Futuresonics Atrio M5
May 1, 2008 at 1:46 PM Post #1,471 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have both the Atrio M5 and the the D2, and I have never, EVER, felt a need for more bass. I listen to metal and trance, and the Atrios really take of themselves in the bass department. In fact, many people have suggested in the past that I use the D2 without any EQ settings and just Mach3Bass and BBE, which I've found works wonderfully and allows you experience the sound signature that Future Sonics intended for this IEM. I eventually added an amp (Predator) to my portable setup, and it just gets better and better.

I use the Atrio's every day, and yet I'm still awestruck by the deep bass tone and wide soundstage that this IEM provides. It's even harder to understand how a relatively inexpensive pair of IEMs can rival Shure's top IEM, the SE530. Regardless I had owned both, and sold the SE530s since I found myself reaching for the Atrio's far more often. Its mellowness in the high range makes a far more relaxing and enjoyable listening experience, thanks to its dynamic driver.

I wasn't talking about too little bass with the M5's, but about too little bass with D2 + Q-Jays. The M5's does seem to match up pretty well with the D2 according to what I read here.
But as dfkt said in the post I quoted, the D2 is a bit to bright to be used with the Q-Jays which don't have as much bass as the M5's.
Just wanted to confirm that, since I originally planned on getting the Q-Jays because everyone recommended them for more details.

But I'm glad so much people like the M5s in combination with the D2, since they are my #2 choice in a head to head race with the Q-Jays
smily_headphones1.gif

and the fact that they are 50€ cheaper is nice too^^

May 1, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #1,472 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimson117 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Guys! I'm a newbie here and I just want to ask for advice and suggestions.
I've been recently been hooked with IEMs. Currently I'm using a CX400 with my iPod Nano 3G and I'm still happy with it but I'm considering an upgrade. A friend of mine recommended Futuresonics Atrio M5 so I'm considering on getting one maybe 3 weeks from now.

Is the M5 still a good purchase now? My budget is just right for this by the way. How do you compare M5 with CX400? Do they have small or big difference?

Thanks in advance!

The difference is not just big, but HUGE. if you look through this thread alone, you'll see that these IEMs are often compared to the Shure's SE530s in its ability to produce great SQ.

May 1, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #1,473 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wasn't talking about too little bass with the M5's, but about too little bass with D2 + Q-Jays. The M5's does seem to match up pretty well with the D2 according to what I read here.
But as dfkt said in the post I quoted, the D2 is a bit to bright to be used with the Q-Jays which don't have as much bass as the M5's.
Just wanted to confirm that, since I originally planned on getting the Q-Jays because everyone recommended them for more details.

But I'm glad so much people like the M5s in combination with the D2, since they are my #2 choice in a head to head race with the Q-Jays
smily_headphones1.gif

and the fact that they are 50€ cheaper is nice too^^

I wouldn't recommend the Q-jays with the D2, just because the D2 itself is already considered quite cold, analytical, and detail-oriented. With the Q-jays, you'll likely experience moderate to severe amounts of sibilance, especially if you choose to use the EQ and JetEffects features of the D2, due to the overwhelming amount of detail. The Atrio's are darker and warmer in sound, so it balances out the D2 very nicely. They honestly provide me with more than enough detail for me in the mids and highs.

May 1, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #1,474 of 2,359
Quote:

Whoaa, pretty old stuff I'm digging out here, but why have a search function if no one uses it
biggrin.gif

I'm gonna buy the Cowon D2 soon, and I need some good IEMs for that. So after reading stuff for a day I now have to decide between Q-Jays and Atrios M5 (as many many MANY people).
I read that the Q-Jays have more detail than the Atrios and the Atrios more bass and more sound dampening.
Since details sound better to me than more bass I almost decided on the Q-Jays...
Would you really recommend the Atrios in the case of the D2 depending on its sound? Less Bass is already a drawback, but less bass from the player AND the earphones, I think that could really be too little.

I currently have some old Sony mdr-ex71, I think I can expect some improvement in sound quality?^^

I would REALLY recommend pairing a Cowon player with the Atrio instead of what may be considered a "more detailed" IEM.

The Atrio really isn't lacking in detail. What it's lacking is the harshness you will find in most IEMs. Cowon players tend to be rather bright and detailed on their own. The synergy would be MUCH better with the Atrio, which will calm and harshness in the highs and provide power to the lows. If I ever get the headphone jack fixed on my Cowon A2, I'll be happily bopping along with it again.

I've stated many times in this thread and others that Cowon players synergize especially well with the Atrio. Brighter 'phones are painful. Definitely go for the Atrio instead.

May 1, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #1,475 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference is not just big, but HUGE. if you look through this thread alone, you'll see that these IEMs are often compared to the Shure's SE530s in its ability to produce great SQ.

HUGE? NICE!!!
biggrin.gif
Now I'm so excited to buy this IEM. Thanks for that robojack.

May 1, 2008 at 3:30 PM Post #1,478 of 2,359
Quote:

Now that I'm at it, which would be the best foam tips for the M5/8?
And which are compatible at all?

Since I need to buy my Atrios in this shop, I can as well get some tips with it.

Here are the tips available

Any recommendations?

That's where I got my M5s. I got tips from ebay though as they were cheaper. In the end I got a pack of Shure Grey Soft Flex Sleeves and some Shure Black Foams (olives).

May 1, 2008 at 4:00 PM Post #1,479 of 2,359
Quote:

Now that I'm at it, which would be the best foam tips for the M5/8?
And which are compatible at all?

Since I need to buy my Atrios in this shop, I can as well get some tips with it.

Here are the tips available

Any recommendations?

I seem to be alone on this one, but I used Shure Yellow foamies (E3C, E4C lineup) and they are not only relatively cheap $2 a pair, but very comfy and they fit the Atrios. I felt the olives were too mushy, and the short Complys, while good, maybe a bit too expensive. Anyway, I tried the Shures and they worked for me. They are ugly, granted. But perfect fit for my ears and the Atrios. In fact, I still use them with the Sleeks, which replaced the M45s in my collection.

Edit: Of the tips listed on your link, the only ones that will work with the Atrios are the Complys. The Shure tips listed there will not fit the M5s/M8s (the sound tube holes are much too big). Tips that fit the atrios are the olives, Shure soft flex (gray), Shure yellow foamies (E3C, etc.) and Comply (not the T400, which are for canalphones with large sound tubes, but the P400 tips).

Hope this helps. I used most all tips possible with the Atrios, and settled on the Shure yellow before I sold them.

May 1, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #1,481 of 2,359
Quote:

So, I'm kinda confused but, I think after some reading I got it:

Shure grey soft flex sleeves

Shure Olives

and the Yellow Foamies

Did I get these right? I thought Olives was the official name
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, world wide free shipping on the ebayshop is nice, but what about the tips that come with the M5/8?
Are the Shure replacements really noticeabely better?

Those first 2 are the ones I ordered. I found the stock bi-flanges pretty unbearable to be honest. They were way too long for the depth of my ear canal so I couldn't get a good seal at all. That's why I opted for the shorter Shure silicon tips and foamies.

May 1, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #1,482 of 2,359
Bingo! All three work with the Atrios. Olives isn't the official name, and there is much confusion because the soft flex tips look more live olives, but aren't black.

The FS foamies aren't bad (regular size as the smalls are really small). But they aren't very durable, and not as "stout" as either Comply or Shure foamies.

Quote:

So, I'm kinda confused but, I think after some reading I got it:

Shure grey soft flex sleeves

Shure Olives

and the Yellow Foamies

Did I get these right? I thought Olives was the official name
smily_headphones1.gif

Hmm, world wide free shipping on the ebayshop is nice, but what about the tips that come with the M5/8?
Are the Shure replacements really noticeabely better?

May 1, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #1,483 of 2,359
Just received mine. Two quick questions.
1. How do they go on ? Cable down or up (like my Shure E4Cs).
2. My black Shure olives seem to be a much looser fit on the Atrios. Is this normal ? (a bit worried about putting them in my ears and the Atrios come out san olives !!!)

May 1, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #1,485 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received mine. Two quick questions.
1. How do they go on ? Cable down or up (like my Shure E4Cs).
2. My black Shure olives seem to be a much looser fit on the Atrios. Is this normal ? (a bit worried about putting them in my ears and the Atrios come out san olives !!!)

There's a couple photos in this long-ass thread. I wear them up, with the memory wire bent back around my ears. I had tried wearing them down when I first got them but they wouldn't keep a good seal. Wearing them up both provides a better seal and a better angle into the ear canal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back