Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
Apr 19, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #646 of 1,216

Quote:

From reading around on this site I found just the opposite. Everyone says that foam tips dampen out the bass and recommend Silicone tips (notably the Sony Hybrid's) for more bass. 

I use the stock silicone tips and I think they have better bass response over the foam also.

Apr 19, 2012 at 6:57 PM Post #648 of 1,216
Since I got my R-50's Monday I've been neglecting my MG7's so I put them on to listen to some old school progressive breaks and they are still one of my favorite pair of IEM's.  I could sell all my others and just keep these and the R-50 and be perfectly happy, well I'd keep the TF10's also.

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #649 of 1,216
from what you read? From what I have experienced it was the oppositte for me. Well whatever works for you then do it.
Quote:

From reading around on this site I found just the opposite. Everyone says that foam tips dampen out the bass and recommend Silicone tips (notably the Sony Hybrid's) for more bass. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:51 PM Post #650 of 1,216

Quote:

are they really that uncomfortable !!??

Quote:
These were so easy to put in...what is he talking about lol?

In his defence, I'm new to custom moulds too and when I first got my SofterWear sleeves, I was clueless as to how best to get them in and out of my ears, so I was nursing sore ears for a while too. Now, I just pull the back of my ear back and upwards and slip the sleeve in with my other hand. They're in in a matter of ten seconds.

To remove, I pull my earlobe downwards to break the seal, then get some leverage under the bowl portion of the mould and gently tug and twist the mould forward, so the helix part of the mould breaks free from its locked position, and opening the seal in the ear canal. I continue the forward twisting motion, thus slipping them out.

I can consistently get a good seal and always get the same sound signature with these, as opposed to the hit-and-miss nature of using universal sleeves/foams.

Quote:

Foam tips, in general, roll off the highs so your treble sparkle is reduced. They are good with sibilant IEMs as they can sometimes reduce the sibilance to a tolerable level. Silicone tips generally retain the low-end qualities of the IEM and also brighten high-end.

These are all generalisations; lots of other factors come into play such as insertion depth, whether or not you get a good seal etc.

Quote:
Since I got my R-50's Monday I've been neglecting my MG7's so I put them on to listen to some old school progressive breaks and they are still one of my favorite pair of IEM's.  I could sell all my others and just keep these and the R-50 and be perfectly happy, well I'd keep the TF10's also.

I had a month break from the MG7s when my TF10s arrived. Back then, I thought, "woah, these UEs are da bomb! I can hear stuff in the high end I've never heard before!" 

Then I pulled out my MG7s from their case. The TF10s now hardly get a listen :x

Apr 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #651 of 1,216
Foams tips have always smoothed out the sound for me (laid back treble) and muddied up the bass a bit.

I don't see why foam tips have such fan-dom, but I can't stand lower quality bass that I perceive is caused by foamies.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:06 PM Post #652 of 1,216
I had a month break from the MG7s when my TF10s arrived. Back then, I thought, "woah, these UEs are da bomb! I can hear stuff in the high end I've never heard before!" 

Then I pulled out my MG7s from their case. The TF10s now hardly get a listen :x - NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote:

In his defence, I'm new to custom moulds too and when I first got my SofterWear sleeves, I was clueless as to how best to get them in and out of my ears, so I was nursing sore ears for a while too. Now, I just pull the back of my ear back and upwards and slip the sleeve in with my other hand. They're in in a matter of ten seconds.

To remove, I pull my earlobe downwards to break the seal, then get some leverage under the bowl portion of the mould and gently tug and twist the mould forward, so the helix part of the mould breaks free from its locked position, and opening the seal in the ear canal. I continue the forward twisting motion, thus slipping them out.

I can consistently get a good seal and always get the same sound signature with these, as opposed to the hit-and-miss nature of using universal sleeves/foams.

Foam tips, in general, roll off the highs so your treble sparkle is reduced. They are good with sibilant IEMs as they can sometimes reduce the sibilance to a tolerable level. Silicone tips generally retain the low-end qualities of the IEM and also brighten high-end.

These are all generalisations; lots of other factors come into play such as insertion depth, whether or not you get a good seal etc.

Then I pulled out my MG7s from their case. The TF10s now hardly get a listen :x

Apr 20, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #653 of 1,216

Quote:

Then I pulled out my MG7s from their case. The TF10s now hardly get a listen :x - NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm upset seeing your status :frowning2:

And yeah about customs they will be different for each ears :)

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:54 AM Post #655 of 1,216
So how do these compare to these VSonic GR06/GR07 and the Sony MDR-EX600 in terms of the bass department ?

Also will any of the IEM's above will look like an upgrade to the V-Moda M80's that i currently have.

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #656 of 1,216
As far as bass goes I haven't heard any IEM's that can compete with these.  I have the GR07 and while it has good bass and really plenty of it for the average person but the MG7 is on a whole other level.  Its sub-bass is unmatched imo and the bass doesn't bleed into the mids at all.

I haven't heard the M-80 so I can't comment on that.

Apr 21, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #657 of 1,216
Hey guys, anyone having trouble with the strain relief on the driver end of the cables? Mine is starting to go soft and give way around where the cable meets the strain relief (pictures below). Has anyone had a fix for this issue?

On a separate note, I have another pair of old Atrios (I think pre-MG7, probably the older MG5 driver) and they were actually fine, but the cable is so stiff that the part where it curls over the ear cracked today when I tried to put it on. Have any of you guys experienced that happening?

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #658 of 1,216

Quote:
Hey guys, anyone having trouble with the strain relief on the driver end of the cables? Mine is starting to go soft and give way around where the cable meets the strain relief (pictures below). Has anyone had a fix for this issue?

On a separate note, I have another pair of old Atrios (I think pre-MG7, probably the older MG5 driver) and they were actually fine, but the cable is so stiff that the part where it curls over the ear cracked today when I tried to put it on. Have any of you guys experienced that happening?

This is the only thing stopping me from getting these atm. You're not the first to mention this :frowning2:

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #659 of 1,216
I wear mine down not over the ears so the strain relief is fine.  If I have a pair that can be worn down thats the way I go because over the ears does tend to make the reliefs fail sometimes.

Apr 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #660 of 1,216

Quote:

This is the only thing stopping me from getting these atm. You're not the first to mention this :frowning2:

I've spoken to David Gray about this. Apparently, the later generations of MG7s (I have an older version - at least 2 years old) have hardier strain relief, and they might consider something different for the next iteration of Atrios, perhaps TF10-style replaceable cables. He didn't divulge too much :wink:

Quote:
I wear mine down not over the ears so the strain relief is fine.  If I have a pair that can be worn down thats the way I go because over the ears does tend to make the reliefs fail sometimes.

Give and take I suppose. Wearing it cables down does create more microphonics. As above, apparently newer MG7s have hardier strain relief. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back