Futuresonics Atrio M5
Apr 11, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #1,426 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mansize_tissue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you, dfkt. Do you know what tips are being used there (not sure if that's your own photograph or not)? With the stock bi-flanges, my M5s don't insert anywhere near that far and the seal is really poor.

I've received my new M5s yesterday and I'm still experimenting with the supplied tips, and also which way is best to insert them (cable over-ear, or cable hanging). At the moment I'm using the large supplied foam tips, with the cable hanging down. The insertion is a bit of an art form, eh? Compared to my now-dead MylarOne XBs w/ medium UE tips which the M5s have replaced.

Still, the sound thus far is
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #1,427 of 2,359
Until my Shure Olives arrive, I'm now using a completely different style of tips for these.

I put the small bi-flanges on backwards, and then slide the silicone tips from my old Creative EP-630s over the rubber tube-shaft and the largest flange. Now I actually have a seal with these I'm beginning to appreciate the sound more. It's really completely changed the sound signature though.

Apr 11, 2008 at 2:16 PM Post #1,429 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, you sure you don't have large canals? or at least deep canals? amazing. dfkt, you have surprised me yet again... i found them harder than most iem to situate but... oh yes and they don't work with the shure triflange at all for me - too bad.

Yeah, it's all quite weird. The Shure triflanges don't work for me either - they literally "tickle" my eardrum. However, I tried all three sizes of the Shure Olives, and the smallest ones fit the best for me, better than the medium and large ones. It's a VERY personal thing, all these sizes, dimensions, flange count, material... I don't think anyone can give somebody else real solid advice, since it's so different even for me alone, with all these different tips. (Or my ears are just very weird!
wink.gif
)

I recently got some Comply tips to try, but they're pretty similar to the Shure Olives, except the length. Not sure yet, I didn't try them for long.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #1,430 of 2,359
I have to agree that the bi-flanges are little tougher to use than other bi-flanges I've used in the past (ie: Ultimate Ears bi-flanges, which are a dream to use in comparison).

But what I do, and it works pretty well, is the standard method of inserting earplugs of any kind. 1. Using your hand opposite of your ear (left ear, use your right hand), grab the top of your ear and gently pull upwards, and open your mouth as if to say 'ahh' (this will help expand your ear canal) 2. While holding your ear with one hand, use the other to slide in the bi-flange. Keep pushing until you feel a gentle pop (flanges anchoring to the inside of your ear), or when you feel sound being cut off, and 3. Let go of your ear and close your mouth. You should feel no pressure in your ear, if so then you've probably used too large of an eartip size.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #1,431 of 2,359
Just got my M8's today, and I'm burning them in with some pink noise and some frequency sweeps. I tried them out of the box, and they're pretty good, but a bit dark sounding. We'll see. The bass is pretty intense, but sort of unfocused right now.

These are my first IEM's, and it's going to take some getting used to. I'm a bit aggravated about the earpiece business. It's a lot trickier than I thought it would be. I think that the medium bi-flanges are right, but they aren't as comfy as I hoped they'd be. Also, this is maybe not the best time to be trying them out, as I've been sort of stuffy and my right ear has been popping (actually woke me last night!). DSon't know if I'm getting sick or if it's allergies or what. But it's annoying. So, I'll give it some time before I make a final judgment. So far, I'm not quite as thrilled as I hoped I'd be.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #1,432 of 2,359
Arg.... I tried to post but it got lost somehow....

Anyhow, just got my M8's and I'm going to reserve judgment until 1.) they are more burned in, and 2.) my right ear stops popping. I just got this sinus congestion thing (maybe allergies), and my ear is really uncomfortable, like there's water in it or something. Not the best way to try out your new IEM's. Also, I'm pretty frustrated by the earpieces and getting a good fit... These are my first IEM's, so I guess I'll just experiment. Seems like the medium bi-flanges are about right, but not very comfy. The larges are way too large, the smalls seem too small. Anyhow...I'm reserving judgment.

Apr 11, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #1,433 of 2,359
Definitely wait until they're burned in, and certainly do not pass any kind of judgment if you're sick and have stuffed up ears. I also found them a bit underwhelming when I first got them, but after after 60 hours of burning, it's like someone swapped my Atrio's overnight! The improvement was that drastic, and once you find the right fit (whether it be with the biflanges or the large variety of Shure or Comply tips/foamies available), I think you'll be very happy.

Apr 16, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #1,435 of 2,359
Much apologies if this is an irritance, as im sure it must of been asked and answered before, but i have trawled much of this enormous thread and couldnt find my anwser so........ the m5 and m8, what in the bleedin hell is the differance between the models, if any?
tongue.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #1,436 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Much apologies if this is an irritance, as im sure it must of been asked and answered before, but i have trawled much of this enormous thread and couldnt find my anwser so........ the m5 and m8, what in the bleedin hell is the differance between the models, if any?
tongue.gif

Color

Apr 16, 2008 at 5:21 PM Post #1,437 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Color

Thats all? Ah well you cleared that up so cheers!

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:14 PM Post #1,438 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by BloodSugar00 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats all? Ah well you cleared that up so cheers!

Yea, I think they used to be marketed as studio and live performance kits that came with different accessories but they've merged them. The only difference now is that the M8 is uglier but available
biggrin.gif

Apr 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #1,439 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yea, I think they used to be marketed as studio and live performance kits that came with different accessories but they've merged them. The only difference now is that the M8 is uglier but available
biggrin.gif

Haha! Well I'm in the market for my first IEM and the thorough person I am I've been slowly familiarising myself with and digesting the main bulk of wots currently on offer! Without having ever tried iems nor listened to any models- admittedly what will really determine whether i like a phone!- I have slowly been formulating my ideas about what sound signature I want from my headphones. Not sure if its the more bass weighted atrios yet but at least the m5 and m8 are pretty much identical giving me one less selection headache!!!!

Apr 16, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #1,440 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got my M8's today, and I'm burning them in with some pink noise and some frequency sweeps. I tried them out of the box, and they're pretty good, but a bit dark sounding. We'll see. The bass is pretty intense, but sort of unfocused right now.

These are my first IEM's, and it's going to take some getting used to. I'm a bit aggravated about the earpiece business. It's a lot trickier than I thought it would be. I think that the medium bi-flanges are right, but they aren't as comfy as I hoped they'd be. Also, this is maybe not the best time to be trying them out, as I've been sort of stuffy and my right ear has been popping (actually woke me last night!). DSon't know if I'm getting sick or if it's allergies or what. But it's annoying. So, I'll give it some time before I make a final judgment. So far, I'm not quite as thrilled as I hoped I'd be.

I used Shure yellow foamies with my Atrios (when I owned them) and they were a perfect fit for me. Ugly, yes. Comfy, yes. About $2 a pair on ebay. For the E3C, E4C and E5c Shures. Complys also also work. I could never get used to the flanges and the foamies are not durable enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back