Future Sonics Atrio MG7 Review and Appreciation thread
Feb 18, 2012 at 6:00 AM Post #256 of 1,216

Quote:
wow  just checked and the coupon code still works.

Does any body have an idea how i can get my hands on these ?

I live in Turkey and dont have any pals coming from the U.S. to Turkey anytime soon.

your best bet is to try and get someone from the US to help you out - OR look on the FS forums here, you might find some for $95 or so!

Feb 18, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #257 of 1,216
Just got my MG7's in!
Initial impressions to follow :D!

Initial impressions:
-Closed soundstage.
-Decent sub-bass
-Great quality wire
-Comfortable
-Fit/tip dependant
-A little bright
-Hardly any mid-bass -> TFTA 1XB's destroy these mid-bass wise
-Good instrument separation
-Worth the price tag I paid of $95, but I wouldn't pay $200 for these

I need to give these burn-in for sure.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #258 of 1,216

Quote:
Similar experience with me. I got the coppers again because of the price drop with the sales over the holidays and I got a great fit this time with the black foam tips. I got the Atrios after and I generally find the coppers to be better at everything except for the sub bass. The main difference being that the coppers give a much better sense of space and air.

I think if I had never listened to the Coppers before then I would probably like the Atrios a bit more. What I find on the Atrios is that the instruments are a little too close together and not placed where I would expect them live. I would describe the sound of the coppers as big and spacious and that of the Atrios as closed and flat.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #259 of 1,216

Quote:
I think if I had never listened to the Coppers before then I would be all over the Atrios as I really like the bass and sub-bass. But I find that on the coppers the instruments are right were I would expect them to be while on the Atrios they are placed closed together. Also I would describe the sound of the coppers as lush and that of the Atrios as flat. I am not saying flat is a bad thing, but I am more of a fan of the spacious huge sound than of the closed up together sound.

I couldn't agree more.
I had the MTPG's that said - and agree with what both of you said.

The MG7's are definitely more flat, or even flatter than anything I've heard in the last 8months.

These earphones remind me vastly of the PFE112's but with more bass.
That said the PFE112's had better instrument separation.

One could even compare the se535's to the pfe 112's and MG7's.

EDIT
So far: (bear in mind I need to give these burn-in etc)
I find these MG7's are exactly placed where most might want them.
Not too much bass, but not lacking either.

They are also cheaper (atm) than the MTPG's

-> For $200, i would buy the MTPG's without a shadow of a doubt.

Now these place here for me:
Between the Se535 < PFE112 < Westone 2< MG7
In some respect, they almost sound like BA drivers (notice how the other 3 are all BA drivers)
And the above would be for overall presentation + value for money - for me that said

Then I the dynamics, (as I don't consider any of the above BA's worth even putting in the list) looking at purely bass/lows only:
EX500 < EX700 < Denon C710 < Denon C751 < MG7 < MTPG < TFTA 1V < TFTA 1XB

THIS IS PURELY BASS wise.

(I revised this)

I also came to a huge realisation:
These sound similar to the Denon AH-D2000's!
For me the D2K's is exactly what I want in a HEADPHONE, but not necessarily in an earphone.

Feb 18, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #260 of 1,216

Quote:
Hmm, that doesn't sound like what most people hear. Much like the coppers, the atrios require one to get the right fit and relieve any air pressure in order to have a more spacious sound, so it may be partially a fit issue. As for the treble, most folks found the coppers to have more treble energy. However, the Atrios do have a lower treble bump. I would try other tips.

I came from the coppers and liked the Atrio.

I tried several tips and methods and even came up with this alteration. http://www.head-fi.org/t/596073/how-to-mod-your-futuresonics-atrios-m5-to-fit-sony-hybrid-tips-or-monsters-tips#post_8150089

The one that really made me almost like them was when I removed the core tube from one of the Atrio's foams and was able to use the Monster's foam hybrids. They made me really like them for dance music like Alexandra Stan and DJ music like Kaskade's Fire and Ice but could not get used to music that has actual instruments like guitars and drums as they appear too bunch up and provided a less appealing placement of the instruments as to what I am used to. This made me frustrated and fatigued as I kept wanting to move the instruments while I was listening to them.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #261 of 1,216
This is the combination that worked best for me and I like the Atrios more but they are still not what I am looking for as I like a wider presentation.

These are the the Monsters Foam hybrid on the Atrios. For it to work you need to remove the core inner tube from a set of Atrio foam eartips and slide them down the stem of the Atrio earphones. You then can use all of the tips that Monster makes. If you need to use slightly wider eartips like the Sony hybrids then you would need to follow this link to learn how to. By doing this the choice of eartips is now limitless. :D http://www.head-fi.org/t/596073/how-to-mod-your-futuresonics-atrios-m5-to-fit-sony-hybrid-tips-or-monsters-tips#post_8150089

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #262 of 1,216
Its a very nice mod :)

EDIT:
My video finished uploading, unboxing the MG7's:

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #263 of 1,216
Interesting that you find them on the bright side, as I would no doubt place these on the dark end of the spectrum. What tips were you using?

Quote:
Just got my MG7's in!
Initial impressions to follow :D!

Initial impressions:
-Closed soundstage.
-Decent sub-bass
-Great quality wire
-Comfortable
-Fit/tip dependant
-A little bright
-Hardly any mid-bass -> TFTA 1XB's destroy these mid-bass wise
-Good instrument separation
-Worth the price tag I paid of $95, but I wouldn't pay $200 for these

I need to give these burn-in for sure.

Feb 18, 2012 at 8:32 AM Post #264 of 1,216

Quote:
Interesting that you find them on the bright side, as I would no doubt place these on the dark end of the spectrum. What tips were you using?

was using double flangue - changed, and now to foamies, and they got a little darker -> more to my liking.

I feel I'll need to bash out another huge review:
TFTA 1XB vs Atrio MG7
The ultimate IEM bass showdown

I'm A/B'ing them as I type.
They are both brilliant earphones.
I can justify the $95 purchase, and similarly put them at the $150 price bracket of the TFTA's - that said, as said before, i wouldn't pay over $200 for these (MG7)

I'll need to also go back to my TFTA review, and my 7x earphone comparison for several reasons:
Lower the rating a LITTLE of the TFTA's, add the MG7's to my 7x earphone review.

Long story short:
I'll retract my statement about scratching my head over Nav's comment.

The Mg7's are deep, sub-bass orientated, great texture and good mids/highs - possibly a little too much for my liking at times.
The TFTA 1XB's slap you in the face with mid-bass, but also have a lot of sub-bass too -> that said its overshadowed by the mid bass.
Where as the mg7's are exactly the opposite, so to speak.
More sub-bass, that "overshadows" (probably not the right word to use) the mid-bass.

Both are great - I'm enjoying them :)
Seeing as I'm getting/got some amps, which if proven good, I will use daily on my commute as a portable amp, then the MG7's will become my primary earphones, as if I want to boost their bass - I will be able to.

Feb 18, 2012 at 9:14 AM Post #266 of 1,216
Let me give these MG7's more burn-in and some time, before giving any "purchasing advice" - as Its not fair to judge at "first look"

The above were first impressions, and I even retracted a statement I made.
So atm, my word isn't "golden", well it never is anyway lol - but I would wait untill I have been using the MG7's for a while to give you, and the forums a precise and accurate review on the MG7's v 1XB.

All aside, the TFTA 1XB's are really the kind of bass, especially mid-bass.
I haven't still heard anything that matches them.

However, as said before the mid-bass on the 1XB's overshadows the sub-bass.
Atm listening to the A10 amp with XB boost on (ie bass boost) and holy...the MG7's sub-bass is putting a smile on my face :D!
Even when listening to destiny's child LMAO :D

EDIT:
Again initial impressions, but the A10 adds that mid-bass quite A LOT to the MG7's

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #267 of 1,216
Anyone else pairing their Atrios with a ZO? I'm loving the sound i'm getting. I have some Comply tips on the Atrios with the ZO connected to either my iPod (music) or iPhone (Netflix). I have no desire to use any other IEMs...these are very satisfying.

Feb 18, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #269 of 1,216

Quote:
Anyone else pairing their Atrios with a ZO? I'm loving the sound i'm getting. I have some Comply tips on the Atrios with the ZO connected to either my iPod (music) or iPhone (Netflix). I have no desire to use any other IEMs...these are very satisfying.

I have the A10 & E11, and the ZO2 should be on their way soon :D!
Looking forward to it now, after your comment :)

Feb 18, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #270 of 1,216

Quote:

The bass is probably crazy with the ZO, eh?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back