Fun all-rounder under £30
Oct 8, 2011 at 8:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

RoosterDude

Head-Fier
Hey guys! I know there's lots of threads like this but I'm hoping you can find me an IEM suited to me for my tight budget!

1. I listen to everything but classical and jazz. My favourite band is the rolling stones. I also listen to a fair bit of modern pop and hip-hop, modern and 90s dance and indie rock.
  2. Must be well built and comfortable
  3. Much rather have a fun/engaging sound than an analytical one
  4. Ideally available to buy in the UK

I await your recommendations!

Oct 8, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #2 of 9
I think that the new Brainwavz Betas should be a contender - they're fairly neutral, so they're usable across many genres, but certainly not boring, with a well extended bass. I'm listening to Sympathy for the Devil on mine now, sounds great.

They can be sibilant, but only very occasionaly with horrific, hot recordings - if you're a Britney Spears fan, they're not for you (I'm not, I was just testing them with varied material).

They're too new to really have a more than subjective sense of the build quality, but subjectively they seem fine to me.

They can be bought online, not via a UK stockist, but mine came to the UK reasonably quickly.

I'm really impressed with these, they're outrageously good for the price.

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Good shout mate! Haven't seen them mentioned a lot on here but they do look good! From what I've seen some people have reservations about the build quality but I guess you can't have everything for £30!

Sympathy for the devil is one of my favourite stones tracks.. absolutely love that intro! And whilst I'm not a Britney fan, I do listen to some modern pop music so maybe that could be a problem.

Saying that, I'll look into them some more. Any others I should look at?

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:49 PM Post #4 of 9
Dunu Trident. EXCELLENT build quality and definitely one of the best bang for buck earphones under £30. You can get it off frogbeats for £19 + 10% discount with discount code CROAK10. 

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 9
If isolation is important I think the Beta's may be a bad choice but otherwise I would recommend them as well. Their cable is a bit thin but the strain reliefs and cable protectors seem to be pretty solid on them.

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
Dunu Trident. EXCELLENT build quality and definitely one of the best bang for buck earphones under £30. You can get it off frogbeats for £19 + 10% discount with discount code CROAK10. 

Thanks for your advice everyone! I did a bit more research and eventually plumped for the Tridents. The build quality and UK stock were the winners! @kcfc, or anyone else, got advice on what tips to use.. or are the stock ones fine?

Oct 10, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
Thanks for your advice everyone! I did a bit more research and eventually plumped for the Tridents. The build quality and UK stock were the winners! @kcfc, or anyone else, got advice on what tips to use.. or are the stock ones fine?

That's a great pair of headphones.  I use the stock tips, they come with plenty of tips (I think 6 if memory serves correctly).  Just make sure you got a great seal (good doesn't ever cut it for audio quality) in both ears. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back