m5s with small shure olives, and I can't wait! I was deciding between those and the SA6 and I figured that these would be amazing for the bass heavy genres that I listen to- though in the end it came down to a best of 3 coin toss (which the atrios won!) because the SA6 are coming out with a new, more powerful bass port soon. So from now on, this is going to be my home thread
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back