Fun with the DT880, AH-D2000, and HD650
Apr 25, 2010 at 4:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

luckybaer

Headphoneus Supremus
I received my AH-D2000 and HD650 a day and a half ago, and I've been listening to them (along with my venerable DT880) as often as possible. I've only played pop/rock type music so far, and I am looking forward to playing some classical music in a few days.

All I can say is the two new headphones are making me quite happy with the investment. They both compliment each other and the DT880 well.

Initial impressions (PC -> MP3 320Kbps -> Foobar -> HeadRoom Micro DAC -> HeadRoom Micro Amp):

HD650 - I can see why these are considered darker/warmer headphones. To me, it isn't completely due to the fact that they do roll off the higher end (around 10 kHz). Rather, in these early stages of listening and usage, I think the bass (the 50-250 Hz range) - is emphasized - strongly enough to create that warmth, and when coupled with the not-too-bright high end, that sense is intensified. I don't see this as a negative, though. I see it more of a difference compared to other headphones.

I see words like "lush" and "smooth" tossed around to describe headphones including the HD650, and I now understand what those listeners are describing. Words like harsh, bright, etc. will probably never be mentioned in the same breath with the HD650. I am completely lost when I have these headphones on. I've spent a lot of time looping songs like Rush's "YYZ", Edgar Winter's "Frankenstein", and XTC's "Ballad of Peter Pumpkinhead" and "Mayor of Simpleton." I like to call the experience "polished, smooth, and meaty."

On songs with a lot of activity above the 10 kHz area, the HD650 softens them just enough to facilitate a longer, non-fatiguing listening session. On songs that don't emphasize that frequency area much, I am finding myself asking for a bit more high-end - I noticed this on "Frankenstein." This point is a result of me really, REALLY trying to find something to grumble about. The HD650s deserve every bit of the praise they've received over the years.

Comfort is good. They seem comparable in weight to the DT880, and although they clamp on my size 7 1/4 melon pretty well, it is not uncomfortable. It is noticeable, however, but it makes me take the phones off every now and then, and that gives my head AND my hearing a break.

D2000 - These headphones sound really good. I think they are pretty neutral until you hit the 1-3 kHz zone. It doesn't jump out at me, but on some higher male vocals and some guitar work it is noticeable. I looked at the frequency response graph at headphone.com, and it looked as though that part of the spectrum was REALLY rolled off relative to the HD650 and DT880, but in actuality, it didn't sound as dramatic. I think that maybe the D2000 picks things up around >3 kHz that the graphically depicted drop isn't as noticeable to my ears. For the most part, these headphones are as lush and smooth as the HD650, but they aren't nearly as warm.

I've read that the bass on these beauties is pretty strong. It doesn't seem too strong to me, but I do notice that it has a firm structure provided by the lowest of the lows audible to my ears. In that regard it tops the HD650's bass and the DT880's. I'm listening to the Pixies' "Here Comes Your Man", and these cans really do a great job with the song. Nice extension on the bass without overdoing the warmth. Super smooth vocals and guitar, but with enough bite so as to not lose the oh-so-slight edge to the guitars.

There isn't anything for me to complain about (identifying the rolled off mids is kind of nit-picky). They are pretty comfortable, but I feel as though I really need to be extra-EXTRA careful with them. The cups look like they are greasy fingerprint magnets! Oh, and the pleather pads haven't made me sweat, but I am sitting in a relatively cool and dry climate controlled environment.

DT880 - Crisp and analytical with an under-rated lower end. I've had these for almost 4 years, and they are (were?) the go-to headphone in my collection. To me, they are almost perfect, except for their brightness - which can be a big issue, unlike the darker HD650, whose darkness isn't something that causes me discomfort. There are some songs that are just too fatiguing to use the DT880. For those moments I used to reach for the K601, but now I'll probably be using the HD650 for those bright works.

But man, with the right music, these babies are so clean and so crisp. What many don't talk about is the firm, deeply extending, tightly controlled bass. I like to joke around and say they make listening to poppy hip-hop stuff like Gorillaz tolerable because I don't feel like someone strapped a 10 inch subwoofer to my head. I guess I just ain't a basshead.

The DT880 is a fun can! Seriously! Just throw on some Elvis Costello, Nick Lowe, or even some Alice in Chains! Guitars ring true, bass doesn't muddy things up, etc.

Comfort-wise, the DT880 is a comfort champ. Just the right amount of clamping, a padded headband that doesn't cause my noggin any pain - quite unlike like the unpadded, hard as heck headband on the K601.

These three headphones are definitely keepers for me. It looks as though the new purchases have made my K601 obsolete. If it weren't for the fact that it was a gift from my mother, I'd sell it. My DT770/80 had been collecting dust until my 3-year old discovered it so he can listen quietly to Black Sabbath, Crazy 8's, and Gorillaz with me and get 100% of his old man's attention.

Sorry to be such a bore. I know I haven't said anything that dozens haven't already posted or published, but I just wanted to provide a new perspective on some tried and true cans.

Quick update: I've got the HD650 on my head, and Foobar randomly selected "Security Joan" by Donald Fagen. Wow! This headphone has got to be the ballz out shizzle with that type of music. Jazz/Fusion genre, I guess...

Apr 25, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D2000 - These headphones sound really good. I think they are pretty neutral until you hit the 1-3 kHz zone. It doesn't jump out at me, but on some higher male vocals and some guitar work it is noticeable. I looked at the frequency response graph at headphone.com, and it looked as though that part of the spectrum was REALLY rolled off relative to the HD650 and DT880, but in actuality, it didn't sound as dramatic. I think that maybe the D2000 picks things up around >3 kHz that the graphically depicted drop isn't as noticeable to my ears. For the most part, these headphones are as lush and smooth as the HD650, but they aren't nearly as warm.

Good ear. The 1-3 kHz zone is what I EQ up with my D2000 to liven them up. Depends on the music as to whether or not the EQ is necessary or needed. I tried EQ out to 4 kHz and beyond but found that something unexpected is going on up there. Maybe a narrow spike or two, or maybe boosting those frequencies just doesn't gel with the Denon sound. It would require some more exploration with the EQ to find out what's going on. For now though I just stick with the 1-3 kHz range and I'm happy.

My D2000 and HD600 do compliment each other but also overlap. 'Tis good to have both.

Pipe organ on the D2000 is fun. Especially with organs that have a 32 foot pipe. The Telarc pipe organ recordings are big organs that have (and use) a 32 foot pipe. Big smiles. The D2000 plays pedal notes that my poor HD600 doesn't even know are there.

I've not had a chance yet to listen to a DT880. It's on my list of phones to try.

Apr 25, 2010 at 7:21 AM Post #4 of 18
i also have the dt 880 250 ohm version and they are my all-around headphones too
biggrin.gif

sufficient bass and analytical sound, i'd agree to that! i don't have any sibilance issues though, i power them up with the little dot mk2 with stock tubes...

your review makes me wanna try out the hd650
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by maruzen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also have the dt 880 250 ohm version and they are my all-around headphones too
biggrin.gif

sufficient bass and analytical sound, i'd agree to that! i don't have any sibilance issues though, i power them up with the little dot mk2 with stock tubes...

your review makes me wanna try out the hd650
smily_headphones1.gif

I fiddled around with an EQ and the DT880 last night, and I noticed that if I used a low pass filter that starts to gradually filter out the highs from 12.5 kHz range and higher that the phones are less fatiguing with some of my music.

Also of note: the music that is fatiguing with the DT880 in my collection is stuff that is very, very busy in the higher frequencies and the stuff appears to have been mastered pretty loudly. I wouldn't say it is the dreaded "wall of sound," but the song looks pretty solidly blue with a lot of clipping in Audacity. lol I'm no sound engineer, though.

Apr 25, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 18
My headphone journey is pretty much over. The amount of money to move up the hierarchy (HD800, T1, etc.) is too much to spend to achieve the amount of improvement I imagine I'd get. I have three nice headphones that do have some overlap, but each one does some things better than the others. It is pretty easy to slot the DT880 and HD650, but the D2000 doesn't quite fit into any slot neatly - it does a good job with everything without being annoying in any one facet. The "jack of all trades" designation for the D2000 isn't meant to be a backhanded compliment.

Time to focus on some dedicated components and start improving my source. :)

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #7 of 18
interested sir on what dac and amp you will be using to power your 3 headphones... is there a one-for-all solution you are thinking for a dac and an amp sir?

i also want to upgrade my dac for the dt880 and dt990... thanks!

Apr 25, 2010 at 2:36 PM Post #8 of 18
So if you just absolutely HAD to only pick one headphone out of all of these what would you use? You're probably like me because I honestly can't decide between my AKG 702 and Sennheiser HD-600. I'm leaning towards the HD-600 because I just want something with more bass that's a bit more fun to listen to then the 702. They both have thier uses. Of course, the detail is more clear on the AKG 702 for sure.

I remember previous reviews of the HD-650 and they mentioned the same thing about the high end of the HD-650 being rolled off slightly. I like my headphones bright, but not too bright. One example is that my Grado 325i were too fatiguing due to this and I did not like the DT-880 in this regard. I did have the 32 ohm version and I think the sound is not the same as the version you have.

Based on what i've read, heard and have seen on frequency charts, the HD-650 is a more toned down version of the HD-600 when it comes to upper frequencies. This is one reason I picked the HD-600 over the HD-650. Another reason is that I prefer less bass and the HD-600 has a bit less then the HD-650.

I know you said you're done with headphones, but i'm willing to bet money that you would like the HD-600 over the HD-650. I'm one who didn't like the HD-650 much, but I didn't give them a long enough trial. Obviously, both are going to be great no matter what. A few people on here seem to like the HD-600 over the 650.

Anyway, nice review.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:18 PM Post #9 of 18
Which DT880 do you have, OP? I'm curious about the 880 and especially the 990 since it's now come down in price, but after doing a demo at B&H of the 990/250 I'm wondering if the Beyers just aren't for me. I was only listening out of my D4 amp and iPod with LOD, but the sound seemed a little thin and the highs were actually sibilant and painful at times. And I'm not the kind of guy who normally hears sibilance, even on headphones that many others hear it on.

I'm looking for an open can with a complementary sound sig to my D2000. The main candidates would seem to be HD650, K701 and DT990.

BTW, I wore the D2000 with stock pads for about 4 hours straight and found them somewhat hot and uncomfortable. Definitely not as friendly for computer or long listening sessions as the AD700s I sold. I've had the J$ pads for a week or so, they seem more comfortable but I haven't had a long session with them yet.

Apr 25, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #10 of 18
880's sure are good all rounders, but I don't know if I would list them in the fun category.

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

interested sir on what dac and amp you will be using to power your 3 headphones... is there a one-for-all solution you are thinking for a dac and an amp sir?

HeadRoom Micro Amp (desktop module) and Micro DAC is what I use. It is a good starter, stay on the desk amp and DAC for me. I'll be looking to move up the chain once I move to a dedicated source, etc.

Quote:

Which DT880 do you have, OP?

250 ohm version. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3517/...ae7dc35dbf.jpg

Quote:

So if you just absolutely HAD to only pick one headphone out of all of these what would you use?

It might surprise some, but right now I'd take the AH-D2000. It is almost as lush as the HD650, and it has mids and does guitars the way I like the DT880, but it has a little more air in the high end than HD650, and not as bright as DT880. I'm glad I don't have to choose, though.

Quote:

I'm looking for an open can with a complementary sound sig to my D2000. The main candidates would seem to be HD650, K701 and DT990.

Check out those headphone graphs at headphone.com. They aren't the only thing you should base a decision on, but you can at least see where the headphones are along the audio spectrum. For my ears, the graphs portray each headphone pretty well. One of the few times I didn't agree was when the K601 showed as having a lower bass hump than the DT880. K601 always sounded to me as though it had a little more there, but maybe that's because it is less bright, so its bass isn't hidden as much?

Apr 25, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by David.M /img/forum/go_quote.gif
880's sure are good all rounders, but I don't know if I would list them in the fun category.

I like the way they do guitars in rock. Makes me get up and do whatever it is I do when I'm getting into the music. lol

And yes, I know I should try a Grado.
dt880smile.png

Apr 26, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by luckybaer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My headphone journey is pretty much over. The amount of money to move up the hierarchy (HD800, T1, etc.) is too much to spend to achieve the amount of improvement I imagine I'd get ...

I felt this way too (D2000, HD600, 880/600 ... and 701 as well). No need to move to the top tier.

Then I heard 'stats. And the world changed. A used 717 from eBay, and a damaged Baby Orpheus that I had Senn restore. Not even a perfect match (slightly wrong bias voltage), but OMG.

Skip the top of the dynamics, I agree. Save your money, and then go (used) 'stat.

Apr 26, 2010 at 2:53 PM Post #15 of 18
Congrats. Once you truly zone in to the sound of the HD650 - if they are your thing ie, smooth and creamy - no other phone at any price can actually better them at what they do best - This saved me a lot of money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back