Fun 3d soundstage audio test!
Jan 6, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #31 of 44
Listening with HF-1's in dark room with eyes closed.

I could clearly detect the sound in front of me but I could not tell by how much.
when teh sound tried to go up I couldnt hear it moving but when it moved down I had an urge to reach down to see if there was something at my feet.

very cool
biggrin.gif

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:29 AM Post #33 of 44
wow. this is amazing. where can i find more of this?

I almost turned my head to look where the sound is coming from.

Jan 6, 2006 at 5:30 AM Post #34 of 44
I listened to this through my hd280s. The soundstage was somewhat impressive. At first I actually thought I had left the speakers turned up in my room. Very strange. Though, the vertical distance, especially the downside, was quite poor to my ears. The front side was in my head (maybe my forehead tops :p), yet the backside was about 6 inches off the back of my head. It was around 1.5 feet on the sides. This is one of the most impressive binaural recordings I have heard, then again my headphone collection is (as of now mind you) limited to the 280's. It would be awesome to hear more complicated recordings like this. Maybe its my amp (home receiver), but did the rest of you hear the highs crackle (unnaturally of course) as he lit the match?

Jan 6, 2006 at 6:54 AM Post #36 of 44
I hate that putfile place. Tried and tried and even set up an account trying to download the file, but it won't let me. So instead I found a site that site many more binaural recordings, and includes this matchsticks one (although I'm not sure).

http://www.noogenesis.com/binaural/binaural.html

Jan 7, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #38 of 44
Whoa! Someone has GOT to try this with Beyers (770 or 880 worked amazing)! He's completely moving ALL the way around me!

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:08 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt8268
I hate that putfile place. Tried and tried and even set up an account trying to download the file, but it won't let me. So instead I found a site that site many more binaural recordings, and includes this matchsticks one (although I'm not sure).

http://www.noogenesis.com/binaural/binaural.html

You must be one of those neglected Mac users like me
frown.gif

(I had the same trouble)
That's OK, I looked in the source and found the location for the actual file, it's here: http://x502.putfile.com/videos/b4-304424149.mp3

That was cool. I heard him make a very distinct circle around my head and the up and down was pretty amazing too (Using RS-1)
TR

Jan 7, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R
You must be one of those neglected Mac users like me
frown.gif

(I had the same trouble)
That's OK, I looked in the source and found the location for the actual file, it's here: http://x502.putfile.com/videos/b4-304424149.mp3

Thanks
biggrin.gif

That is pretty neat. With Sony EX-71's (I'm waiting for ETY ER6i's I ordered to come in), I was able to hear the person circling, but I couldn't hear the vertical movements.

I then found my pair of cheap Philips headphones and tried them. I could hear distinct changes in vertical position.

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:18 PM Post #41 of 44
not had chance to listen to that sample yet.. have heard it described before and so definitely will give it a go.

For those on the look out for more binaural recordings check out my post on headfi describing my binaural recordings

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21786

Thats the problem with a site as big and busy as headfi, things can certainly get lost occasionally. There is plenty of discussion and recommendations on that page, which links to my actual binaural homepage.

I tried to distinguish myself from the few other binuaral recordings available online by

i) using MPC format, the highest quality lossy codec available, to preserve as much of the recording as possible. In fact one recording is online in lossless ape format, but i cannot afford the bandwidth required for that all the time.

ii) I try to put entire recordings online of many minutes long. sometimes 20-30 minutes plus.. most other sites only have snippets of longer recordings online, again for bandwidth costs and other reasons. The longer recordings for me let you really sink into the place that is being recorded.

Do check it out.. I'm quite happy with a lot of the results.. I have more recordings to get online, really should get round to doing that again soon.

As for the person wondering what the K1000s would sound like with this recording. I was recently suprised to hear how startling binaural recordings sounded with the K1000s.. they use a natural crossfeed binaural listening setup anyways to enhance stereo material, something that should muddy actual binaural recordings (which are only meant to be heard by each ear independantly) but i found the effect to be generally pleasing. Perhaps not as natural as it could be but large swings in space were heard much more clearly to me than in the natural presentation that my other headphones give.

Anyways enjoy.

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:35 PM Post #42 of 44
Quote:

If you are using Internet Explorer then goto View -> Source.
Just search for ".mp3" in Notepad and you will find the true link of the file.

Jan 7, 2006 at 8:49 PM Post #43 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatality_
That sounds amazing. Here i am sitting staticly listening to some rattling with a sick grin on my face
icon10.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi!
wink.gif

This has been posted before, and man is it a cool recording. It sounds amazing on my HF-1's... and this is with the flats! Once I closed my eyes, I could hear the matches going in front, but it was so weird, because they only made sound "in my mind" where open space was. In other words, it's like my brain knew I was in a chair sitting in front of a desk, so the matches never sounded like they were under the desk or inside it, but above it.

The last time this was posted, it was an MP3. I uploaded the MP3 to yousendit for anyone who wants it:

http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...93U1XX21M9ICKG

Jan 7, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #44 of 44
Wow, thats pretty sweet.

I've noticed some albums are recorded a bit like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back