Futuresonics Atrio M5
Jun 19, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #1,606 of 2,359
Dude, the EeePC soundcard is your weak link there, followed by the Mini3. A Cryo cable with that setup is like using racing engine spark plugs in a Yugo! :p

Use a Pico with the USB DAC and you'll get far better synergy. Maybe a Predator, though I haven't tried that. The Pico is a superb match with the Atrio (tighter lows, cleaner highs and mids). Honestly, I've heard a Mini3, and I wasn't overly impressed. Good for the price, but definitely the second weakest link in your chain, apart from a likely weak sound card on a $400 laptop.
wink.gif

And yes, while the Pico and Predator a significantly more expensive than a Mini3, if you can afford a K701, an HD650, *AND* a Benchmark DAC1, you should have no problem springing for something like a Pico. I'd recommend the iBasso D1 for cost/performance, but they've been discontinued.

I would say that the HD650 would be far more to my liking with just about any rig than the K701, but I do NOT like an analytical sound. The Atrio is probably NOT a good choice for you if that's the kind of sound you prefer (can't believe I just typed that!). The Atrio is intentionally more musical, to give more of a "live" feel to the music (read their website, they pretty much state this outright). I must say, bootlegs are startlingly realistic with the Atrio, but that's probably the point. *shrug*

So yeah, ditch that Mini3 and get yourself a Pico! If that doesn't help, the Atrio really just might not be for you. *boggles*
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #1,607 of 2,359
I have heard the Pico and Predator plus I reviewed them both...I would not buy them before buying another desktop amp (or actually another headphone). I would probably choose the Predator. I don't find the Mini^3 to be excessively good, i just made it for fun - it's better than straight out of the EEE PC for sure and the BSG cmoy i was playing with. I have other USB sound solutions such as the OPUS USB receiver and Edirol EX1.

I made an Opus DAC a while back, but it's too dark for my taste. Going back to my DAC1 after a few months made me realize just how dark it really is. I think it has a lot to do with the USB and reclocker adding their BurrBrown influence though; i dont recall the Pico (WM8740 based) being that dark. At the same time, i was unimpressed by the Pico's congestion or compressed soundstage which the Opus didnt have.

As for the CyroCable, it was DIY. The treated silver cable is like $5 a foot
eek.gif
. On top of that, it is solid core and difficult to work with as an interconnect. Hahha definitely racing plugs on a pinto.

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #1,608 of 2,359
FYI, the Predator matches wonderfully with my Atrio M5, so no need to have any doubts about that.
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #1,609 of 2,359
meant to say I've tried it, but not extensively with the M5 as with cans. It Should be be a good match with the RSA house sound which i would describe as (spread out, a little bit on the lean side with a lot of punch, and airy). Might sound a little bit dry.

Jun 19, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #1,610 of 2,359
I wouldn't say that Pico vs. Opus is a very fair comparison. One of the main reasons I suggested it is that it's a *TINY* USB DAC & headphone amp combo, rather than a stand-alone DAC like the Opus. The compactness of the Pico or Predator would make either of them a good match with the EeePC, and I found the analytical sound of the Pico matched nicely with the Atrio. You want to lug and Opus and an amp with you to Starbucks to get
better sound from an Eee, good luck to you! :p

Hell, my iBasso D1 is pretty bulky for even coffee shop use, and it's a LOT more transportable than my Monica 2 and Tomahawk (plus, the D1 amp sounds better than the Tomahawk, though the Toma is still wonderful for it's size and battery life).

Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a netbook. I can only dream... In the meantime I have to make due with my 17" HP laptop with 24-bit sound card and optical out to my D1.
wink.gif

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #1,612 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by piotrek1500 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Also it's worth to mention that other then no memory wire new batch of m5's have changed frequency response to: 18 Hz - 20,000 Hz

Huh. What was the old frequency response listed as?

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #1,613 of 2,359
The Opus DAC is a fairly simple design based completely around that WM chip. Aside from the dedicated regulated powersupply, dual mono mode, and adjustable modes i would probably that the Pico is a miniaturized twin. I am not fond of the Burrbrown signature with my setup = Senns. I think the Pico uses AD chips in the upsamper section (not sure about USB section). I am sure the potential in the Pico's DAC is very limited by the amp section.

I also think the Pico or Opus as FAR from analytical compared to a DAC1 (i Like the analytical sound signature obviously). The Opus definitely reminds me of Ultrasone signature (wont elaborate on this)...it's pretty dark probably a 2.5/10; 5 being neutral. The Pico had a lush, warm signature which masks the inherent polar lows and highs (people describe it as "extension" in reviews, but i feel it's more like emphasis at the extreme frequencies).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Packgrog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't say that Pico vs. Opus is a very fair comparison. One of the main reasons I suggested it is that it's a *TINY* USB DAC & headphone amp combo, rather than a stand-alone DAC like the Opus. The compactness of the Pico or Predator would make either of them a good match with the EeePC, and I found the analytical sound of the Pico matched nicely with the Atrio. You want to lug and Opus and an amp with you to Starbucks to get
better sound from an Eee, good luck to you! :p

Jul 14, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #1,615 of 2,359
For the Atrio fans and owners...

Can you please compare the M5 with the SA6, the Shure SE310/420, and the Ety ER4P, in terms of SOUND ISOLATION?

Jul 15, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #1,618 of 2,359
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4saken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Off other people or from eBay. I don't think there is a cheaper place (maybe Amazon has them).

Hmm... does Road Dog still carry them? Can't see Future Sonics listed on his site, and only one pair on eBay (not from him). I've read that people have gotten them for $140 from him, and they're $180 + shipping everywhere else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back