Fun iem? U12T Mest mkII Monarch
Dec 9, 2021 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

el-jorge

100+ Head-Fier
Ok guys. Here is my problem. I own the Monarch. But I somehow miss something. I really like the sub bass, but I’m not to happy about the mid bass. I also don’t know what is going on with male vocals. They seem recessed. Maybe the monarch is a bit to clinical for my taste.

I listen mostly to EDM, hiphop, Hans Zimmer and electronic rock.

The monarch was my upgrade from the jvc fw01, which sound wise I really liked, they are fun. But with the JVC I never could get a great fit for my ears, couldn’t hold the seal. So I bought the Monarch.

I think I really like a DD base. But I read so many good things about the 64 audio U12T, I’m putting those on my short list. Also the Mest mkII seems to tick the right boxes. After reading a lot those are a little above the U12T now on my shortlist. I also had the Sony Ier-Z1r on my list. But read to much about horrible fits.

I’m afraid making the same mistake as with the monarch, which I thought would be my TOTL, but they are to clinical instead of fun. So maybe you guys can point me in the right direction. Maybe there is another contender to look into?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 29
UM MEST Indigo. If the price is too high, then MEST mkii.

Dec 9, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #4 of 29
Can’t go wrong with U12t.

It’s an absurd bargain at around $1200 used.

*in the context of headfi

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:30 AM Post #5 of 29
Thanks toaster. I’m leaning right now to the mest mkII. the indigo is a bit out of price range. The U12T is also a contender still. It’s smaller than the mest and I’ve read that you can wear it for multiple hours. But I’m worried that I will miss out on a DD bass.

Dec 11, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 29
What are the sound characteristics that are most important to you?

Vocals, bass, treble, mids, soundstage size, details…?

Dec 11, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #8 of 29
What are the sound characteristics that are most important to you?

Vocals, bass, treble, mids, soundstage size, details…?

I like a good sub-bass, not a real basshead but it has to be good. I like EDM/ trance. The whole bass frequency needs to be good. That is what I don’t like about the monarch, hiphop sounds really thin.
I also listen to pop and rock and indie music with a lot and f electronics, mainly mail voices.
And I really love soundtracks and some classical. So I think soundstage is important also.
I don’t like harsh treble.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 11:23 AM Post #9 of 29
For subbass, what’s more important: extended, deep frequency response, or dd texture?

Dec 11, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 29
For subbass, what’s more important: extended, deep frequency response, or dd texture?
That’s a good question, which I don’t really know how to answer. Let me try to explain. For EDM I like bass, like “boohm”(the monarch does this). For hiphop it should be more like a deep “oomph”(I don’t really get this with the monarch). So my guess is texture is important. But deep response maybe just a bit more.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #15 of 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back