Futuresonics Atrio M5
Aug 27, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #736 of 2,359
I'm looking to buy the M8s and the super fi pro 5s next week and will do a head to head comparison in a span of 2 weeks. Whichever sounds good to me is the keeper and the other one has to go. I know it'll cost me some cash but that's the only way I can solve my dilemma.

btw, does anyone know on how long roaddog ship to NYC?

Aug 27, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #738 of 2,359
I would like to start by thanking everyone who has answered my questions and comments. Here is my problem, With good recordings the atrios work fantastic, but when I listen to some live recordings (audience) the bass is just to heavy. This is not the fault of the atrios, other lower quality earpuds do the same. So, what can I use to get good sound but with less bass, I am currently using the FS foamies and have some sure olives coming. I tried the sleeves and they helped but with a loss of sound quality. I keep hearing the olives give more bass so should I try the complys or the shure soft flex sleeves? Can I get less bass with same sound quality as the foamies? Once again thanks for the help.

ps I have a meizu with the bass EQed all the way down, the rest of the recording is clear and detailed.

Aug 27, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #739 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which foamies are you talking about? The Olives? If those are what you refer to, yes, they fit.

Yeah, I'm talking about the shure small olive foamies. I have the old ones, and they are very loose. So can I take that as a confirmation that Shure small olive foamies fit? I'm all ready to order them
icon10.gif

Aug 28, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #741 of 2,359
Ok... I've finally finished reading ALL 37 pages... interesting read...99% positive comments LOL and looks like I'm convinced, I'm going to take the plunge!

Now since everyone is raving about these Shure black olive foamies, I think I'll try them as well. I use medium and large Shure E2c foamies, should I get the medium or large Shure black olives?

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #742 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok... I've finally finished reading ALL 37 pages... interesting read...99% positive comments LOL and looks like I'm convinced, I'm going to take the plunge!

Now since everyone is raving about these Shure black olive foamies, I think I'll try them as well. I use medium and large Shure E2c foamies, should I get the medium or large Shure black olives?

I think that is the safest bet. From what I've gathered the mediums are the closest to other mediums. The larges are a bit larger than other larges, & the small olives are a bit smaller than others. Hope that helps.

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #743 of 2,359
as a new owner of the M5's.. I have to recommend them wholeheartedly. They're the sound signature I was looking for, and thought I had with the E4's.
Very detailed and impactful bass. They give you that feeling of vibration throughout the rest of your body, but they remain in the background where they belong and set a good foundation for the rest of the music. Mids are present, neither buried nor overwhelming (which the Shure E4s' were) and the treble is indeed not sparkly, but gets the job done in terms of detail and non-fatigue-inducing. I've been listening to my pair for the past 2 hours and I have stuff to do, but can't make myself get off my chair!!

Comments on these phones are spot on. They aren't the most detailed phones compared to the dynamic armatures, but what they get right is the smoothness and the actual experience of listening. It's not to say they aren't detailed at all; they're about 80% of what the E4s had, and it's a conservative estimate. It's like being immersed in the music as opposed to having it shoved down your throat like other phones do.

For those who didn't get a chance to find this in a different thread. One of the users around here spoke with a music professional, and he did prefer these phones for on-stage use over more expensive IEMs because of their lack of fatigue.

But in short, I'd say that while $130 is a stretch for some people to pay, I'd say this phone would please the sonic tastes of many. So get in on this bandwagon!!

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #744 of 2,359
Ok great news, I found this store selling the black olive foamies that's near my place and they have the Yuin line as well. How do they compare to the M5s, especially the PK1 unamped and PK2 unamped...

Aug 28, 2007 at 7:17 AM Post #745 of 2,359
Remember, one's an in-ear, and the other is a non-isolating earbud (hanging around on the outskirts of your ear canal). I haven't heard the highly regarded Yuins, but if you'll be listening in a variety of environments -- some of them noisy -- you might want to keep that in mind when deciding.

By the way -- good find on the store!

Aug 28, 2007 at 10:49 AM Post #746 of 2,359
LOL thanks, well the thing is I'll be using these while I sleep and the Yuins while I'm outside since they're easier to take in and out.

I just wanted to know how they compare to each other.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #747 of 2,359
LOL! You want to use open earbuds for noisy environments and the ultra-isolating Atrios for sleeping? Furthermore, the Atrios aren't really comfortable for sleeping since they're quite big and have that memory wire. (I use V-Moda Vibes or MylarOne XB's for sleeping...)

Aug 28, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #748 of 2,359
LOL ya, I know it's weird, but I prefer to hear stuff outside (cars, people talking) and taking out an IEM and putting it back in afterwards everytime someone is talking to me is annoying. While I prefer to block out the noise from the roads outside during I sleep.

So will the PK2s be good for that purpose? How do they compare to the M5s?

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #749 of 2,359
Pk2s much more mid-focused, less bass (more of a Grado sound). M5s, as you know, are all about the bass (with decent highs and mids, though some disagree about the latter. The PK2s share one thing with the M5s: No need for an amp.

Aug 28, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #750 of 2,359
That's good since the only amp I have is a budget PA2V2 LOL I was going to get the PK1s but don't really want to carry an amp and it's too expensive if it get the PK1s + amp + Atrio M5 LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back