Futuresonics Atrio M5
Jan 10, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #1,126 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How are the Ety foams different from the FS foams (aside from color)? Very curious, as I need new foamies SOON.

Interesting also to read that you're not crazy about the sound with the SofterWear sleeves. I've been considering them (but haven't been able to afford them). How is the sound different with them as opposed to the foamies?

Well, first, to me the main difference is the Ety foamies are a little studier-feeling (the foam seems a little stiffer, but still comfy), and the tubes also seem studier. Also, being black, they match the M5s much better (and no earwax ugliness on the sleeves).

If you decide to stick with the FS foamies, I will sell you some at a small discount. I have the larger of the two sizes. I just bought two orders worth from FS. PM me if you are interested.

As for the FS custom sleeves, for one, they have always sort of bugged me for some reason (not even sure why). I mean, they are custom made for my ears, but they are so big and clunky, and the Atrios sort of stick out of them too far. The EM3s were a neater fit, as you would imagine since they are so small.

But even more than the form factor, the sound from the customs really is drained of the smooth, silky bass that is the Atrio trademark. They seem thing using the custom sleeves. Of course, the end of the sound tubes on the Atrios only reach halfway into the custom sleeves, so I think you get a closer seal with the foamies.

Just can't explain it very well, but I just don't like the way the Atrios sound with the customs. Remember, these sleeves are 3-4 years old, so they may not really be a match with the M5s. In fact, the M5s seem to slip out of the holes rather easily, though the EM3 tubes seemed to be about the same size.

Anyway, hope that helps. But I do recommend the Ety foamies (thanks to Trager). If I am going to pay for custom sleeves, next time I will go all the way and get custom phones (FreQs or Livewires anyone)?

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #1,127 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did about 40 hours of my burn-in cycle (a random tone in each octave for 2 seconds, from 20 Hz to 20 kHz followed by 30 seconds of pink noise) before starting to just use them. Some recommend more, I figure that's plenty of time to get the bulk of pink noise burn-in done. I like interspersing tones with the pink noise because while pink noise has the right frequency domain characteristics, I don't think a constant pink noise signal necessarily has the correct time domain characteristics. More specifically, the transition between tones in my burn-in cycle is a better representation of some audio transients than you can get using a constant pink noise signal.

(Note: I am an engineer, and this is what I do. I have not worked out the math to prove my assertion, and it is entirely possible that I'm totally and utterly wrong. I don't think so, however.)

I was running just pink noise for the 1st 10 hours. Then I got to thinking that what's the point if no low tones are present? It's a 1 driver design, and the driver needs more than the frequencies pink noise supplies. Then I switched to a loop of Slo Mello Bass by Bass Outlaws off the Illegal Bass cd. That ought to get the driver to movin'/break in.

I've maybe listened to 5 songs, but I wont really do any true judgement of them until they are finished breaking in (about 100 or more hours by 7pm Saturday night). Plus I have an ear infection in my right ear currently.

I used the Shure medium Foamies for what little listening I did and it worked fine for me.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:35 PM Post #1,128 of 2,359
PM sent, and thanks for the info, tstarn06.

Out of curiosity, how is the sound difference between foamies and custom plugs with the EM3? I actually still have the EM3 (gave them to my wife after I got the Atrio). And maybe if the sound differences aren't so severe with the EM3, then maybe it *IS* just that your older customs aren't as good a fit with the Atrio.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #1,129 of 2,359
i removed the plastic tube from the foamies and left that on the stem and put the finefit audio technica rubber sleeves i use with denon c700 on the atrio - it sounds the same as the shure olives but does not isolate quite as well but quite well and it very easy to insert and take out - about 1/5 of the time. great!

there is no comparison - the denon are good, but for me, they do not offer the quality other than mid echoes over the atrio.

Jan 11, 2008 at 3:35 PM Post #1,130 of 2,359
Can you tell me what you think the durability will be of the Ety foamies, versus the FS foamies? While I was ok with the FS foamies, they certainly did not have the lifespan that I am experiencing with Shure olives. If the Ety foamies have similar lifespan, then I would certainly like to try them to hear if there is a sound upgrade, or feel if there is a comfort upgrade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Took up your advice on the Ety gray foamies (had a pair that came with my 716s), and wow, they really match up well with the M5s. And I just bought a couple bags of the FS foamies. Oh well, guess I am set for tips. But next time, I'll buy the Etys. Very snug, not too bulky. I found the Shure olives too loose feeling, like they were always ready to fall out.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #1,131 of 2,359
Can't tell you yet, maybe Trager can, since he has used the Ety foamies. Just the color alone is worth it to me, but the Ety foamies do seem a little more stiff, which should mean longer lasting, no? But not sure.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #1,132 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PM sent, and thanks for the info, tstarn06.

Out of curiosity, how is the sound difference between foamies and custom plugs with the EM3? I actually still have the EM3 (gave them to my wife after I got the Atrio). And maybe if the sound differences aren't so severe with the EM3, then maybe it *IS* just that your older customs aren't as good a fit with the Atrio.

Boy, that is ancient history for me. I sold the EM3s for $25 a year ago. Seems I liked the custom sleeves more than the foamies, but it could have been the placebo effect, since I spent so damn much for the customers. Catch my drift? I just can't say. But I would never buy another pair of custom sleeves, only custom phones. The custom sleeves cost as much as some of the newer custom phones (FreQ, LiveWires). Then again, I might never buy custom headphones unless I can afford the real deal, from FS or UE, etc.

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:15 PM Post #1,133 of 2,359
Austin: Pink noise does include equal energy in the low tones as it does in the highs. That's the definition of pink noise, actually (from a frequency response perspective). For my burn-in, I use a 20 Hz to 20 kHz pink noise signal.

Richdel: Yes, I think the Ety foamies are quite a bit more durable than the FS ones. They aren't as durable as the Shure olives, but the sound is quite a bit better, IMO. The Ety and FS foamies open up the mids and highs, whereas the Shures don't help the highs very much to my ears.

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #1,135 of 2,359
Don't forget Comply foamies -- I tried the Comply regulars on my M5's the last time I was on an airplane, and they worked well (a bit more comfortable for me than the Shures, and they're "grippier," staying put very well). I also like the Future Sonics foamies, but I can't see them lasting very long in day-to-day use.

Jan 11, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #1,136 of 2,359
No doubt, the Complys also a good option. Very sturdy. I tend to like the shorts more than the regulars (which are a bit too thick for my ears), when I use the AL 716s. They also make a slim version, which I might try out since they are longer and go deeper into the ear than the shorts. These might work on both the ALs and the M5s, which would be great - a single foam sleeve solution.

Jan 13, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #1,137 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Austin: Pink noise does include equal energy in the low tones as it does in the highs. That's the definition of pink noise, actually (from a frequency response perspective). For my burn-in, I use a 20 Hz to 20 kHz pink noise signal.

The free pink noise file I found had NO bass whatsoever. And it's too late now anyway.
frown.gif

I just ran them thru a 100 hour break-in. I listened to maybe 5 songs before setting up the break-in loop. I can't wait to hear the difference. Pre-break-in they were way too laid-back in the higher frequencies, but totally (from top to bottom-frequencies) more percise than my Kramer & own modded, broken in 'Mallows (foam inner filter in place of paper filter, Shure Foamies, Dynamat 1/4" square exterior treatment).

Jan 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #1,138 of 2,359
Tryin to get together a collective resource on the different tips for the M5. My first thread on this topic got some responses, but they weren't quite what I was lookin for. My new thread has a more accurate title and better organizes the info/opinions of those who care to share.

Rank, Compare and Contrast different tips for the Atrio M5

All help is welcome and appreciated, even if you've only tried one set different than the stock tips.
Thanks

Jan 14, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #1,139 of 2,359
Well, after hearing all the great things about the M5, I decided to buy a pair as a backup to my UM2s. Unfortunately, the place I ordered them from was temporarily out of stock so I will have to wait maybe a week or so. How much burn-in time do you recommend? Will they see improvement with an amp (my portable amp is an RSA Hornet)? [Sorry if this is already answered in this thread, I am too busy to read through all of it right now].

Users who are viewing this thread

Back