Future Setup, Long(ish)-Term Plans
Mar 26, 2006 at 5:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

zancxia

100+ Head-Fier
This topic doesn't just pertain to headphones, but I figured that it was best to ask here. Since the headphones are the main source for additional questions... I figured that is where I should start.

About 2 weeks ago, I went through a series of co-op interviews at my university (Clemson), and after waiting a short while, I heard a response from my favorite of the 9 companies. They gave me an offer, and I will be working there from May to December (if everything goes well
rolleyes.gif
).

The day before those interviews, my DT880 finally came in the mail, and I have been enjoying them since. At the time, I figured I would have them for a good, long while. I wasn't counting (although I was hoping) that I would get a co-op placement, and I would finally have a healthy income (in addition to the real world experience and know-how, which is really the most important part--no joke
tongue.gif
).

So, now that I know I'll have plenty of money to blow, I've decided that I'll commit some of it to "the hobby." While I wasn't planning to, because of this, I will *probably* be moving the Beyers aside, and giving myself a "real" setup to work with. (By "real," I'm not referring to just the Beyers themselves, I 'm talk about the whole package--source, amp, and 'phones).

So, here's the deal. I'm going to commit ~$850+whatever-the-Beyers-sell-for into a package; so maybe... $1030 (round to $1050).

If you were starting from scratch, what components would you reach for to create your "perfect" setup.... of course, keeping in mind, that it is around $1100 at most.

Notes:

-- I'd prefer to get the most out of my money, even though I know I'm spending a good bit. Please, when making suggestions, do not just pick an <amp, source, headphone> just because it costs more, but only offers a .1% SQ difference. If a cheaper alternative is nearly as good (almost to the point of being interchangeable), I'd like to know. If I only have to spend $750, that'd be great!

-- Preferences: Detail, detail, detail. Forward, involving, Grado-like sound... from what I've heard, that could mean Grado, Audio Technica, (Uh.....), etc.
tongue.gif
I don't mind "bright" at all... in fact, I *might* dislike something less than my (old) Grado or Beyers... audio technica... Sony? Something with good bass impact, but nothing to sacrifice the other frequencies, although I might like it if the bass had a warm quality to it. Maybe that is something that the source/amp could provide. Ideally, mids would be good... of course.

-- I don't have a preference about dynamic or electrostatic; in fact, I'm kind of curious about the stat sound... maybe The Koss?

-- Laptop-as-source would be ideal, unless no sound card could provide the detail I'm looking for. I was thinking maybe an Echo Indigo, but maybe I'm wrong. My music will be saved using EAC -> Monkey Audio.

If you can tell... I really don't know, and I'll really need some help with this. I appreciate you reading this much of my post, and I hope I haven't wasted too much of your time.
icon10.gif
Suggestions are definitely appreciated.

Also, no "sorry about your wallet" comments are necessary.
rolleyes.gif
I'm making more money than I've ever had... by far. I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with this commitment. With no other major expenses planned by me, I'll have a good savings account after the fact.
icon10.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #2 of 19
Do you not like your Beyers? I intend to keep mine, even though my amp is twice the cost, and my source, when I make an upgrade, will be up to $600 as well.

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #3 of 19
I'm not exactly sure. I'm positive that I'm not getting the most out of them right now. They aren't as detailed or as clear as they could be.

Still, I don't feel that they have as forward a sound as I'd like from my 'phones. I've been trying to accelerate the breaking-in of the pads, but I don't see them collapsing too much more.

As far as I can tell right now, they are terrific for what they do. I'm definitely hearing things that I've never heard before. It is really amazing, and the sound sig., other than the sound placement, is along the lines of what I'm looking for. The bass is much better than I was originally expecting, and the treble isn't offensive.

Better is always out there. I'm still considering my options though.

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:22 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
i heard that K701 haves better details then any of its competetors.

More detail than the SA5000s? Not on this planet
biggrin.gif
. More refined maybe but not more detailed.

Mar 26, 2006 at 7:29 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
i heard that K701 haves better details then any of its competetors.

I find my K701s very detailed, but if what the OP is looking for is a forward, Grado-like sound, these are not it. Perhaps you should consider getting some Headphile-modded MS2is? I hear they're magical for the Grado sound; forward, with more comfort and soundstage (and at least the same level of comfort you're used to with the Beyerdynamics). MS2is you could get used here for around 250 tops. So 250 plus 100 for the C-pads. That's 350. Say you go for a recable, too. I believe that's around 150 if you get the longer cable, so 500. You could get those, and then maybe pick up a Millett, which are known for their awesome synergy with Grados. That's probably around ~200. So with that setup you're at about $700. Then, you could get a nice DAC/CD player if you felt you needed that. I don't have any recommendations on those, though, I'm afraid.

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
I find my K701s very detailed, but if what the OP is looking for is a forward, Grado-like sound, these are not it. Perhaps you should consider getting some Headphile-modded MS2is? I hear they're magical for the Grado sound; forward, with more comfort and soundstage (and at least the same level of comfort you're used to with the Beyerdynamics). MS2is you could get used here for around 250 tops. So 250 plus 100 for the C-pads. That's 350. Say you go for a recable, too. I believe that's around 150 if you get the longer cable, so 500. You could get those, and then maybe pick up a Millett, which are known for their awesome synergy with Grados. That's probably around ~200. So with that setup you're at about $700. Then, you could get a nice DAC/CD player if you felt you needed that. I don't have any recommendations on those, though, I'm afraid.

icon10.gif
Thanks a lot for info. Grado/Alessandro is definitely one of my considerations right now. Because I've had a Grado, I'm a little interested in knowing what other brands might suit my tastes. I'll definitely keep this in mind, though.
tongue.gif

ODG, yes, the SA-5000s might--from what I've heard, I do believe that they might have 'my' sound sig

Any other Sonys I should consider?

ATH-AD2000? Other Audio Technicas?

Any other suggestions?

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by zancxia
icon10.gif
Thanks a lot for info. Grado/Alessandro is definitely one of my considerations right now. Because I've had a Grado, I'm a little interested in knowing what other brands might suit my tastes. I'll definitely keep this in mind, though.
tongue.gif

ODG, yes, the SA-5000s might--from what I've heard, I do believe that they might have 'my' sound sig

Any other Sonys I should consider?

ATH-AD2000? Other Audio Technicas?

Any other suggestions?

In my openion you should have an extra closed can for when you need isolation OR want to play games OR want to shake your head with extra punch.

I recommend Audio Technica A900LTD. AFAIK You wont find inferior details then DT880's. But extra punch and capability of handling surround sound.

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 19
Agreed with Agile_one (of course, if I don't agree he won't let me come over anymore!). But no really, with laptop as source the Aria is on par with any other USB sound device and has the amp built in, all for a really great price. To get any better you'd need one of the fancy DAC's with USB input or even a sound card with digital outs and an expensive DAC. Either way you'd eat up your whole budget on a source and not get a huge improvement. I believe Agile_one owns an Aria but I'll chime in that I bought one for my parents and got to play with it for a while and was very impressed with any comparison I put it up to.
I would advise that you hang onto your DT-880 for a bit and try the SA-5000 and perhaps a K701 and keep what you like best (maybe even more than one if you find that one of them does a better job with a large portion of your music.)

Mar 27, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 19
Thanks guys. The Aria looks like a great amp, especially for my needs. Good suggestion on the headphones too... I wouldn't want to regret giving up the Beyers....

Still, more suggestions would be great. I wont be buying this setup for a long time, and any additional support would help me with my decision.

I've heard that the Sonys can be a bit dry... and I'm looking for a headphone with a bit fuller, warmer sound. Not sure if the Aria would "correct" that or not.

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 19
Well, I've looked around, and it seems like both items can be had for about $400 each, which is great if it is really where I want to go.

My options are still wide-open though, and I'll be doing a lot more research before then. Are there any other headphones/amps/sources I should consider/look into?

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:17 PM Post #15 of 19
rs-1 + ra-1. If you want grado sound, get a grado. If you want stylish crap, get a sony.

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back