Future Source: Digital??
Feb 25, 2008 at 3:09 AM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ech0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody posted a build (jukebox) w/touch screen in the "Post Pics of Your Build" thread within the last week or so and it was cool.
biggrin.gif

As far as pc cases go nmediaPC makes some nice cases for multimedia.

NMEDIAPC.com

Oh, those look nice! Thanks!

Feb 25, 2008 at 9:12 AM Post #17 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that's indeed right. But that's also what I meant when I said that my options were probably too ''commercial''.
Things you're looking for are not that commercial, at least not here in the netherlands.

Yeah, you're right and thanx for sharing those more "commercial" products. Now I know there's a market growing and more to come as well probably
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

I just want to say that Harman/Kardon (which is an audio dedicated brand) is probably coming with a server/media center-kinda thing.
Maybe that's more audio orientated and it sure has very decent audio components.
greetz

Now that is more interesting indeed. Looking forward to what they have to offer in the future.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cambridge Azur 640H Music Server
Maybe this could interest you as well?

That is what I'm looking for. Thanx for sharing
smily_headphones1.gif
but the harddrive is too small with its 160GB. It's supposed to contain all my music in the future and with 160GB I will be finished quickly.

Feb 25, 2008 at 10:02 AM Post #18 of 29
Contrastique... note the inclusion of 2 rear USB2.0 ports on the Cambridge Audio Azur 640H. I am pretty sure one could expand the storage capacity of the unit by adding external USB hard drives or even NAS devices.

As a matter of fact...

Azur 640H FAQ on Storage Capacity

Note the last sentence about compatible USB drives. Also note... USB hard drives are getting cheaper by the day.

Feb 25, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #19 of 29
Well, contrastique,

This is what I meant with the Harman/Kardon.

I believe that this is the old model, and that a new one is about to be released. But officially I think I'm not supposed to know that info (hehehehe).....check the link.

It has 250GB standard (the old one) but you can hook it up to a 1TB external HDD.
This model supports WMA, MPEG and LinearPCM. So there is a lossless codec. I hope the new one has better codec options.

harman/kardon

Harman/Kardon has very nice audio equipment and SQ is top notch!

I hope this is more helpfull
smily_headphones1.gif
And I'll let you know when I know more about possible future products!

greetz

Feb 25, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #21 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by InSides /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Contrastique... note the inclusion of 2 rear USB2.0 ports on the Cambridge Audio Azur 640H. I am pretty sure one could expand the storage capacity of the unit by adding external USB hard drives or even NAS devices.

As a matter of fact...

Azur 640H FAQ on Storage Capacity

Note the last sentence about compatible USB drives. Also note... USB hard drives are getting cheaper by the day.

That is indeed very handy and it looks good. However, I don't want to go through the hassle of having attached 2 harddisks. It will be mostly used while I'm working and I do that at the eating table. Don't want to have a setup which has to be extended with 2 more harddrives...I know..I am kind of a demanding person haha but thank you for looking up that possibility. It would be loads cheaper than the Olive though.
When I will finally buy such a thing I just want it to be handy, all in one and price will be of less importance.

@ Rico:
That looks nice. Harddrive is too small though so I'm looking forward to their new model! Hope they will indeed support more codecs than that. Looks very windows-orientated to me. Thanx for sharing and for willing to keep me posted
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 7:48 PM Post #22 of 29
no problem!

I don't think it's that windows orientated, more windows minded, so to speak. 80% of all computers or something in that range are on windows and in that regard it's no stupid move. It's understandable.

Only thing is that it probably won't support ALAC or AIFF, because I don't see them taking contracts with both Microsoft and Apple. FLAC could always be an option though, would be great but Big companies rarely use these kinda codecs, unfortunately.

So it will probably not be what you're looking for, but it is probably one of the best commercial products in this range and your searchfield.
So always smart to keep in mind I think.....

It will be a though job to re-rip all your CD's tou WAV on the machine, but there's always some kind of downside....

Those other options that were mentioned look like very good systems!!!

these things are just not for me, I'm a bit old skool I guess. Normal CD player or turntable and big amplifiers.......that's the way I like it.

Ohh yeah, and Stereo all the way!!!! (or binaural when on headphones)

greetz!

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

I don't think it's that windows orientated, more windows minded, so to speak. 80% of all computers or something in that range are on windows and in that regard it's no stupid move. It's understandable.

Maybe not as understandable for a Mac person like Contrastique (and myself).
wink.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe not as understandable for a Mac person like Contrastique (and myself).
wink.gif

Understandable..yes. Acceptable...hardly.

LOL
biggrin.gif

Feb 25, 2008 at 10:08 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Merely speculating here but I would love to have a digital player as a dedicated source. Something with a lcd-screen, controls, remote and such but with the size of a cdplayer. With a harddrive like real big as in 1TB.
Any comments? Pros and cons?

I'm planning on doing something similar on the cheap-ish, use an Apple TV with the hacks from Apple TV Hacks
(not affiliated)
to use my music storage server which can house multi terabytes and is in another room for quiet.
The hacked apple tv has remote, access to usb drives, will play different codecs once hacked (software) and looks pretty/simple enough for the girlfriend to use (no offense ladies but in this case it's the truth). As a bonus it's small, has video outputs for monitors and tvs and has optical out for an external DAC
I believe you can train the Logitech remotes to run it also, if you need/want a fancy remote. There's a couple videos on youtube to view in use software hacked apple tvs.

Feb 25, 2008 at 11:50 PM Post #26 of 29
wel,

I'm a Mac user too, so I'm not happy with this either. But it's just basic economics to know that you'll aim at the biggest market to throw your products at. Very simple theory.

But I didn't say that you can't use it at all with a Mac. You prbably can, Macs haf WIFI too... But I think the Software will probably be windows only. That's what I actually meant with ''windows minded''.

But indeed, no love for us Mac users from harman/Kardon so far...

greetz!

Feb 26, 2008 at 12:13 AM Post #27 of 29
I'm in the process of doing something similar with the Apple TV. For audio, I'll have it serve ALAC through a Benchmark DAC1. I'll tie it in with a Linux-based server and the MacBook. I'll drop 3-4 750GB drives into the server and use it for video, as well. I like this solution because I can add drive space whenever I want and upgrade the DAC without having to throw out the rest.

Feb 26, 2008 at 3:56 PM Post #29 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by rederanged /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you have a few bucks to burn, McIntosh can help take it off your hands:

McIntosh

Nice!
Did not know McIntosh made such a device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back