Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
Apr 23, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #676 of 1,216

Quote:
So how do these compare to these VSonic GR06/GR07 and the Sony MDR-EX600 in terms of the bass department ?

Also will any of the IEM's above will look like an upgrade to the V-Moda M80's that i currently have.

haven't heard either but two words for Atrio Pros low end (besides the fact they sound REALLY good all around) I mean seriously good... all the reviewers who have heard 100's of iem such as joker say the low end is top ten out of ALL the iem ... 

oh yeah , two words ...

THEY BUMP

Apr 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #677 of 1,216

Quote:

How old is your pair already?

I wondered about the curvature, too. It actually makes sense inside the ear, as it follows its outward shape; but it stops making sense where the cable goes out, as it (the cable) has to go in the reverse direction. 

Mine are about a year and a half old. I totally agree with your assessment. It would have made more sense to have an S-shaped curve for the strain relief, so it bends outwards from the ear canal, and then inwards again so as to lead the cable over the ear. I also live in Singapore, which is hot and humid, so that might have something to do with the strain relief giving up the ghost prematurely. 

It would be really awesome if they revamped the Atrios to be compatible with Westone connectors, opening up a vast range of possibilities. I love the braided cables that come with most CIEMs because of how light they are, the memory wire, and the lack of microphonics, but sadly these won't work with the Atrios.

Quote:
I jumped the gun a little. After doing a few more comparisons to the FX700, UM3x, and FXT90 I don't feel the atrio's can keep up with the FX700 and UM3x. But to be fair, the other 3 seem to do fine at around  volume level -20 to -15 on a clip-zip, where the atrio's need to be cranked all the way up to -7 to feel 'full'. I don't have an amp anymore.... but my guess is they'd improve quite a bit with a solid amp.

The Atrios seem to need to be driven a little harder. I'm not using an amp either, but I noticed that with the Triple-Fi, my iPhone's volume is at 50%, while with the Atrios, I have to push it one notch up from 50%.

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #679 of 1,216

Quote:

Did you mistake microphonics for lack of isolation by accident?

ahh oops i ment microphnics but then i jumped to islolation (will edit it lol) thx for that

Apr 23, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #680 of 1,216
Any of you guys have some driver flex issues.. My new pair has some poping happening on the right side. I am wondering if I should send mine back.. It don't bother me too much but kinda sucks I gotta hear poping all the time.

Apr 23, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #681 of 1,216

Quote:
^ I think the reason behind where it is pointing is because the Mg7's are supposed to be over-the-ear earphones.
I THINK, I have no idea if my claim is right or wrong.

Have a look at this picture. Maybe it'll clear things up about my points on the curvature being strangely designed.

Pardon the blurriness. Notice how the strain relief is designed to curve outwards from the ear canal area, towards the upper left corner, in the case of this picture.

Now observe the point where the cable leaves the strain relief. It does so against the natural curvature of the strain relief, towards the top right. This IMHO is a design flaw and it is the main reason for the deterioration of the strain relief in my Atrios. Not sure if anyone else faces this...

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:21 AM Post #683 of 1,216

Quote:
Pardon the blurriness. Notice how the strain relief is designed to curve outwards from the ear canal area, towards the upper left corner, in the case of this picture.

Now observe the point where the cable leaves the strain relief. It does so against the natural curvature of the strain relief, towards the top right. This IMHO is a design flaw and it is the main reason for the deterioration of the strain relief in my Atrios. Not sure if anyone else faces this...

aahhh yes!
You are right.
However...yours are being extremely stressed there.
And that's to do with the custom tips - mine are opposite too, however aren't as stressed as yours.
I agree FS should have had that in mind/thought about it.

And wait....why don't you wear the mg7's straight down, seeing as you have the custom tips and all (i presume microphonices would be reduced?)

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #684 of 1,216

Quote:

aahhh yes!
You are right.
However...yours are being extremely stressed there.
And that's to do with the custom tips - mine are opposite too, however aren't as stressed as yours.
I agree FS should have had that in mind/thought about it.

And wait....why don't you wear the mg7's straight down, seeing as you have the custom tips and all (i presume microphonices would be reduced?)

Hmm, perhaps it has to do with me having extremely small ears. Even before, when wearing them with stock tips, the tip of the strain relief would already be at the point where the cable starts to go over my ear, so the year and a half of use has taken its toll.

As for why I wear them over the ear, it's because I like my cables to disappear behind me. It could be due to the fact that I drum and I use these for monitoring, so if the cables were in front of me, they'd get in the way, so it's a habit that just translates even to normal, on-the-go listening. Cables behind also does mean reduced microphonics, comparing directly to if cables were in front and able to get in the way of just about everything.

A little pointless to say, but I do hope FS takes this into account - perhaps consider a shorter, neutral shaped strain-relief, like how Westone and Shure do it, so that it doesn't have to be curved under normal usage. I also own a pair of UM1s, and the strain relief is still quite fine. I belief that strain relief isn't meant to be strained on a regular basis (if it were, then there should be memory wire there, not strain relief). Its purpose is to protect against the cable severing itself from the driver housing in the event of a sudden strain or tug on the cable.

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #686 of 1,216

Quote:
Hmm, perhaps it has to do with me having extremely small ears. Even before, when wearing them with stock tips, the tip of the strain relief would already be at the point where the cable starts to go over my ear, so the year and a half of use has taken its toll.

As for why I wear them over the ear, it's because I like my cables to disappear behind me. It could be due to the fact that I drum and I use these for monitoring, so if the cables were in front of me, they'd get in the way, so it's a habit that just translates even to normal, on-the-go listening. Cables behind also does mean reduced microphonics, comparing directly to if cables were in front and able to get in the way of just about everything.

A little pointless to say, but I do hope FS takes this into account - perhaps consider a shorter, neutral shaped strain-relief, like how Westone and Shure do it, so that it doesn't have to be curved under normal usage. I also own a pair of UM1s, and the strain relief is still quite fine. I belief that strain relief isn't meant to be strained on a regular basis (if it were, then there should be memory wire there, not strain relief). Its purpose is to protect against the cable severing itself from the driver housing in the event of a sudden strain or tug on the cable.

I wouldn't like mine with memory wire...it would irritate me.

Apr 24, 2012 at 2:51 PM Post #689 of 1,216

Quote:
Decided to take some pictures!

Wire is a little stiff

In my ear

Holy moly and I thought the TF10 looked bad being worn.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back