Futuresonics Atrio M5
Sep 14, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #1,788 of 2,359
They weren't used anything like every day as I only used them when I was travelling as I use my Yuin Pk1 and amp when in the office. And I've had less expensive (these are £100) last significantly longer. Just really disappointed as the sound from them was very good.

Sep 14, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #1,789 of 2,359
I'd try e-mail customer support first. They are REALLY nice and helpful
smily_headphones1.gif
My memory wire was starting to turn green and they instantly offered to repair them for me, free of cost
biggrin.gif
I'd contact just to see what your other options are.

Sep 14, 2008 at 5:50 PM Post #1,790 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The XXS/Headsix has a bit of treble roll-off in low current mode. That's probably not what you want with the Atrios. High current mode is fine, but probably too loud for the Atrios.

RightMark Audio Analyzer test: comparison

I use the Headsix with my Atrios in high current mode and it actually works great - I didn't think the low gain mode was adequate, in fact.

Sep 15, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #1,792 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinxy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just over 14 months and the left ear phone has died.

Send them an email. You're a bit beyond the warantee period, but they MIGHT cut you some slack since this was a manufacturing defect in some v1 Atrios. I had that exact same problem in the first couple months of owning them, and I read elsewhere in this thread of a couple other people having that problem.

Now, I am NOT encouraging people to claim defects on their v1's to try to get themselves free v2's. Honestly, I can't tell the difference in the sound, and actually I found that the v1 fit a little better in my ears (but that's just me, YMMV). If there really is a problem with yours, let them know, and they might be able to help you out. If there's ISN'T a problem with your v1, be thankful that you have some fantastic earphones, and enjoy them!

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:18 AM Post #1,793 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use the Headsix with my Atrios in high current mode and it actually works great - I didn't think the low gain mode was adequate, in fact.

hmm actually how does the headsix sound with the atrios? cos i'm thinking of trying corda3move in the near future...
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #1,794 of 2,359
After a few months, my atrio rubber at the driver holding the cable disintegrated.

Does any warranty cover this, or am i doomed to find another pair of IEMs?

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #1,795 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fizban /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does any warranty cover this, or am i doomed to find another pair of IEMs?

two-year limited warranty. call them up. you'll just need to send in a copy of your receipt.

Sep 26, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #1,797 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by azarel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm actually how does the headsix sound with the atrios? cos i'm thinking of trying corda3move in the near future...
ksc75smile.gif

I tried the Headsix with my M8, and wasn't thrilled. Not that the Headsix is a bad amp, it's just that the presentation of the highs with the M8 lacked energy and clarity compared to using it with an iQube. I don't think I would have felt this way if I hadn't heard the Atrio with an iQube, so don't take this as a negative review of the Corda.

I think the Atrio benefits from an amp with a cleaner more transparent sound. The synergy of the Atrio with the iQube is incredible.

Sep 26, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #1,798 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by trickywombat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the Headsix with my M8, and wasn't thrilled. Not that the Headsix is a bad amp, it's just that the presentation of the highs with the M8 lacked energy and clarity compared to using it with an iQube. I don't think I would have felt this way if I hadn't heard the Atrio with an iQube, so don't take this as a negative review of the Corda.

I think the Atrio benefits from an amp with a cleaner more transparent sound. The synergy of the Atrio with the iQube is incredible.

Hah! Yeah. I tried the iQube last year and was floored (Moon Audio even quoted my impression on their page for it). Even though someone had a Lisa 3 there as well, I didn't get a chance to do a direct shoot-out between them. I was GREATLY impressed by the iQube, though, and had to fight hard with my yearning to buy one while they were still a little less expensive. Just can't afford it. But man, anyone who CAN afford one is encouraged to grab one, especially for use with the Atrio. Wonderful synergy!

Sep 28, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #1,799 of 2,359
been pairing my M5 with little dot mark1*opamp LT1364*for the past months and totally happy with this combination.
my music has never been better
ksc75smile.gif

it would be great if Atrio M5 owners could make a comparison and reviews with different headamps.
icon10.gif

Sep 29, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #1,800 of 2,359
Well, I can provide some impressions of the portable amps I've tried with the Atrio...

1) Qables iQube - neutral, naturally expansive soundstage, detailed without harshness, deep and powerful but controlled lows. Best portable amp I've heard. I wish I could afford one.

2) Headamp Pico - similar to the iQube, with slightly less expansive soundstage and weaker lows (not weak, just slightly weaker than the stellar iQube), but still remarkably neutral and a good pairing with the bass-heavy Atrio, especially given that it's about half the size of the iQube *AND* can contain a built-in 24-bit USB DAC. Great buy for increased portability

3) iBasso D1 with v2 opamps - haven't yet gotten to compare this with the Pico or iQube directly, but the sound signature is similar to both (from my memory at least). It's beastly (bigger than the iQube), but is the most flexible amp around (save for the far more expensive Headroom Micro Portable) given it's built-in Cirrus DAC chip and TOSLINK, USB, and line inputs. Paired with it's internal DAC, this can be a bit sterile with the Atrio, but when fed from the line-in by my Monica 2 DAC, it's just fluid and lush. The amp section alone is lovely, the rest is gravy. Just a shame it's so big and not terribly pretty. Good match with the Atrio, though, and I suspect the various D2 amps would be as well (just no TOSLINK, so useless to me).

4) Ray Samuels Tomahawk - My first portable amp, and a damn good one. While designed for IEMs, this was really more intended for use with brighter IEMs (especially the Shure E500, according to Ray's posts). The bass is deep to the point where it just borders on muddy with the Atrio. The soundstage is nice, but seems somewhat flat compared to the iBasso D1. Still a wonderful amp with very good sound and insane battery life, but not the best choice for Atrio users (the Pico would be better if aiming for a similar physical size). Still, you could do far worse...

5) Headroom Micro Amp - I tried both this and the Tomahawk with the wonderful Micro DAC back in 2006(?) and the Future Sonics EM3, the muddier grandparent of the Atrio. The Tomahawk was wonderfully revealing, clean, and powerful, while the Micro Amp sounded like a muddy mess. This might pair well with the harshly analytical headphones that Headroom champions (Etymotics ER-4, AKG K701), but it sounds awful with Future Sonics earphones. So due to poor synergy I do NOT recommend it, or the new Micro Portable, for use with the Atrio.

6) Mini3 - Hey, for about $100 it's a decent amp. Not nearly as good as the Tomahawk in any respect. Definitely a case of You Get What You Pay For here. Better than no amp at all, but you can do much better.

Now, I did try out a couple other amps, including the Lisa 3, but wasn't able to do as careful and controlled comparisons in order to get meaningful impressions. But in the end, my biggest recommendations for amps for Atrio owners would be the iQube or the Pico. Or both for different purposes, if you can afford it. The iQube is the best portable amp I've heard to date, and pairs perfectly with the Atrio. The Pico, while not QUITE matching the iQube as an amp, is still an absolutely stunning amp, and a far more versatile one given it's incredible size and potential for built-in DAC. I recommend both equally for use with the Atrio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back